SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Sage User

sagetv not deleted fragments to free disk space

I am having a cronic problem with my disk filling up. I've allocated a very small 30GB for sage because thats all i have for now. Thats still enough for the maybe 2 shows a day i want recorded. The problem is that as this space gets full, it never deletes show fragments or watched shows to free up space for new recordings. Instead I get the "seeker unable to free up disk space" popup, which freezes sage client and forces my to clear it (the popup and disk space) manually on the sage server. How can i get it to delete files like it should and how can i get it to not hang the client?
Old 01-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Sage Icon

You should probably just delete the files. You may want to check the video library to see if the names are there. This might explain why SageTV will not remove them. Although why SageTV moved the files there is unknown to me at this time, but has to happened to me and others. If then files are in the listed in the TV guide then I would have expected SageTV to delete when more space was needed.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Sage User

should fragments of shows show up in the sage recordings listing? The files are in the dir on the server with all the other recordings, but they do not show up in the listing.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Sage Icon

If they are fragments from watching Live TV they will not show up. I very seldom watch live TV so not sure of behaviour but think those fragments may only be deleted when exiting or entering Sage TV. I think it is safe to say you can always delete what you consider junk, without causing any problems for SageTV. However, one member did encounter a problem with entries in the video library but the files did not exist and no method to correct that problem.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi

You need to make sure you set this to true, in sage properties.

seeker/delete_partials_on_exit=true

true/false deletes all of those little files when you quit SageTV

That way when you exit sage it deletes the partial recordings from live tv.

If you are like me thou that would not be very often, I only exit sage when i have to, normally cos i am playing with some thing. But some times that can mean 6 or seven days.

So the alternatives are.... Delete them yourself, over the network or by directly accesing the directory, or let sage manage it's self.

Tip:-- As my HTPC is dedicated to solely the job of HTPC, I have disabled/removed my recycle bin, this will save you a ton of space and the hassle of emptying the recycle bin.

On that note I have also used the xp version of lite xp, to remove alot of windows, I use myhtpc as my shell

Dan

P.S you seriously need a bigger hard drive!!
Old 01-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Sage Expert

What is the default for "seeker/delete_partials_on_exit"??

DFA
Old 01-06-2004, 01:01 PM

Default is false - which is let Sage delete as necessary.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Sage Expert

Now I am confused.

I also have to manually delete old live tv files that accumulate. It is said that these should be automatically deleted when Sage is fully exited (not just "sleep"). Or does this mean a reboot exit? I have exited and started Sage but the old files do not delete.

Danward79 said that "seeker/delete_partials_on_exit" should be set to "true" which makes sense within the context of the tag name. But you (mlbdude) now say set to false (and I know you are experienced Sage dude). I found the setting in my config file set to "true".

Bottom line: what needs to be done to make these files clean up automatically when Sage is cycled. I have noted that all of the undeleted files are bigger than the "trash can" will accept. Does this have anything to do with it? Sage does seem to delete smaller files because I know they have been there. I will confirm this.

But exactly what is meant by "partials"? Maybe the files that do not delete do not meet the definition of "partial".

DFA
Old 01-06-2004, 11:39 PM
SageTVaholic

To clarify what mlbdude said, I think he meant that set to false lets Sage delete the files as necesary when space was needed, and set to true forces Sage to delete the files on exit (when you close the app).

DFA,
As for your problem, your last comment gave me an idea. There must be some criteria for determining partials, <50% or something. There is also a criteria for setting a show as watched >90% or something. Perhaps the your fragments are falling in some void between the two, where they are too big to be considered "partials" but too little watched to be considered "watched"

Do the fragement shows show up in Sage Recordings but not as watched?
Old 01-07-2004, 03:48 AM
SageTVaholic

I've allocated a very small 30GB for sage

Have you checked that this 30GB of disk space is really there? I have seen other threads where sage has had problems when it has been given a fixed amount of disk space, but the disk is alreasy too full from other things: (ie 40Gb disk, 30GB allocated to sage, but contains 20GB of 'other' things, means that there is only really 20GB to give to Sage!)

For this reason I always use the 'leave x Gb Free' mode when defining my video library...
Old 01-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Sage User

I actually have it set to leave 2GB free (after reading a post about it miscalculating free space on someone machine). Its an 80GB drive, 50GB of which holds my CD collection, so thats were the 30GB figure came from.
One update: I was able to convice my roommate to share an empty 80GB drive he had sitting in his machine. Since then i have not had an issue with seeker failing to find space or deleteing watched/less important shows. Could it just be that sage really wants a min amount of space of say 50 or 100GB to function properly? Something to do with the way it decides when it can delete things?
Old 01-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Sage Expert

Stager89:

OK. Thanks for the clarification on mlbdude; he threw me on that one.

I have more closely observed the deletion behavior and can state the following:

On exit, "partial" files are indeed deleted. A "partial" file is any show that has not been fully recorded from start to end even if the "show" is made up of several files.

The thing is, the fully recorded "Live" shows that remain intact and undeleted do not show up in "Sage Recordings" or anywhere else. These "shows" are apparently what is accumulating that I am deleting by hand from time to time.

This is what seems to be happening from what I can tell for now. I will continue to pay closer attention to what is retained before deleting willy-nilly.

EDIT:
I found that for the undeleted fully recorded shows, I can pull up the schedule and go back in time, double click (select) and, voila, that show will begin to play. The thing is, the subject show in the schedule does not give any hint that it is available for viewing such as bordered, highlighted, flashing, inversed, etc.. I have EPG animation OFF by default. Perhaps it should be turned ON. I have also noted in the config file that "seeker/archive_directory=" is blank. Perhaps it should point to the Sage recordings partition. Also, maybe these fully recorded shows will fall off (delete) when the shedule rolls over. Again, I will pay closer attention. So, it appears so far that things are as intended and more an issue of comprehension.

By the way, what is the difference between "Sage Guide" and "LiveTV Guide"?

MORE EDIT:
"seeker/archive_directory" is the "Libraries" path. I had never specified one in Setup and have now done so.

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 01-07-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage Guide is basically a combination of Recording Schedule, Sage Recordings, and LiveTV Guide, where LiveTV Guide is just the Guide.

At least that's how it seems to me.