SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM

Getting Cut Commercials to Work

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I browsed through the twenty-some (!) pages of posts and didn't come across an answer.

I'm trying to encode shows for playback on an iTouch, and by and large it's working well and consistently. I've tried to take the next step and cut out the commercials during the compression process, but I haven't had any luck.

I use ShowAnalyzer and DirMon to process the video files and create .txt and .edl files, and it works great for normal playback within Sage. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong to get the commercials cut during compression? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlIndy View Post
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I browsed through the twenty-some (!) pages of posts and didn't come across an answer.

I'm trying to encode shows for playback on an iTouch, and by and large it's working well and consistently. I've tried to take the next step and cut out the commercials during the compression process, but I haven't had any luck.

I use ShowAnalyzer and DirMon to process the video files and create .txt and .edl files, and it works great for normal playback within Sage. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong to get the commercials cut during compression? Thanks in advance.
Hey, I think the problem is you're encoding the videos into mp4 for the i(pod?)Touch, but the plug-in don't support cutting of mp4 files in the current version, only avi.

This will be fixed in the next update as well as some neat improvments for encoding to devices.

Speaking of the next update, its taking a lot longer than I expected because, in addition to the new features, I decided to make a *huge* change in how I output the finished files. Before everything was hardcoded and now its in the profile files.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Oh, I also made a huge change to the way the profile files are structured and read, so that's going to affect people who have made their own modifications... just a heads up
Old 03-18-2008, 05:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I can't wait. Love this plugin and you keep making it better and better. If you keep this up we're going to start expecting this stuff all the time

let me know if I can help test or anything.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Sage Icon

Are you going to remove the denoise function from the auto encode profile and possibly change it to mkv containers by default?

And any progress on using Handbrake for HD files?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks EP, that's a huge help. Can't wait for the new version - everything so far is awesome.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
Are you going to remove the denoise function from the auto encode profile and possibly change it to mkv containers by default?

And any progress on using Handbrake for HD files?
Yeah, denoise will gone by default, but I haven't decided if I want to use mkv for everything in the Auto Encode profile. I personally have it set up that way, but I'm not sure everyone would want it.

As for Handbrake + HDTV, i'll still be using mencoder for content that needs reverse telecine, but I might start using Handbrake for anything that doesn't. Although, I really haven't tested it out too much yet.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 03-18-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the update. I know I ask for a lot, but your plugin has me so excited with its possibilities I have difficulties not looking for constant improvements. Now if it could just give me the winning powerball numbers I'd be all set.

Thank you so much for this wonderful import/add-on.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Now if it could just give me the winning powerball numbers I'd be all set.
4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42
Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Sage Icon

I actually meant before they were called, but thanks anyway.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I actually meant before they were called, but thanks anyway.
I didn't expect you to take that seriously. Just a little kiddin. Those are the Lost TV Show lottery numbers.....
Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Sage Icon

And I just went out and bought a ticket. Won't you feel dumb when they turn out to be the real winning numbers?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
And I just went out and bought a ticket. Won't you feel dumb when they turn out to be the real winning numbers?
No cause I know you'd share with me
Old 03-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
Hey, I think the problem is you're encoding the videos into mp4 for the i(pod?)Touch, but the plug-in don't support cutting of mp4 files in the current version, only avi.

This will be fixed in the next update as well as some neat improvments for encoding to devices.
awesome news!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to debennett2
Complete n00b to this so please don't flame me too hard. I imported the video tools and then went into SageMC settings and Extras has only two option..."Enable DVD Burning" and "Enable Video Compression"....incidently I cannot highlight those two options but the mouse will allow me to toggle those two settings if I need to......problem is I dont see all those other wonderful options that the tutorial shows us.

Using 6.3.10 and latest stuff out there....

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Sage User

slow encoding and no audio

I had posted earlier about slow encode times using autoencode profile - about 7fps on intel E6750 2.66Ghz. The slow encoding is only about 1 out of 4 encodes. Also on some encodes I get no audio.

Well I did some searching and found this thread:
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?t=849

Its long and first part says:
And here's his explanation of how it works/what the problem really is (short answer: it *is* caused by incorrectly mastered DVDs despite what 90% of the people in this thread have claimed):
http://handbrake.m0k.org/irclogs/handbr ... 2_pg1.html

People were reporting encodes with no audio. Also noticed they reported cases with no audio were also very slow at encoding.

Well turns out this is EXACTLY what I am experiencing. When I get the slow encodes, those are the ones without audio.

I don't know much about the encoding parameters, but people report trying <=160Kbs audio bitrate and trying 44.1 Khz vs 48 Khz as workaround for no audio.

Which of these would you recommend switching. What is next step below 160Kbs? And what affects would trying 44.1 Khz have?

Beyond that are does anyone know of any other tweaks that may avoid this no audio and slow encoding?

Thanks...
Old 03-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
I'm looking into this right now, I hope to have something out before the end of the day.

edit: Found the problem, but its in the full STV (completely my fault, I sent Dirk some bad code). I'll work with him this week to sort it out
EP, did you ever get this update out? I am running SageMC 6.3.7a and SageMC_VideoTools_v3_0k. I get lots of .autocompress files, but nothing in the qdvd folder.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Sage Icon

There was actually a new stv by flachbar in the SageMC thread that fixed it.

Edit: Here's the link to the specific post: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=5890 The attachment fixed me right up.

Last edited by toricred; 03-22-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Sage User

Howdy all.

I've downloaded every version of the sage video tools and none of them extract a file called perl2dvdsetup.exe

perl2dvd and all of the related file are there, but there is no setup script of any sorts in the SageTV or perl2dvd directories.

What am I missing? Thanks!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Hey, not sure where your seeing references to that .exe but its old and gone. The new setup procedure is linked below...

http://perl2dvd.wiki.sourceforge.net...ng+SageMC+STVi
Closed Thread