SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Sage Icon

Mixed Hauppauge Card bug - Some Improvement but now studder problem

Over the weekend I was able to look into this a little more. I updated to the latest (21288) Hauppauge drivers. Now with my type 15 350 card and 2 type 16 250 cards, I have the following conditions. I have finally gotten the TV out from the 350 to work properly, but when recording with 350 PQ image is poor and has very redish tint to it. The 250 seem to be fine after I run my manual initialization work around. A new problem has now shown up and I wanted to document it since I seen a lot of other posts concerning studder. I first noticed this problem after the driver updates while attemping to view programs recoded before I made any driver changes. I initially thought it was a disk fragmentation issue, but defrag had no effect. Today I attemped to view a new recording and the same studder problem. It seems to be about 12 second cycle, 6 of studder then 6 of normal sound. After several minutes of viewing I paused SageTV. I then used the Windows Media Player to view the very same file. Windows Media Player has perfect sound and picture. I have even paused it and gone back to SageTV. The studder is consistent with SageTV. The hardware is the same as before I encounted the studder problem and my 350 is sharing an interrupt with my graphics card. Bottom line even through I now have TV out from my 350 card it may be worthless since I currently have to use Windows Media Player to view programs without studder.
I will check to see if WinTV can play without studder when I get a chance. SageTV is currently recording and I don't want to stop it.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Sage Icon

I now know that WinTV2000 does NOT have the studder problem. This seems to rule out a driver related problem. I also now know that the recordings made with the 350 in addition to a bad image generates a studder in the recording. Both WinTV2000 and Windows Media Player show the studder from the 350 recording. Following is a jpg image from my 350, this was recorded at DVD Standard (3.25 GB per HR) rate. It looks like it could be a cable problem but I don't think so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 350 image.jpg (22.9 KB, 267 views)
Old 01-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Sage Icon

I have now disabled my 350 card and rebooted my system. When I went to view a video I got an "There was an unspecified native null error". Not sure what that is trying to say, never saw it before. However, SageTV with the 2 250 cards are now working correctly. It also looks that the error msg above may now appear everytime I start SageTV.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I now know that WinTV2000 does NOT have the studder problem. This seems to rule out a driver related problem. I also now know that the recordings made with the 350 in addition to a bad image generates a studder in the recording.
Did you use WinTV2000 to make any recordings using the PVR350? If so did these have/lack the stutter you found in the recordings made by Sage using the 350?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Sage Icon

I only currently use WinTV2000 for testing and making jpg's. All recording done with SageTV, I then play it back in WinTV2000 to make image. The stutter problem is now gone but I have much bigger problems now which I am about to post in a new thread.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by justme
Did you use WinTV2000 to make any recordings using the PVR350? If so did these have/lack the stutter you found in the recordings made by Sage using the 350?
I think I may have misunderstood your post when I first read it. Here is a more accurate and complete response. Recording from the WinTV2000 to check for the studder would be interesting, but I do not think it is even possible. The WinTV2000 is/was not designed for use with multiple cards. I believe it uses the first 250 card it finds for video input, however it does use the tvout from my 350 which I found very interesting. I think I would have to remove both of my 250 cards to even be able to record from the 350. I already know that with a lone 350 card SageTV and WinTV2000 works properly. I used a lone 350 card with WinTV2000 for several months. I tested and ran SageTV with the single 350 for about a month. This mixed card bug was not seen until I got my 2 250 cards from Frey in early Nov.
BTW: Even though Pawn has not yet responded to my last post in the Mixed Hauppauge Card bug - Example thread, I am convinced that this mixed card issue was introduced into the current or a recent release of SageTV. I hope this problem is corrected in the V2.0 Beta.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Recording from the WinTV2000 to check for the studder would be interesting, but I do not think it is even possible.
Yep we're on the same page now. I can see your point about the difficulties of getting WinTV2000 to use the 350 to record while still keeping the 250's in the box. But I ,as well, feel it would be interesting to see the results if it could be done. If you could do it, it might add support to your theory of this situation.

If I could get my M150(Ivac16) to work with SageTV, I could add more data to your sample size. Since I already own a PVR250(ivac15) and just bought a PVR350(15 of course).

Best of luck.