SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-04-2004, 06:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Auto Startup / Run as Service

I just installed a PVR-250 and SageTV and am amazed at the performance and stability. I'm very excited to see SageTV 2.0. This is the best PVR application I've tested and I've tried them all!

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to configure SageTV to automatically start on reboot without having to login a specific user?

I have tried setting up a scheduled task; however, when I log in, SageTV's console will not start, although the program is running and recording programs correctly.

Thanks and regards,
Rob
Old 01-04-2004, 07:58 AM
Sage Icon

In detailed setup, you have the option of starting it in the taskbar or opeining it to the ui on startup.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:11 AM
Sage User

Not sure if this is what youre after, but you can use MS PowerToys TweakUI to enable auto-login to Windows XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, y'all! I tried running it as a service but it doesn't recognize that it is registered. Also, I get errors on the Java Class libraries. The application still seems to run; however.

It would be great if this could be an installation option.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Sage Icon

Did you try Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Advanced -> Load at Startup options?
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I did. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think what RAlfieri is looking for, and would actually be a great suggestion for v2.0, is that SageTV be split into a 'controller' and 'service' application pair. That way the part of SageTV that needs to be running to record shows and what not can be started as a service and is not dependent on a user being logged in. Also, if done correctly, you could run the 'controller' side on ANY machine on your network. (ok, that's a wish I want to make :P )
Setup #7.6 Hyper-V (again!)
Hardware: Comcast Basic Digital Cable, (1) HDHR3-CC 20170815 firmware, 36GB "system" drive, 2TB laptop drives, a buttload of archive drives, HP DL380G6 2x X5660 processors (4 cores to VM), 4GB ram
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, SageTV v9.1.2.662, Java v1.8.0_131, STV 2017052101, HD300 extenders
Old 01-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by hufnagel
I think what RAlfieri is looking for, and would actually be a great suggestion for v2.0, is that SageTV be split into a 'controller' and 'service' application pair. That way the part of SageTV that needs to be running to record shows and what not can be started as a service and is not dependent on a user being logged in. Also, if done correctly, you could run the 'controller' side on ANY machine on your network. (ok, that's a wish I want to make :P )
Yes, exactly! Thanks!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:18 AM

Unless Jeff has already built something like this into Sage2's code base, it's unlikely we'll see it in Sage's future for a while. As this would be a fairly drastic code change if it were implemented in the manner described. It's more likely that we'll be able to run SageTV as a service and use SageTVClient to access that service from the same machine. This would be the easiest way to "split" Sage, but it involves the purchase of a client license and would also result in a far amount of redundant code(only Jeff knows how much) running on this one box. I'm not saying the method you suggest wouldn't be great but as things go there are alot of other things I'd like to see Jeff work on first.
My 2 cents.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by justme
Unless Jeff has already built something like this into Sage2's code base, it's unlikely we'll see it in Sage's future for a while. As this would be a fairly drastic code change if it were implemented in the manner described. It's more likely that we'll be able to run SageTV as a service and use SageTVClient to access that service from the same machine. This would be the easiest way to "split" Sage, but it involves the purchase of a client license and would also result in a far amount of redundant code(only Jeff knows how much) running on this one box. I'm not saying the method you suggest wouldn't be great but as things go there are alot of other things I'd like to see Jeff work on first.
My 2 cents.
I have yet to get this to run correctly. The client either works very slowly or times out with no response from the server.

My guess is that it is not designed for this right now, so I have my system auto-login on reboot. Not great because it compromises security; however, right now it works best.

A solution might be to have my system "auto-lock" after the reboot. Anyone know if there is a utility or applet that will lock the console after a reboot?

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-08-2004, 11:00 AM
SageTVaholic

It seems to me that Sage is already sort of a controller service (or backend). I think this because I know I've crashed the UI without breaking recordings.

It would be nice if Sage could be run as a backend/UI separately.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:39 AM

Quote:
because I know I've crashed the UI without breaking recordings.
Excellent point. Now that you mention this I've done the same thing before also. This would seem to bode well for the a possible split. Yeah, new hope.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by RAlfieri
A solution might be to have my system "auto-lock" after the reboot. Anyone know if there is a utility or applet that will lock the console after a reboot?
rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

Andy
Old 01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to -LD
couldn't you install sage as a service using instsrv.exe and srvany.exe...then configure that service to be able to interact with the desktop?

i haven't tried it, but i think it would work
Old 01-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Quote:
Originally posted by -LD
couldn't you install sage as a service using instsrv.exe and srvany.exe...then configure that service to be able to interact with the desktop?

i haven't tried it, but i think it would work
Many of us have tried it and it doesn't work. I suspect that it MAY not be a problem with Sage per se, but rather that fact that it is developed in Java. I don't think The J2SE is running at that time.

Also, I believe many of the Java components are implemented in "user space"...and since no user is actually logged in at that time, the calls fail.

Java people...is this correct?

I'd really like to see Sage written in C.