SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Question for SageMC plugin devs

Hi,

based on recent feedback I am planning to remove the "SageMC customized" Detailed Setup screen and let the default STV handle the setup of all non-SageMC specific settings - the switch to the Default STV and back to SageMC will be seamless for the user.

It has always been a struggle to keep up with new or modified settings in new versions of the default STV, and it won't be much different in the future. The planned approach would allow me to provide access to newly introduced core settings almost instantly after a new SageTV release, and people wouldn't be confused any more where a certain setting has to be set. It would also allow me to get rid off this obsolete code in the SageMC STV, this would make the SageMC STV considerably (about 1 MB!) smaller which has several possible benefits like faster STV loading etc.

But I do understand that there are probably some existing SageMC STVis out there which add their options to the Detailed Setup screen, and which would break after such a change. Does anyone who would be affected by this change have any problems with that, or would you be willing to bite the bullet and modify your plugin to use the SageMC options page instead (I'd be willing to offer my help if needed) ?

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar View Post
Hi,

based on recent feedback I am planning to remove the "SageMC customized" Detailed Setup screen and let the default STV handle the setup of all non-SageMC specific settings - the switch to the Default STV and back to SageMC will be seamless for the user.

It has always been a struggle to keep up with new or modified settings in new versions of the default STV, and it won't be much different in the future. The planned approach would allow me to provide access to newly introduced core settings almost instantly after a new SageTV release, and people wouldn't be confused any more where a certain setting has to be set. It would also allow me to get rid off this obsolete code in the SageMC STV, this would make the SageMC STV considerably (about 1 MB!) smaller which has several possible benefits like faster STV loading etc.

But I do understand that there are probably some existing SageMC STVis out there which add their options to the Detailed Setup screen, and which would break after such a change. Does anyone who would be affected by this change have any problems with that, or would you be willing to bite the bullet and modify your plugin to use the SageMC options page instead (I'd be willing to offer my help if needed) ?

Thanks,
Dirk
Dirk, first off thank you for your efforts on SageMC. Many of us here would never have switched to Sage without this STV. While I would prefer it be the default Sage UI and supported by Sage, as long as that isn't the case and the Sage folks are making mods to setup which requires corresponding mods in the STV, I think your suggestion is the right approach.

Thanks for all your work here.

Thx
Mike
Old 08-27-2007, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

The SageMC options menu couldn't be easier to use, hell even I can do it

For my plug-in I created a button in the extras section that launches a pop-up menu that contains all of my new options. I modeled (read: copied and pasted) it after the Screensaver options from the main section. I believe that's how the Calender Plug-in does it also.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

So, did you make a decision on how you were going to proceed, and are you in fact planing on linking to the "detailed setup" screen from the default .stv? There are a few features I would like to be able to set utilize that are included in the the version/ui that haven't made their way over to SageMC yet.

Also, any idea on approximately when a new version might come along, and perhaps some insight into what features you are looking at including?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12 View Post
So, did you make a decision on how you were going to proceed, and are you in fact planing on linking to the "detailed setup" screen from the default .stv? There are a few features I would like to be able to set utilize that are included in the the version/ui that haven't made their way over to SageMC yet.

Also, any idea on approximately when a new version might come along, and perhaps some insight into what features you are looking at including?
Yes, this has all been done already, the "Detailed Setup" button will automatically switch over to the default STV, and it will be easy to return to SageMC. The new version takes a little longer than anticipated because I decided to include some more functionality in this release. Hope to have it ready in a week or two. As to what will be included - I think it will be worth the wait...

Dirk