SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage and Slingbox-deadly!

Well, I got tivo, but stupid comcast is lying and giving me run arounds about cable cards, so I might have to return them. I also got a slingbox. It supports media center, so I thought I would give sage a try. It's close to bliss!

Will try to include some screen shots if I can
Lates
Mo
Old 11-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Sage Expert

Are you saying that it works well with Sage? What about the interface?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Heck yeah it works well with sage. I just used the IR blaster to my computer. It actually changes the remote buttons quickly. I use the MCE remote map. Try it out! You can get it at best buy. If you don't like it, my motto, can always return it! The webserver is a good idea, and placeshifter is awesome, so I would use this if you wanted a slingcatcher (when it comes out), or if you cant get the two above to work right. Plus the slingbox pro has multiple inputs. So you could hook up a cable box, and sage and sling it!
Mo
Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Sage Expert

I'm confused; are you able to sling sage recordings? Or are you using the sling box to sling tv to a pc, and then using sage to capture that video?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

All the slingbox is reallly, is a device that will capture what you put into it (via s-video/component etc.), and stream it over the net to slingplayer software which you can get for mobile phones, laptops, desktops, mac/windows etc (i hope they come out with one for iphone soon!). If I am at work, and use my slingplayer, it will show a screen for the display and an image of the mce remote. When it gets started, it shows my desktop at home, and if I click on the green button, it launches sage, and then there we go. It's like having the server at work! Its kind of like placeshifter.

Hope that helps, explaining it can get kind of confusing
Mo!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
All the slingbox is reallly, is a device that will capture what you put into it (via s-video/component etc.), and stream it over the net to slingplayer software which you can get for mobile phones, laptops, desktops, mac/windows etc (i hope they come out with one for iphone soon!). If I am at work, and use my slingplayer, it will show a screen for the display and an image of the mce remote. When it gets started, it shows my desktop at home, and if I click on the green button, it launches sage, and then there we go. It's like having the server at work! Its kind of like placeshifter.

Hope that helps, explaining it can get kind of confusing
Mo!
Why would you use slingbox instead of placeshifter? Just curious since I've used neither
Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Why would you use slingbox instead of placeshifter? Just curious since I've used neither
Placeshifter is great, but there are two limitations that I can't seem to get past:

1. No placeshifter for WinMo pocketpc/smartphone. Nielm's webserver can be used a workaround, but you run into the second problem.

2. The tighter the bandwidth, the more compress is required. More compression = higher CPU utilization. My Sage server is fine for most things, but transcoding video kills it. I could upgrade the server, but I'm trying to stretch the life out of this thing. I don't really know much about Slingbox, but it's my understanding that it handles all of the compression for streaming.

I think placeshifter's a great product; it's one of the reasons I switched from BeyondTV last year, but it's got a few limitations. Hopefully, after the buzz about the HD extender dies down, Sage can revisit portable video solutions again.

Of course, now I work from home full time, and I don't go anywhere...but that's another story.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah I am hoping that after sage has all the HD stuff out, they can concentrate on a nice web server page like they have for MCE. That is accessible anywhere and on cell phones etc.
That would be sweet
Mo
Old 08-01-2008, 01:08 AM

I have a video signal going into my slingbox but I can't seem to get the IR controls to work, any suggestions?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:44 AM
SageTVaholic

FWIW - I sent SlingMedia an HD Extender remote and an MVP remote. I am waiting for a response on the MVP remote, but they were able to create a profile for the HD Extender. No word on release yet either.

B