SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Sage Icon

Question (I think) about aspect ratios

Hi. I am now installing a 2nd SageTV client, this one hooked to a Sony SXRD display, which is a full 1080p set. The video card is set to use 1080p, and playing back a 1080i movie with either powerdvd or WMP in full screen fills the screen with excellent detail (the Sony is set to "full", so no stretching).

When I play it back in Sage however, I get black bars on the top. Even though I ran through the overscan calibration, I still get this. On some programming, the VBI "dot crawl" is clearly visible, just under the top black bar. Aspect ration in Sage is set to source, so I expect it to output a signal with whatever resolution the source has, am I right here?

What am I doing wrong here? If I have a 1080i movie, shouldn't it fill a 1080p display? Why do the other players seem to do that?

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-05-2007, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you set the Display Aspect Ratio correctly in Sage? This is a separate setting from the playback Aspect Ratio Mode.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM
SageTVaholic

From what I have observed, Overscan Calibration mostly affects the placement of the UI widgets. The actual media is controlled by the aspect ratio setting of the monitor you configure in the hardware setup wizard - you select this right before / after setting the overscan (can't remember for sure which comes first!)

You might have it set to 16:10 in that menu - which most widescreen LCD computer monitors typically fall under. So if you set up the client on a different screen (ie not on your nice Sony), that setting could still be there causing you issues......

btl.

Last edited by bialio; 08-05-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
Aspect ration in Sage is set to source, so I expect it to output a signal with whatever resolution the source has, am I right here?
That's what I do for my DVDs, etc. I only have the client set to 720p though as 1080i made all TV/DVD content look really bad.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Did you set the Display Aspect Ratio correctly in Sage? This is a separate setting from the playback Aspect Ratio Mode.
Ugh. That was it. SageMC's detailed setup doesn't have that option, whereas the default UI does. Changing this fixed the problem.

Thanks,
Mike