SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

HD-200 having problems playing compressed files.

I've been using the mencoder compression for some time now with play back in SageTV working great. I just purchased the HD-200 media extender from SageTV and almost all of my HD shows I compress won't play on the HD-200. The audio sounds like it is looping and the video shows a still frame for several seconds and then skips to another. I've been experimenting for a couple of days and I have discovered that if I re-transcode with SUPER and copy the video stream and re compress the audio to MP3 they will then play okay. Just setting the compression with Mencoder with the audio codec of MP3 doesn't fix it. Not sure if it might be a VBR vs CBR thing with the HD-200 or not. I'm not sure if there is a way to force Mencoder to use a CBR MP3 when it compresses with the video tool.

Any suggestions for further troubleshooting would be appreciated.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi

I am missing something pretty fundemental. I have been through the wiki and read the description of the func files, but no where that I can find does it describe how to use the func files in the encodingProfiles directory.

I can see the exact profile I want to use (Handbrake Ipod LowRes) but I don't know how to use it.

Further, I tried to create my own profile (under the SageMC settings screen / extras / SageMC Video Tools / Compress and select create). I picked the handbrake profile as the base and created a new profile called IPOD. This profile does what I want (sort of), but it doesn't use handbrake ( I am watching the Process Explorer right now saying that memcoder is running) and when I said create an mp4 file, it ended up creating an avi file. (and I can't find where the IPOD profile is stored)

I went into the perl2dvd directory and I see .qdvd file says it should use handbrake, but it is not.

Any suggestions on how to use Handbrake ipod LowRes.func? I will gladly read any docs or description elsewhere if you can point me to it.

I just looked through the log file and it looks like my installation may be really messed up. There are a lot of "not recognized - throwing away" type messages and it says it doesn't find mplayer.exe - which is not where it is looking for it.

Thanks
Greg

Last edited by gveres; 01-01-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gveres View Post
Hi

I am missing something pretty fundemental. I have been through the wiki and read the description of the func files, but no where that I can find does it describe how to use the func files in the encodingProfiles directory.

I can see the exact profile I want to use (Handbrake Ipod LowRes) but I don't know how to use it.

Further, I tried to create my own profile (under the SageMC settings screen / extras / SageMC Video Tools / Compress and select create). I picked the handbrake profile as the base and created a new profile called IPOD. This profile does what I want (sort of), but it doesn't use handbrake ( I am watching the Process Explorer right now saying that memcoder is running) and when I said create an mp4 file, it ended up creating an avi file. (and I can't find where the IPOD profile is stored)

I went into the perl2dvd directory and I see .qdvd file says it should use handbrake, but it is not.

Any suggestions on how to use Handbrake ipod LowRes.func? I will gladly read any docs or description elsewhere if you can point me to it.

I just looked through the log file and it looks like my installation may be really messed up. There are a lot of "not recognized - throwing away" type messages and it says it doesn't find mplayer.exe - which is not where it is looking for it.

Thanks
Greg
I'm assuming that the video you are trying to compress is HD, in this version handbrake doesn't do HD very well so it gets passed to Mencoder automatically. however the new Handbrake version 9.3 can handle HD so i would suggest going and downloading the Windows GUI version until EP gets around to finishing Version 3.5 of Video Tools.
OS Drive 320 GB Seagate hard drive: Recording Drives 2x500 GB WDCaviar 64k Clusters, 1x1.5TB Seagate 64k clusters, 1x320 GB Seagate 4k Clusters, 1x250 Seagate external USB 32k Clusters:Tuners(w/5 setup for recording HD; 2 for SD content): 1 Hauppauge HVR-1600, 1 HDHomeRun, 2x Hauppauge HVR-1250; XP Pro 32 bit, SageTV V6.5.9 SAGEMC V6.3.8a
Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstocke View Post
I've been using the mencoder compression for some time now with play back in SageTV working great. I just purchased the HD-200 media extender from SageTV and almost all of my HD shows I compress won't play on the HD-200. The audio sounds like it is looping and the video shows a still frame for several seconds and then skips to another. I've been experimenting for a couple of days and I have discovered that if I re-transcode with SUPER and copy the video stream and re compress the audio to MP3 they will then play okay. Just setting the compression with Mencoder with the audio codec of MP3 doesn't fix it. Not sure if it might be a VBR vs CBR thing with the HD-200 or not. I'm not sure if there is a way to force Mencoder to use a CBR MP3 when it compresses with the video tool.

Any suggestions for further troubleshooting would be appreciated.
Change the below in the "mencoder Options.snip" found in the profiles Directory

mp3lame -lameopts vbr=2:q=3 -channels 2 -srate 48000 to mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128:aq=2 -channels 2 -srate 48000

you can also change cbr:br=128 to whatever bitrate you want your mp3 audio to be.

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-02-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetracers View Post
I'm assuming that the video you are trying to compress is HD, in this version handbrake doesn't do HD very well so it gets passed to Mencoder automatically. however the new Handbrake version 9.3 can handle HD so i would suggest going and downloading the Windows GUI version until EP gets around to finishing Version 3.5 of Video Tools.
Nope, its SD.

I already use handbrake 9.3 manually. I would like to get this working so that I can automatically get an SD show compressed to the iPod. I have also tried ipodifier but it just stopped working and provides no feedback why.

Greg
Old 01-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is anyone using the video tools to transcode HD content and getting it to play successfully with the new HD200 extender? If you are having success can a get your Video Settings Profile that are working for you. I have tried a lot of settings and it doesn't seem to play back correctly with my extender. The transcoded files play fine on my HTPC as well as my other Placeshifter systems.

I'm just trying to narrow the cause down. If others are having problems with this it might be something with mencoder. If I'm the only one with the problem it might be a system problem with my PCs doing the transcoding. Or it might be how the files are captured originally with my Avermedia A180 card. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not using SageMC Video Tools v3.0. I can't get it to encode HD to playback on the HD1000. So I assume that the 200 wont work either.

I can't wait for v3.5 to come out.

What I do for HD is I use Handbrake and it does a great job. It takes a while, but it works great. I typically reduce the horiz and vert res down by 50%.

Hey, EP any word on v3.5?

Greg

PS: I still haven't had any answers where the profiles are stored when you create a custom one or how to use the profiles in the supplied directory.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the response. I wasn't able to get Mencoder encodes to work on the HD200. I am now using Handbrakecli.exe and dirmon and having success. If anyone is able to get mencoder encodes to work on the HD200 I would be interested in finding out what I was doing wrong.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Change the below in the "mencoder Options.snip" found in the profiles Directory

mp3lame -lameopts vbr=2:q=3 -channels 2 -srate 48000 to mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128:aq=2 -channels 2 -srate 48000

you can also change cbr:br=128 to whatever bitrate you want your mp3 audio to be.
Thanks for the response. The info above helped me to get CBR in my encodes with mencoder. However they still didn't want to play on the HD200. I do appreciate the help and it did help me better understand what was going on behind the scenes.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Can I install ONLY the plugin solely for the ability to schedule recordings, without installing all of the other programs?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hey EP, was just wondering if u have a sec to look at this file and see if u see anything sticking out. im getting a lot of these errors lately, that a video gets converted and only half of the show is converted and left behind, the other half is deleted along with the commercials. there is no pattern to it at all. it might do it once to a show and then next week it is perfectly fine. it's driving me insane when i want to watch something and there is only the first 20-30 min or so and then i gotta go download it, quite annoying lol

cant wait for 3.5
Attached Files
File Type: txt Saturday Night Live - (1).Handbrake.39.compress.log.txt (67.2 KB, 246 views)
Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Issue creating DVD

Hi EP
I have this setup and want to use it to create dvd's. I'ce configureed dirmaon and sagetv with the correct path locations. The issue i'm having as seen in the attached screen shot is that it doesn't see the file as being there. However if i drag and drop the qdvd file onto the drag n drop shortcut it creates the img file. The file does exist in the proper location. I've also included the zip file.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: gif screencap.GIF (53.2 KB, 266 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Castle - A Death in the Family(1).videoDVD.23.videoDVD.zip (6.7 KB, 217 views)
Old 06-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Setting up local central worl folder

I have just run setupCentralWorkFolder.exe to get my client to process locally. It asks for me to tell it where the local folder is and then it goes on to ask me about a status folder. Is that my qdvd Folder?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobarsteward View Post
I have just run setupCentralWorkFolder.exe to get my client to process locally. It asks for me to tell it where the local folder is and then it goes on to ask me about a status folder. Is that my qdvd Folder?
Im not using 3.0 anymore (since upgraded to mediashrink)... but if i remember correctly, yes it is. Maybe EP can confirm.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Vista

Everything works under Vista Home Premium right up to burning. When I try and burn, it fails. I have found one other comment that it fails at this point but no solution. Any body got any ideas?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Sage User

Video Tools help

I have looked all over this post and sourceforge site for some instructions and have been unable to find. My apologies if I have missed but does anyone know where I can find.

I noticed some bits and pieces and plenty of references to them but could not find.

Thanks,
John
Old 08-26-2009, 01:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, Sourceforge removed the wiki that I had all my instructions on so they're pretty much gone . Its my fault though, they gave me plenty of notice, I just never got around to backing them up.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Sage User

instructions

Bummer-Anyone still have a copy from the old Wiki site?

Thanks!!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Sage Icon

Wasn't this import replaced by Mediashrink?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
Wasn't this import replaced by Mediashrink?
Mediashrink doesn't author and burn DVD's from recordings. This is the only plugin that provides that functionality...
Client 3: Media MVP to 15" Toshiba LCD
Client 4: HD100 connected to Samsung 23" 720P LCD
Client 5: HD100 connected to Vizio VX37L
Closed Thread