SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Seperate Channel listings

OK, I think this is a limitation of the software, but I could just be missing something so maybe there is hope

I've got two NVIDIA DualTV tuner cards with 3 tuners being used for basic cable (Comcast) and the 4th connected to an STB using the digital cable lineup (Comcast). I've also got a HDHomeRun unit that I want to get up and working. This is where I run in to the problem.

If I set the HDHomeRun up for Digital Cable - Extended, that lineup is the same one being used for the STB. So, say I want to record a show on USA (which I get unencrypted via QAM and I have to remap to 80), it will try to record it on the STB and change it to channel 80.

My understanding is that I should choose a different lineup, but unfortunately there is no other cable lineup offered that has HDTV channels in my area code

Is there a way to enable specific channels for a certain tuner if more than one tuner uses that same lineup? If not, I think this would be a great feature to add

Basically, I just need to be able to pull the channels from my HDHomeRun that I can recieve, and pull the other channels (BBC America, Noggin, etc.) that I can only get through the STB via the STB, but have them all use the same channel lineup.

Is it possible to use a channel lineups from different zip codes? Say using Digital Comcast from my zip code for the STB and Digital Comcast from a different zip code for the HDHomeRun? Somehow I've got the feeling that all the EPG data is pulled based off of a single Zip code

Last edited by farscapesg1; 10-05-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg1 View Post
OK, I think this is a limitation of the software, but I could just be missing something so maybe there is hope

I've got two NVIDIA DualTV tuner cards with 3 tuners being used for basic cable (Comcast) and the 4th connected to an STB using the digital cable lineup (Comcast). I've also got a HDHomeRun unit that I want to get up and working. This is where I run in to the problem.

If I set the HDHomeRun up for Digital Cable - Extended, that lineup is the same one being used for the STB. So, say I want to record a show on USA (which I get unencrypted via QAM and I have to remap to 80), it will try to record it on the STB and change it to channel 80.

My understanding is that I should choose a different lineup, but unfortunately there is no other cable lineup offered that has HDTV channels in my area code

Is there a way to enable specific channels for a certain tuner if more than one tuner uses that same lineup? If not, I think this would be a great feature to add

Basically, I just need to be able to pull the channels from my HDHomeRun that I can recieve, and pull the other channels (BBC America, Noggin, etc.) that I can only get through the STB via the STB, but have them all use the same channel lineup.

Is it possible to use a channel lineups from different zip codes? Say using Digital Comcast from my zip code for the STB and Digital Comcast from a different zip code for the HDHomeRun? Somehow I've got the feeling that all the EPG data is pulled based off of a single Zip code

Yes try a zip code close to your cable co.

Technazz
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Will choosing a different zip code affect my current lineups for the other tuners? Does SageTV keep track of different zipcodes for different lineups?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Will choosing a different zip code affect my current lineups for the other tuners? Does SageTV keep track of different zipcodes for different lineups?
You can have lineups from multiple zip codes at the same time. I have concurrent lineups set up for analog cable in my zipcode, digital cable in my zipcode, and digital cable in a neighboring town's zipcode for my HDHR tuners.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 10-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

I just setup my HDHR lastnight. The way sage handles lineups is one thing they could think of improving on. I have 2 tuners using digital STBs and to add the HDHR I had to choose a random lineup nearby that had the HD channels, this seemed a little clunky to me. It would be nicer if one could choose your local lineup and tell Sage to make a "copy" of it so that it is not linked to the other tuners.

Other than that, setting up the HDHR was simple and am very pleased with it so far.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Sage Expert

For some reason, choosing a neighboring town for me does nothing. It uses the same lineup. I wish it did choose a different copy. I end up using a different cable company, sat company, etc. It would be nice if I could see all the channels numbers I actually am supposted to receive.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
For some reason, choosing a neighboring town for me does nothing. It uses the same lineup. I wish it did choose a different copy. I end up using a different cable company, sat company, etc. It would be nice if I could see all the channels numbers I actually am supposted to receive.
Actually I had to use a different company as well. I am on Comcast, but for the HDHR I used Version Fios that is in a nearby area.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:

I have a setup very similar to yours - 5 tuners (3 tuning analog cable, 1 using an external STB, and 1 tuning QAM).

I have to use 2 lineups: one for the analog (which Comcast calls the "extended basic" lineup) and one for the STB (which Comcast calls the "digital" lineup).

For the QAM tuner I initially selected NO lineup - just let it scan for QAM channels. Then I used "Station Remapping" to map the specific QAM channel to a specific Station on the "digital" lineup. They key point here is that a "Station" is a unique entity that can exist on multiple lineups. So if you remap Station "WRC-DT" to QAM tuner channel 81.1, then Sage will use the QAM tuner for tuning WRC-DT no matter what lineup WRC-DT exists on. I found that you have to make sure the channels for the Station in question must be enabled in both the tuner that has the "real" lineup and on the QAM tuner channel (otherwise it doesn't pick up the Guide data consistently). It should still only record shows using the digital QAM tuner because of the remapping. (Thanks to George in support for explaining how this works!)

You could probably use Station remapping to remap all of your tuners to a single lineup, but it would be tedious if you have to remap a lot of Stations. And you would have to manually change the mappings if your provider moves stations around in the lineup.

I used Station remapping on my QAM tuner because I only get a handful of Clear QAM channels.

The underlying problem here is that Sage keeps track of "enabled" channels on a per lineup basis instead of per tuner.

Reading the support boards, it is obvious this is not what people expect, as this problem comes up over and over.

It would reduce a lot of confusion and support effort if Sage allowed the channels to be configured per tuner.

For example, I really just want to pick a single lineup - "Comcast Digital Cable" and set up each tuner like so:

Tuner 1 (analog): Enable only channels 2-70
Tuner 2 (analog): Enable only channels 2-70
Tuner 3 (analog): Enable only channels 2-70
Tuner 4 (STB): Enable only channels 71-999, except HD channels
Tuner 5 (QAM): Enable only HD channels

But currently Sage doesn't support that.

Hope that helps,

--John