SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Sage User

Question about R5000 with a 2nd SD source.

Hello,

Okay, I've been reading as many threads as I could find regarding the Nextcom R5000, and there is still something that is not clear to me about using it on a setup when you have multiple sources.

I currently have a SageTV setup that I love with just a single tuner source, a DISH311 receiver with its output being fed into my Sage server via a Hauppauge PVR-500. (And yes, I know the PVR-500 is a dual capture card, but I'm only using one of its inputs.)

So I'm ready to make the jump to HD, and for many reasons I really want/need to stick with DISH. So getting a Vip211 R5000 receiver seems to be the way to go. So my question boils down to this, should I have the R5000 take the place of my current standard-def 311 source, OR be in addition to it?

For what I hope are obvious reasons, I'd really like to have the R5000 be in addition to my current receiver and have a dual capture situation on my Sage server (with one being HD and the other SD). If I do this however, how do I make sure that Sage always first chooses from an HD channel rather than its SD equivlant? For example, I want to record the Soprano's as a favorite. How will Sage know to record it from the HBO-HD channel, rather than any of the HBO-SD channels from my 311 receiver?

I'm guessing the answer to my question is that I'll have to edit the channel guides so that the SD-only source doesn't have any of the channels that are in HD from my HD source (the R5000). But even then, couldn't there still be issues? Take again my Soprano's example, let's say that during the 8pm first-showing of Soprano's I instead want to record another HD program on another channel. Because the Soprano's is on so many times across all of HBO's stations, how will Sage know to wait for the next time it is on the HD-HBO channel (obviously without another conflict), instead of picking up sooner on one of the SD-HBO channels?

In short, is there a setting to tell Sage to try all the possible ways to first record a program from an HD station before trying to record it from an SD station?

Sorry for such a long post, but I figured I should try to be absolutely clear rather than create a ping-pong thread. I just haven't found the answer to this question anywhere else.

Thanks! SageTV rocks! C.J.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

I believe at some point in v6 of Sage they made it so Sage will choose an HD show over the equivalent SD show, assuming both are available and all other things are equal (I remember a post on this, and it is also how my system behaves now). Also, you can set the R5000 box to a higher encoder merit in the sage properties file to tell sage to record from it first.

As for favorites you always want to be in HD, you can just set the favorite to only use a specific channel like HBO-HD.

In your lineups, you would likely want to set your R5000 to all available channels, and the PVR-500 to only the SD channels, just so the PVR-500 does not record a show from an HD channel and downgrade the signal.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razillian View Post
In your lineups, you would likely want to set your R5000 to all available channels, and the PVR-500 to only the SD channels, just so the PVR-500 does not record a show from an HD channel and downgrade the signal.
Can this be done?
I have a r5000 mod 211 and 311 sd ird. When I make a change the lineup of one, sage changes the line-up in both. The only way I could get around this was to set the 311 for Philadelphia and the 211 for dishnet nationals
I would love to just remove the HD channels for the 311 line-up so I could set both for Philly. Is this possible?

Just never got around to asking about this until I saw OP's question
Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

I use 2+ lineups for Dish. local and national

lineup one - SD Tuner/Receiver - Only SD Channels - Higher Priority
lineup two - HD Tuner/Receiver - All Channels - Lower Priority

This way, if choosing SD channel, and nothing else is being recorded, it won't tie up your HD receiver
Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
Can this be done?
I have a r5000 mod 211 and 311 sd ird. When I make a change the lineup of one, sage changes the line-up in both. The only way I could get around this was to set the 311 for Philadelphia and the 211 for dishnet nationals
I would love to just remove the HD channels for the 311 line-up so I could set both for Philly. Is this possible?

Just never got around to asking about this until I saw OP's question
That's pretty much the way I do it. I have two Brighthouse lineups, one labelled "Basic Service" the other "Extended Service" and use them for my nVidia dualtv and Avermedia (recorded from the stb via svideo) respectively. I had to add the Knowledgy lineup for my HDHomerun channels.

There really should be an easy way to use the same guide data but have different lineups, but to my knowledge there isn't yet. Off to go put in a feature request...
Old 08-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razillian View Post
Off to go put in a feature request...
Ditto,

I will do the same