SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Sage User

PAL video coming out? (when I want NTSC)

I ordered a Hauppauge Media MVP (wired) because Sage was out of the media extenders, and the picture is b/w and scrolling (like it's PAL on an NTSC TV). I tried multiple cables (including RCA and SVideo and multiple monitors), then sent it back for a replacement before I realized it's probably just sending a PAL signal. The replacement is exactly the same.

I tried installing the Hauppauge software on another PC and of course I get the same results (although I'd been hoping it would give me an option to change it to NTSC).

How in the world can I get it to send an NTSC signal (or what else might it be)?

(btw, before I installed the Hauppauge software, it connected just fine to my Sage box. I could see the menu and everything--it was just b/w and scrolling.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Sage Icon

According to the http://www.hauppauge.com/pdfs/mediamvp_specs.pdf document, the Hauppauge software has a settings menu.
Settings menu
The Settings menu is where you can chose the directories on your PC where your Music, Video and Pictures media is
stored. Also, the Settings menu has a Configuration menu where you can set the video format (NTSC or PAL), video size (4:3
or 16:9), and flicker reduction (none, low, medium, high) for your TV set.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Sage User

boot up menu even scrolls / not usable

Thanks, but I can't see enough to do anything as the initial bootup menu is scrolling at a very high speed (similar to a misadjusted "vertical hold" in old-style TV sets). I can't do anything which requires adjustment at the MVP box because of this.

I was hoping there was a way to set it from the PC, but I haven't yet found a way.

I'm wondering how these devices work out of the box in Europe (ie are some shipped w/ PAL as the default (ie bootup) format and others shipped w/ NTSC)?

My first thought was that the box was just defective, but this is the second box, and I've tried multiple video cables (2 different RCA and an SVideo) three different ways of getting to the TV (an RF modulator, an old VCR (as an RF modulator), and a direct connection (via both RCA and SVideo) to a different TV. The only explanation other than a setting (or a PAL-defaulted device) seems to be two identitically defective devices in a row--and that's just too unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
According to the http://www.hauppauge.com/pdfs/mediamvp_specs.pdf document, the Hauppauge software has a settings menu.
Settings menu
The Settings menu is where you can chose the directories on your PC where your Music, Video and Pictures media is
stored. Also, the Settings menu has a Configuration menu where you can set the video format (NTSC or PAL), video size (4:3
or 16:9), and flicker reduction (none, low, medium, high) for your TV set.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by feilerd View Post
Thanks, but I can't see enough to do anything as the initial bootup menu is scrolling at a very high speed (similar to a misadjusted "vertical hold" in old-style TV sets). I can't do anything which requires adjustment at the MVP box because of this.

I was hoping there was a way to set it from the PC, but I haven't yet found a way.

I'm wondering how these devices work out of the box in Europe (ie are some shipped w/ PAL as the default (ie bootup) format and others shipped w/ NTSC)?

My first thought was that the box was just defective, but this is the second box, and I've tried multiple video cables (2 different RCA and an SVideo) three different ways of getting to the TV (an RF modulator, an old VCR (as an RF modulator), and a direct connection (via both RCA and SVideo) to a different TV. The only explanation other than a setting (or a PAL-defaulted device) seems to be two identitically defective devices in a row--and that's just too unlikely.
Just shooting in the dark here, but on the Hauppauge support page for the MediaMVP, there's a batch file for viewing the Media MVP screen on your PC simultaneously. You could try setting the output using the PC screen and then go through the usual routing of setting up Sage.

HTH,
Stu
Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Sage User

Good idea. I remember seeing that batch file; I don't know why that didn't occur to me.

I've already done it the hard way (located the xml file w/ the settings in a MAC-address-subdirectory of the app on my PC, and changed the "1" for PAL to a "0" for NTSC. I'm now waiting for the person in the room w/ the box to wake up so I can try rebooting it (and then rebooting again w/ Sage in the desperate hope that it holds the NTSC setting when I repoint it to Sage).

I'll repost back here after I've done that so everyone knows whether it works.

I can't believe I didn't think of that batch file!

Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Sage User

Angry

I just want to update everyone. Neither updating the batch file nor changing the setting via the PC (via the batch file) works. In the second case, the settings are changed in that session, but a reboot of the MVP (necessary for it to connect it to Sage) just puts it back into PAL mode.

I suspect that Newegg just got a bunch originally programmed for sale in Europe and that there's nothing I can do about it (short of sending it to Hauppauge for a lengthy round trip/reprogramming).

I'll update in this forum when I know more.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Sage Expert

As has been mentioned before in the MVP threads, the MVP doesn't loose its bootp programming easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat View Post
I sometimes find that unplugging an MVP for 15-20 minutes causes it to reset completely and tends to fix problems.

Accompany that with a server reboot and you should be ok. The MVP and the server sometimes get in a funky state where neither knows what to do.
So here are 3 options:

1) Use the batch file to set the OUTPUT then DISCONNECT THE MVP box from EVERYTHING to cause the SDRAM to bleed to zero. Wait, 20 minutes then plug it in and boot.

I doubt it, but you might need to erase the associated 'properties' file (MAC_address.properties) in the CLIENT folder.

2) Get the dealer to send you a unit that has been opened and verified set for NTSC.

3) This is your excuse to move to Europe! How lucky can you get!