SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Does it play .srt subtitles?

I have some .avi movies for which I also have the subtitles available in .srt format. Plays fine on the HTPC, but via the MVP it does not seem to pickup the .srt subtitles.

Does the MVP not take .srt's into account?

Jan

Update: I'll have to double check this evening if it worked on the HTPC via Sage of if it was only via WMP...
Old 11-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Are you using the customized STV for that kind of subtitles on the MVP?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

I run SageMC on both HTPC and MVP. I just tested again, and on the HTPC it does show the subtitles, not on the MVP.

I switched to the standard UI on the MVP, and still no subtitles ...

I'm not using any other special STV for this (and it works on the HTPC).

Jan
Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Sage Icon

It sounds like you probably have VOBSUB installed on hte HTPC and it is displaying the .srt files. YOu probably have a green arrow in the task-tray when hte subtitles are playing.

Sage has no support for .srt files, but you can convert the .srt files to .smi and then use JREkiwi's closed caption playback import, http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23752 , which should work on the MVP as well as the HTPC. Actually, SAgeMC has some basic .smi support, but JREkiwi has updated the .smi code to include CC-on-mute, and other options.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.

Last edited by ke6guj; 11-16-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Jack,

You are 100% on the spot, I do have that green arrow and do remember having installed VOBSUB in the past.

I'll give JREkiwi's closed caption playback import a try, time permitting (it's not that I really need those sub's).

Thanks ,

Jan
Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Did convert .srt to .smi (which was amazingly simple).
Did rename the .srt file so it would not be recognized (changed name and made it an .srtx).
Did start video on HTPC via SageTV, subtitles ok. Did notice it still uses VOBSUB (green arrow is there + I did not import JREkiwi's closed caption playback import on the HTPC).
Did import JREkiwi's closed caption playback import on the MVP and YES, got subtitles.

Only one remaining problem, on the HTPC the subtitles are ok but on the MVP they are very very small. Not sure why. As both HTPC and MVP use same .smi file, and as it works ok on the HTPC, I do not believe it's an .smi file issue.

This evening I'll totally remove the .srt - so I'm 100% sure the HTPC is playing from the .smi file.

If any suggestions on what more to check, do let me know.

Jan

UPDATE => Had a better look at the import threat (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23752), and have seen there's a option to modify this. Will try this evening!

Last edited by JParedis; 11-19-2007 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Solution found
Old 11-19-2007, 03:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis View Post
Did convert .srt to .smi (which was amazingly simple).
Did rename the .srt file so it would not be recognized (changed name and made it an .srtx).
Did start video on HTPC via SageTV, subtitles ok. Did notice it still uses VOBSUB (green arrow is there + I did not import JREkiwi's closed caption playback import on the HTPC).
I'd try completely moving the .srtX files out of hte folder and see if vobsub still reads the .smi file. Actually, I just tested it myself, and vobsub does read the .smi files. problem is, there is no way to control vobsub via Sage to turn the subs on/off. That would be sweet if I could do so, that way I wouldn't need to convert a bunch of .idx/.sub files to .smi.

Quote:
Did import JREkiwi's closed caption playback import on the MVP and YES, got subtitles.
cool

Quote:
Only one remaining problem, on the HTPC the subtitles are ok but on the MVP they are very very small. Not sure why. As both HTPC and MVP use same .smi file, and as it works ok on the HTPC, I do not believe it's an .smi file issue.
you should be able to go into your Sage setup menu and access some caption settings adjustments. YOu could then increase the font size for the .smi captions. Mine are at 16, and I haven't messed with them.

Quote:
This evening I'll totally remove the .srt - so I'm 100% sure the HTPC is playing from the .smi file.
If the .srt file is renamed, I'm pretty sure that the HTPC is using vobsub to display the .smi file. I did a rename test and if it isn't the exact extension, vobsub won't use the captions.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Sage User

This thread is not alive anymore but here i found directions, i`m new to Sage and right now i`m using the Trial on my WHS to served video to 2 Helius MVP, i stop using the MVPs because the other software that i was using never show subs on the MVP so i got tired of it and now i`m planing to move 100% to Sage. Hope this work for me and my MVPs.