SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

HDHR crashing Sagetv

I am attempting to setup my HDHR once again. I have it working great in VLC, per the directions. I setup sage per the directions and it starts to tune the channel great. I hear a snippet of sound and the video starts to tune the channel, shows signal is 100%, then bam!!! Sagetv.exe has crashed (or some such error message) it then gets dumped out to the desktop.

has anyone had this issue before. It is clearly a Sage issue as the VLC works great. And I think it is an issue with the renderer.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Sage Expert

I'm assuming you're using the newest HDHR installation (using the BDA drivers)? Did you clear out the old installation from your previous attempts (anything prior to AUG 30 used the network encoder drivers).

Make sure you are using at least SageTV v6.26 or greater, as this is the release version compatible with the Microsoft Broadcast Driver Adapter (BDA) that the HDHR setup is now using.

If you are using a 64bit OS, this on the SiliconDust website: You must install the 32-bit (x86) version of the HDHomeRun drivers to use with SageTV.
This applies to both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

When I installed the HDHR in sage, I didn't wait for the video to appear in the channel setup process. I just went straight in and remapped the QAM channels I wanted from the previous HDHR setup process using only the first x of the x-y-z remap.

If you believe that it might be a render issue, try selecting another Video Renderer or MPEG2 Video Decoder Filter.

Just a note: I believe VLC still connects to the HDHR using the network encoder process and not the BDA drivers. At least the HDHomeRun Config (GUI) program seems to work that way. The pre-setup remap program might connect using the drivers, I don't know.

-r

Last edited by Conejo; 10-08-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am using the beta2 version of the latest drivers. I am using the latest release of SageTV, which is the absolute latest version AFIK. This is a fresh install, just re-built the server from scratch three weeks ago.

By all rights it should be working. Like I said it WILL tune the channel for a fraction of a second then it tanks. I will attempt to set the debug mode to true and get the log file that it generates.

I did delete everything in that directory. when re-installing the HDHR software.

Apart from that, are there other renderers I can try? I have the Nvidia, Nvidia Post Processor, and SageTV. And do I set this for the MPEG2 or the MPEG4 decoding? WHich decoder setting does the HDHR use? I have tried both VMR9 and Overlay with each of the renderers and they all do the same thing when tuning to the HDHR.

How do I tell which version of BDA drivers I am using? I looked in the System Manager but found nothing titled HDHome run or Silicondust. I assume the BDA drivers do not show in the sys manager?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Sage Expert

Sage records analog to Mpeg2, while HD/QAM is already encoded as Mpeg2 and recorded straight to disk.

As a test, can you configure Sage, (don't do a preview), and schedule a recording on one of your HD channels.

Then try to play back that recording in Sage or Windows Media Player?
Then, can you use Sage to view "LiveTV".

We want to see what portion of Sage (Recording or playback) is causing you problems.

Another thing to check is DirectX. Usually when I have any playback issues, I just download the current version and install.

Last edited by Conejo; 10-09-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Sage User

HDHR recordings will be in MPEG-2 format. I'm having pretty decent success using the nVidia PureVideo decoder in VMR9 mode (I don't use the post processor). I don't use FSE because my current HD client is a dual-monitor workstation not dedicated to SageTV, but others have said that HD playback works better with FSE enabled.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Sage Expert

I tried searching the threads here for a possible solution but it looks like you may want to take the advice from another forum user:

Quote:
You would need to report this to Sage. They will want to see the Sage log and and crash logs in your Sage folder (hs_err_pid*.log IIRC). They can analyse those files and try to work out what's happening...
This may result in a quicker, more definitive answer.

I liked it better when all software came with a real manual and there was a troubleshooting section in the back that could help you solve all your problems.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Omega and Conejo those were two awesome suggestions. I was able to view recorded stuff from the HDHR in Windows Media Player but not sage. I then turned off FSE (once I figured out what that stood for) and it worked great. I can now watch my HDHR recorded shows.

Thanks guys.