SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

without going to look at meedio, based on what was said here, am I correct in assuming that medio would have to run on a pc client or server hooked directly to the television? In other words, this would not be a valid solution for someone running through an extender?

With the hassle I consider running a pc client to be, I would rather just use the regular sage interface and/or stvs in order to use the new hd extender than continue tweaking the pc my client was running on. Besides, if you are really just recording your kids disney/animated movie collection on it (like i am) I do not really think the ui needs to be that pretty or tell me what the movie is about when i have seen them all 50 times anyway
Client2: HD200, 40" Samsung LCD bedroom
Client3: HD100, 42" Panasonic Plasma kid's playroom; Client4: MVP, 36" CRT basement workout area; Client5: MPV 13" CRT garage workbench
Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Sam,

My question wasn't can we get Meedio to run on SAGE through the extender, it was is it possible to recreate the Meedio interface or something similar using stv's and then display them on the extender. I know that the Studio is very flexible, but I was not sure if something as dramatic as the Meedio interface could actually be recreated.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

right VC, I understood that. My comment was more towards what the original poster was asking in regards for a solution because his sig shows two extenders and a placeshifter so meedio was not answering his question. I recently picked up dvdprofiler and that works great for me...if only i could get the thumbnails to show up in sage
Client3: HD100, 42" Panasonic Plasma kid's playroom; Client4: MVP, 36" CRT basement workout area; Client5: MPV 13" CRT garage workbench
Old 12-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Gotcha Sam, thanks for the clarification. I'll just go back to staring at my UPS tracking number and hoping the truck/plane/whatever they are transporting my HD Extender in moves faster!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

mine has been "out for deliver" since 12:05AM this morning! They need gps tracking devises on the trucks so we can watch their progress towards our houses!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:04 AM

sounds like sam99 got ants in his pants
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam99 View Post
mine has been "out for deliver" since 12:05AM this morning! They need gps tracking devises on the trucks so we can watch their progress towards our houses!
I once had a FedEx packaged that I was tracking that I looked and saw that it was on the truck for delivery a day early. I checked 2 hours later (around noon) and the status had changed to something like "In the warehouse receiving area". So if the status was accurate they had it on the truck but took it off when they saw they were going to deliver it a day early
Old 12-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
I once had a FedEx packaged that I was tracking that I looked and saw that it was on the truck for delivery a day early. I checked 2 hours later (around noon) and the status had changed to something like "In the warehouse receiving area". So if the status was accurate they had it on the truck but took it off when they saw they were going to deliver it a day early
When the Treo 600 came out, I ordered it direct from Handspring. It was shipped 2-day but made it to Atlanta in 1 day.

I was working late until 4am and watched the entire progress from leaving Handspring through the hubs to Atlanta. I saw that it was pulled off the truck in Atlanta so I went down the street to FedEx and picked it up
Old 12-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

here is TVNight in action ;-)
youtube clip

and similar thing for Movies - MovieNight

Last edited by UFGrayMatter; 12-16-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thats pretty slick...

Thanks for the links UFGM. Do you happen to know what database MovieNight, etc. is dipping into to collect the data that is displayed?

Thanks,
DQ
Headless Backend AMD 5050e (XP Pro), 4G Memory, 3TB, storage, Sage 6.5, R5000, 2 HD PVR, CFI ESATA enclosure (3 TB), UNRAID server with ~26TB and growing 3 HD300 extenders and 1 HD200 cranking away over Gigabit ethernet
Old 12-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualQuad View Post
Thanks for the links UFGM. Do you happen to know what database MovieNight, etc. is dipping into to collect the data that is displayed?

Thanks,
DQ

Of course - i wrote most of it
-Movies
Main - is IMDB and Movie-XML.com - both plugins written by walts81
Extra Data
Trivia - IMDB - by me
Quotes - IMDB - by me
Mistakes - moviemistakes.com - by me
Extra Long Synopsis - allmovie.com - by me
Similar Movies - allmovie.com - by me
Critic review - allmovie.com - by me
Actor Info/Pics - either allmovie.com or Hollywood.com - by me
Posters - impawards, google - by cybervillian

-For TV
Main - www.thetvdb.com - by Darkmoor
Old 12-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGrayMatter View Post
Of course - i wrote most of it
Any chance you could write a Java JNI wrapper for your importers?

While there is no support for new data fields in the Sage database to keep all that info locally, I wonder if there's a way to incorporate some of that info dynamically.

I'm working through a couple of outstanding bugs in my STV, but then I was going to look at redesigning a movie interface - it would be nice to take advantage of your work on Meedio, but I am a total failure at Java. If you could make me an API, I might be able to work something up in Studio.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless View Post
Any chance you could write a Java JNI wrapper for your importers?

While there is no support for new data fields in the Sage database to keep all that info locally, I wonder if there's a way to incorporate some of that info dynamically.

I'm working through a couple of outstanding bugs in my STV, but then I was going to look at redesigning a movie interface - it would be nice to take advantage of your work on Meedio, but I am a total failure at Java. If you could make me an API, I might be able to work something up in Studio.
Sorry - no go. I am a 3rd year medical student w/ no experience w/ Java and no time to learn it .

I use SageTV solely to record shows w/ HDHomeRun and analog tuners, I don't use the UI at all. SageTV has baffled me w/ the way it handles it UI. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that a programmer can create wonderful add-ons to SageTV only to be limited by the theme that is being used. Why can't I use an add-on w/ EVERY STV? To be told otherwise is frankly dumb.

I don't know why I went into that - but it's been on my mind . So, the short answer is no, I can't write a wrapper, b/c I don't know java and have no desire to learn it.

Ryan
Old 12-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Sorry - no go. I am a 3rd year medical student w/ no experience w/ Java and no time to learn it .

I use SageTV solely to record shows w/ HDHomeRun and analog tuners, I don't use the UI at all. SageTV has baffled me w/ the way it handles it UI. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that a programmer can create wonderful add-ons to SageTV only to be limited by the theme that is being used. Why can't I use an add-on w/ EVERY STV? To be told otherwise is frankly dumb.

I don't know why I went into that - but it's been on my mind . So, the short answer is no, I can't write a wrapper, b/c I don't know java and have no desire to learn it.

Ryan
Believe me, I fully understand on all counts. But, having spent some time with Meedio's theme designer, I have to say that Sage's Studio is significantly more powerful once you get past the very steep initial learning curve.

If I can find someone to write the wrapper for me, would you be willing to give them a function list for your importer so we can tie it in? There are so many great importers and scrapers made for Meedio in C# that I'd love to get at, but without a Java wrapper or the ability to write one, I'm lost.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless View Post
If I can find someone to write the wrapper for me, would you be willing to give them a function list for your importer so we can tie it in? There are so many great importers and scrapers made for Meedio in C# that I'd love to get at, but without a Java wrapper or the ability to write one, I'm lost.
not a problem
Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
not a problem

Great!

....... any takers?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Sage User

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I think this is a topic that is still important to a lot of people.

I have been kicking around ideas about how to manage my media library for some time now. I'm a former MCE/My Movies user, but I outgrew MCE about a year ago and since then have bounced to MythTV, Mediaportal, and finally SageTV. We are going with SageTV primarily because of the TV functionality - it is by far the best of all the apps we tried. But we are really missing the nice plugins some of the other front ends have, especially things like TVNight/TVSeries and My Movies.

Since I also happen to be a professional programmer - 15 years overall, with the last 9 years of extensive Java experience (another reason Sage was attractive to me), I've been thinking about solutions to this problem for awhile now. What I have come up with is a proposed project I'm calling FlexMC, for Flexible Media Center. I even registered the domains and have hosting setup should this project actually get off the ground.

My goal with Flex MC is basically this - first and foremost, you should be able to organize and catalog your media and related metadata regardless of what front end software you are using now (or 6 months from now). Your media transcends whatever the flavor-of-the-moment may be when it comes to 10' UIs.

So the approach I would take would be this - first, write a centralized cataloging program that handles all your media, does metadata lookups through a pluggable scraper architecture (so you can easily write a scraper for that Norweigian TV database I would never have thought of using, etc.), and presents a standardized api for accessing your media and metadata. This central "server" component (although this would all certainly work in a standalone setting too) would be written in Java and platform neutral. Nothing irritated me more than when My Movies went to a SQL Server backend, because I run an UnRAID NAS and didn't want to dedicate another server just to run SQL Server. With FlexMC, you can run the backend on Windows, Linux, Mac - any platform you can get a Java VM for.

The other part of the strategy would be front-end plugins for various UIs that access the backend media library. I would start with SageTV as the first frontend developed, but eventually (hopefully with help from the various communities) we could have plugins also for Mediaportal, Meedios, MythTV, MCE, etc.

Anyway, that's the 1000' view of what I would like to do. I just wanted to get feedback from other users on if they agree with this approach, and if anyone would be interested in getting in on the ground floor of what I think could be a very exciting and significant project for the HTPC community.

Last edited by mikehaney; 08-12-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Mike,
You have me interested. Let me think about this some more and I'll give you more feedback on your idea. By the way, welcome to the SageTV community!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Sage Expert

Mike, I have similar background as you (both professional and media center related) and what you wrote is almost exactly the design I have been considering as well.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastafidli View Post
Mike, I have similar background as you (both professional and media center related) and what you wrote is almost exactly the design I have been considering as well.
Welcome aboard!