SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Invalid username errors...

I've been trying to get my placeshifter account working remotely and am getting an invalid user name error. I am able to access the placeshifter via my home network, but logging in remotely is where there is an error.

I went through the tips mentioned in the link below to no avail. Tried the following usernames HTPC logon, HTPC, HTPCII and none will work. For what it's worth each time I changed the windows username, the service would not accept the new name until I went into computer management and manually changed the "Full Name" to the new username...

Neither the username nor the password contains any numbers. The password is 7 characters.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...valid+username
Old 09-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan15 View Post
I went through the tips mentioned in the link below to no avail. Tried the following usernames HTPC logon, HTPC, HTPCII and none will work. For what it's worth each time I changed the windows username, the service would not accept the new name until I went into computer management and manually changed the "Full Name" to the new username...
I'm not sure what the reference to a windows username means, so I'm curious about where you are creating the username for Placeshifter -- are you adding a Placeshifter user via Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Server -> Manage Placeshifter Users?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry for the confusion, but I was referring to my sageTV service login account...

I've got my placeshifter user name setup and enabled. I can run placeshifter on my laptop using my locatorId and username and it will connect and show video.

The problem is when I run placeshifter from my parents house... I use the same user name and locatorID and placeshift finds the server. When I click on connect a box comes up asking for login and password. I enter the same username and password that is setup with the SageTV service, but I continue to get invalid username errors.

I changed the SageTV login name several times each time using correct caps and even tried adding the .\ as well...
Old 09-23-2007, 06:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan15 View Post
Sorry for the confusion, but I was referring to my sageTV service login account...

I've got my placeshifter user name setup and enabled. I can run placeshifter on my laptop using my locatorId and username and it will connect and show video.

The problem is when I run placeshifter from my parents house... I use the same user name and locatorID and placeshift finds the server. When I click on connect a box comes up asking for login and password. I enter the same username and password that is setup with the SageTV service, but I continue to get invalid username errors.

I changed the SageTV login name several times each time using correct caps and even tried adding the .\ as well...
See Opus4 post above. Using Placeshifter has nothing to do with your Windows user name or the name you use to run the SageTV service. You have to define a Placeshifter user name and password. Go into Sage in Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Server -> Manage Placeshifter Users and add a Placeshifter user name. It can be the same as the Windows name but it doesn't use the Windows name or password. It is a seperate definition. When Placeshifter asks you to login you will login with the Placeshifter name and password you just defined, not your Windows name or the name you use with the SageTV service. (Technically-unless you have named them all the same.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the help. That took care of it... I had setup the placeshifter users so long ago that I forgot there was a password associated with it! Thanks!
Old 11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Sage User

One other note for anyone who's having problems with the username/password... apparently Placeshifter can not transmit the letters "q" "w" or "t" (at least that's what I'm experiencing with the latest version of the software). So if your username or password contains any of those letters, you can't enter it with the keyboard and you would need to choose a new username/password without those letters. I submitted a bug report about this just now, so hopefully they'll get this fixed.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

I created a user named "qwt" with a password of "qwt" and had no problem connecting. Have you assigned those letters to some SageTV commands?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:01 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrd View Post
One other note for anyone who's having problems with the username/password... apparently Placeshifter can not transmit the letters "q" "w" or "t" (at least that's what I'm experiencing with the latest version of the software). So if your username or password contains any of those letters, you can't enter it with the keyboard and you would need to choose a new username/password without those letters. I submitted a bug report about this just now, so hopefully they'll get this fixed.
Are you just typing very fast? I've noticed that I have to peck out the username and password because If I type at my normal speed, one ore more characters won't get transmitted.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Sage User

Nope, speed doesn't make any difference, it's just those letters. Is anyone else having that problem? I'm not sure if I've assigned anything else to those keys in Sage, but that should make a difference when entering the username/password (if it is, I would call that a bug). I'm using the latest beta version, but I believe 6.2 was doing the same thing (I'm pretty sure).