SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooferlad View Post
I don't use DVD playback because Sage doesn't resume imported material from the last position. ...
Install neilm's "Multi-function Stop" customization. It gives you an option to resume where you left off.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooferlad View Post
I don't use DVD playback because Sage doesn't resume imported material from the last position. ...
I don't know what version of SageTV you are using, but it has done this for a while now.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
The one thing that I want is the ability to list music according to the folder names and not the id3 tags some of my tags give bad info and I don't have the time to go through 20,000 files to fix them all I want to be able to switch perhaps from id3 to folder name. I have all my mp3s in folder trees like

Artist>Album
or:

Artist>Album>Disk#

See I have 10 import folders from different networked servers and its a pain to have to go folder view - import folder 8 - music - artist - album - play

this could be a .properties option to toggle id3 or folder names

then the now playing screen could still show id3 tag info and album art

I think it should be simple to implement but I could be wrong
Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think that the setup menu structure has to be totally reworked. The categories seem kind of arbitrary and the lists of items within each category seem to be sorted in an arbitrary manner.

Also, it would be nice to know whether the settings one is changing will effect a) the server; b) the client; c) all clients; d) all of the above. I feel like I do not have a clear understanding of that.

BTW, SageMC has similar issues, but the categories are a little better named.

A way to save client settings (which I know that SageMC has for at least the things that it changes) would be nice.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I don't know what version of SageTV you are using, but it has done this for a while now.

- Andy
Oops!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

My wish list ...

- USB Keyboard support on Sage HD Extender for local keyboard input.
- USB DVD support on Sage HD Extender for local DVD/CD playback.
- USB UIRT support on Sage HD Extender for IR control of the extender.
(HD Extender won't accept IR signals from my faviroite remote )
- USB Flash Drive support on Sage HD Extender for playback of local pictures, audio, etc.

Thanks, rrsavage
Old 06-05-2008, 07:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsavage View Post
My wish list ...

- USB Keyboard support on Sage HD Extender for local keyboard input.
- USB DVD support on Sage HD Extender for local DVD/CD playback.
- USB UIRT support on Sage HD Extender for IR control of the extender.
(HD Extender won't accept IR signals from my faviroite remote )
- USB Flash Drive support on Sage HD Extender for playback of local pictures, audio, etc.

Thanks, rrsavage
Support for a USB DVD drive on the HD100 is probably never going to happen. If it did happen it would be next to useless without increasing the price of the extender to include a license to decode actual store-bought DVD's. Without that it would be limited to unencrypted DVD's which would in turn encourage piracy. Not the kind of message Frey wants to send to the MPAA.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Support for a USB DVD drive on the HD100 is probably never going to happen. If it did happen it would be next to useless without increasing the price of the extender to include a license to decode actual store-bought DVD's. Without that it would be limited to unencrypted DVD's which would in turn encourage piracy. Not the kind of message Frey wants to send to the MPAA.
Unless there was USB drive (prefer BD to just DVD) that could "insure compliance" to the secured path... Some sort of handshake or something... don't think it is part of any standard today but it could be possible, no?

Sage HD extender accessories... seems like a decent add on.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Sage Icon

Another feature that I have not seen mentioned... Recording monitor for each encoder...

Let me explain. In some complex systems, there are external sources that are feeding intermediate encoders that feed the recordings to Sage. In many cases these sources are controlled by methods that may on occasion be less than perfectly reliable. These sources may also have their own quirks such that tuning to a channel that is unavailable may prevent success of future channel change activities. On top of that, each of the devices in these chains has their own opportunitiy to hiccup and need a jumpstart.

Add to this that these entire stacks of equipment are often in a closet somewhere out of the way and you can see the need for a quick monitoring of recordings or status even if the unit is not recording currently.

I see this - on the encoder setup screen a status for each encoder (what it is recording) and a button to monitor it.
If it is recording, you would just view the current recording (NOW, not from the beginning of the file). Maybe include some troubleshooting buttons like allowing a channel change pass through, or power cycle IR command. Also an option to delete as the wrong recording and look for future airings.

If the encoder is inactive, it would simply do "live TV" with the encoder. This would also have similar troubleshooting to above.

Any idea if this is doable within an STV? I don't really see anything that would require a core change (except maybe the additional IR command stuff).
Old 06-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Sage Fanatic

Suggestion

I'd like to see SageTV display the current screen resolution when you change from one resolution to another.. I'm never quite sure if I'm 1080 or whatever when I go into one recording and back out.. hitting the video out key on the remote changes your resolution, but you have no real way of knowing what it got changed to or from..

Just a thought!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post

True, I did not think about the licensing costs. Although, I would not mind paying a little extra for having local DVD/BluRay capabilities at the endpoint. I'm not suggesting that Sage would use the device for any recording capabilities, just localized playback. I know I can already accomplish this with a PC client, but I really like the form factor and zero noise of the HD Extender.

Thanks, rrsavage
Old 06-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsavage View Post
True, I did not think about the licensing costs. Although, I would not mind paying a little extra for having local DVD/BluRay capabilities at the endpoint. I'm not suggesting that Sage would use the device for any recording capabilities, just localized playback. I know I can already accomplish this with a PC client, but I really like the form factor and zero noise of the HD Extender.
Considering that you can buy a set-top DVD player at Walmart for like $25, the license can't be too expensive. If Sage wanted to pursue this they could probably sell a Sage-Branded USB DVD Player as an add-on and include the license as part of the bundle.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 06-05-2008, 02:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Considering that you can buy a set-top DVD player at Walmart for like $25, the license can't be too expensive. If Sage wanted to pursue this they could probably sell a Sage-Branded USB DVD Player as an add-on and include the license as part of the bundle.
It's not the license that would cost it's the DRM the content providers would force Sage to include in ALL of their software just to get the license in the first place.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
It's not the license that would cost it's the DRM the content providers would force Sage to include in ALL of their software just to get the license in the first place.
Which would prevent us from being able to playback DVDs via Extender. That would *NOT* a worthy tradeoff. One of the main reasons I chose Sage was because of DVD playback via extender.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
Which would prevent us from being able to playback DVDs via Extender.
Could you not put the DRM stuff into the DVD device? If the device itself managed the DRM, then the extender could then still function as it currently does.. no??
Old 06-06-2008, 08:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
Could you not put the DRM stuff into the DVD device? If the device itself managed the DRM, then the extender could then still function as it currently does.. no??
I don't know. Maybe they could get by with some kind of trick like Microsoft did with the original Xbox. They didn't want to pay for licenses for each Xbox so the license got attached to the IR receiver and remote. If you actually believed the IR receiver was capable of decrypting DVD's you'd be pretty thick headed.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
Probably but that would still mean they would have to program DRM into the box and while probably not likely the providers may require that the same DRM be put into the rest of the software too. It's all speculation. But if they do put a DVD drive in rather than a Blue-Ray it would likely be less restricted so more doable. However this will put SageTV more on the content providers radar than it already might be. The content providers (MPAA) could file a lawsuit and make rediculous claims and keep it in court until Sage is bankrupt even if they have nothing to stand on. I say why risk it - just keep it as it is. Then you don't have the hardware support costs either when the mechanical parts break/malfunction.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Sage Icon

Manual recordings - treated as "episode"

I have started looking ahead at the upcoming movies to look for things I'd like recorded. Many times these movies will have multiple airings. If I arbitrarily select an airing, it may inadvertantly generate an unresolvable conflict. It would be nice if Sage would manage these conflicts automatically... I know some have complained that sometimes favorites get bumped to a secondary airing and this has caused problems. I guess an option when you select manual recording would be "Record this Airing" or "Record this Episode." The rest of the recording logic seems to be smart with this regard (I mean episode based). I guess I could add the movies as favorites as that would allow the conflict resolution to work it out, but then i'd have to manage the favorite after it was complete.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post
i'd love 1, but would skip 2 for netflix integration or a version of the client to run on appletv. optical discs are passé,
I agree!

It could tream to a Sage Client running under FrontRow.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
I have started looking ahead at the upcoming movies to look for things I'd like recorded. Many times these movies will have multiple airings. If I arbitrarily select an airing, it may inadvertantly generate an unresolvable conflict. It would be nice if Sage would manage these conflicts automatically... I know some have complained that sometimes favorites get bumped to a secondary airing and this has caused problems. I guess an option when you select manual recording would be "Record this Airing" or "Record this Episode." The rest of the recording logic seems to be smart with this regard (I mean episode based). I guess I could add the movies as favorites as that would allow the conflict resolution to work it out, but then i'd have to manage the favorite after it was complete.
This is a fantastic idea. You should submit it to Sage for consideration... I run into this problem all the time (I record a lot of movies from Sho&Max).
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD