SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Sage User

media extender - linux compatibility

i couldn't find a definite answer to this anywhere. is it feasible to have a sage backend server running the linux version of sage, and then only use media extenders as frontends? the media extenders are compatible with the linux sage, right? any downside to doing something like this vs. using a windows backend (i guess aside from not being able to use some of the customizations).
Old 09-22-2007, 04:30 AM
SageTVaholic

I use linux server with 4 MVPs and 2 Windows clients. There are some specific add-ons which won't work, but for the most part they do.

B
Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Sage User

Linux only

The setup you described in your question is what I have. The backend uses a Hauppauge PVR-250 card, controlling a cable tuner. The only front-end that I use is the MVP, attached to a television set. The connection between the MVP and the Linux box is actually over a pair of WRT54G's running OpenWRT. The hardest part was configuring the DHCP and TFTP services.

Side note: The setup is especially nice with Nielm's web interface which allows me to set schedules from just about anywhere.

- joat
Old 09-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Sage User

so how do the addons work? i guess my impression of the media extender is that it has its own client software on it. i know i could be wrong there. so can you put addons on the media extender? or is it just driving whatever addons you have loaded on the backend? if there is more info about this somewhere that i just haven't looked enough for, please point me to it. thanks guys.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Sage Icon

What does the MVP boot screen look like on the OEM version?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

It depends on what addon you want. You don't actually add anything to the extender - it is a standalone box that (I believe) downloads an image from the server on boot. This image allows it to interact with the server. Think of the extender as a decoupling of the GUI from the rest of the software. The GUI doesn't actually *do* anything.

Most addons/customizations will work with the MVP extender. Some obviously won't, like those that launch separate applications like IE or DVD authoring.

Also, the SageTV software allows each GUI to use a different set of customizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlewa View Post
so how do the addons work? i guess my impression of the media extender is that it has its own client software on it. i know i could be wrong there. so can you put addons on the media extender? or is it just driving whatever addons you have loaded on the backend? if there is more info about this somewhere that i just haven't looked enough for, please point me to it. thanks guys.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
What does the MVP boot screen look like on the OEM version?
I believe the MVP's boot screen is the same regardless of the server OS (Windows/Mac/Linux).

From a "cold start" it shows the default Hauppauge MVP screen. After a few seconds it switches to a Sage branded "splash" screen. Once everything is loaded, the interface looks like the SageTV Client for Windows/Mac or the Sage Placeshifter client.

If the MVP has been put to sleep (i.e. you powered it "off" but it's still plugged in) and you wake it up you just see the Sage branded "splash" screen and then the Sage interface.

--John
Old 10-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Sage Icon

How do they provision modifing that for the OEM purchasers?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
How do they provision modifing that for the OEM purchasers?
Are you asking if SageTV modifies the MVP when they buy it from Hauppauge (the OEM)?

Or are you asking about the behavior with the SageTV Linux OEM server software?

Disclaimer: the behavior I mentioned above was with a MediaMVP from Hauppauge. I don't know if the initial boot screen of the "Media Extender" from Sage is different, but I don't think it is.

When the MVP starts, it looks for a server. The server supplies the code that the MVP runs. Hauppauge provides a program you can install on your PC to do this (but the Hauppauge software is not very pretty). There are also some projects out there that let you provide a different software to run (see the MediaMVP Media Center project for example).

Likewise, the SageTV server software responds to this request from the MVP and supplies software for the MVP to run that presents a SageTV looking GUI. I don't believe that Sage modifies the hardware or firmware on the MVP at all.

--John
Old 10-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

No I mean this should be OEM software, so you can't really have it booting up with the "SageTV media center is booting" stuff like the retail version has.

Are there really any OEM solution providers that frequent here?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
No I mean this should be OEM software, so you can't really have it booting up with the "SageTV media center is booting" stuff like the retail version has.
Oh, I see.

I suspect that the booting splash image is contained in the mvp.bin file that the MVP pulls down from the server, but it's just an educated guess - in the sagetv_0.txt on the server I don't see a separate image being pulled down from the MVP when it boots.

Quote:
Are there really any OEM solution providers that frequent here?
I don't know. Currently I'm just a Plain Old User.

I would assume that SageTV has some guidance on how to create custom boot screens if you are building OEM boxes, but I've never asked. The rest of the SageTV interface is already highly customizable using Studio, of course. They have a link here for OEM partner inquiries.

--John