SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Windows MCE 2005 or Windows XP Home?

I have just bought a new mobo, processor and hard drive. Would it be better to install Xp Home or MCE 2005 with Sage TV? Please Help.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Sage Expert

SageTV doesn't require or utilize any of the software features of MCE2005 and they can't run at the same time. Forum threads have warned that the MCE Services are not compatible with SageTV on servers because MCE likes to take control of the tuners.

The only parts people are using of their MCE bundles are the tuner and remotes.

MCE, XP Home, or XP Pro for SageTV HTPC os? discussion

Once upon a time MCE used to be based on XP-pro but because of cost issues M$ decided to revamp it and tack it onto XP-home.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo View Post
SageTV doesn't require or utilize any of the software features of MCE2005 and they can't run at the same time. Forum threads have warned that the MCE Services are not compatible with SageTV on servers because MCE likes to take control of the tuners.
While true, that doesn't mean you can't use the OS, you just have to disable the MCE services, just like you would any other PVR app.

Quote:
The only parts people are using of their MCE bundles are the tuner and remotes.

MCE, XP Home, or XP Pro for SageTV HTPC os? discussion

Once upon a time MCE used to be based on XP-pro but because of cost issues M$ decided to revamp it and tack it onto XP-home.
Where'd that come from, that makes no sense. MCE is XP Pro with Domain Joining disabled, and I think Cached Credentials removed. But for the home user they're equivalent (unless you've got a domain at home). Home on the other hand has crippled file sharing. Given a choice I'd install MCE or Pro.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
While true, that doesn't mean you can't use the OS, you just have to disable the MCE services, just like you would any other PVR app.

Where'd that come from, that makes no sense. MCE is XP Pro with Domain Joining disabled, and I think Cached Credentials removed. But for the home user they're equivalent (unless you've got a domain at home). Home on the other hand has crippled file sharing. Given a choice I'd install MCE or Pro.
But if I install MCE I have to disable the mediacenter portion so wouldn't it make sense to install XP Home. When I use the file sharing I always use simple file sharing. I find the file sharing in XP Pro too buggy outside of simple file sharing.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:26 PM
SageTVaholic

I can't stand simple file sharing, but to each his own...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Sage Icon

XP Pro or MCE 05 then at least you can RDP into it to control it.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Sage Icon

Educate me...

I've never used XP Pro...call me cheap so I've never known anything other than simple file sharing.

What am I missing?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Sage Icon

Remote desktop, you can RDP into MCE05 too though. If you don't have a built network you won't notice anything else.

You can get whole computers from the Dell outlet for little more then the price of an XP pro license.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
I've never used XP Pro...call me cheap so I've never known anything other than simple file sharing.

What am I missing?
Being able to password protect shares. Being able to choose who gets access and how much access they get.

With Home it's just "Share or not", "Write or not". If you share it in home, the world can access it and if you want one person to be able to write to the share, you have to let everybody.

That was a rude awakening when I got my laptop and it had XP Home, and I've despised XP Home ever since.