SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsung View Post
Schedule a recording for a show in case it ever comes on. My wife has been asking me to record a specific movie if it ever comes on. I'd love to be able to just type in the title and allow Sage to check the new Guide each time it downloads an update. In keeping with this thread, it would essentially be a wishlist for movies.
You can just set it as a favorite by title.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Time stretching would be a great feature but the one I really would like to see is a STB mode where I could interact directly with the STB. Not being able to handle Fios VOD through STV is the only thing that keeps me from implementing STV throughout my house.

Clients: HD200, HD300, Win7 Desktop

Capture Devices: Hauppauge Colossus & 1 HDHR, TV Service: Verizon FIOS
Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Sage Icon

OK, It's been just over 4 months since I've been a full time SageTV user. I would like to see the stock UI jazzed up just a tad, but not too much. My wishlist:

1. Give me a way to exit/unload the stock SageTV (& Client) with my remote. With my keyboard I can leave full screen and click the X to exit. I want to Exit when done, not go to standby. I want a clean start the next time I use Sage. In Detailed Settings if you enabled EXIT then the Main Menu item 'Standby' could show 'Exit' instead. If there is a way to exit with the remote, please enlighten me. My remote feels it's being treated unfairly.

2. Give me a way to play Blu-ray disks in the stock STV. Maybe just a setting in detailed settings where you can enable/disable Blu-ray playback. If you enable it, you would then supply the path to your Blu-ray playing software (i.e. \\program files\arcsoft\total media\uTheater, etc). Once enabled, the main menu selection for Play DVD could be changed to Play Blu-ray/DVD.

3. Give me a way to show or hide Main Menu items in the stock STV. In detailed settings you could have a selection to Show/Hide Live TV. If you decided to hide 'Live TV' it would no longer appear on the Main Menu.

I would think these things would be rather easy to implement and would make the stock interface a better place to be.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
OK, It's been just over 4 months since I've been a full time SageTV user. I would like to see the stock UI jazzed up just a tad, but not too much. My wishlist:

1. Give me a way to exit/unload the stock SageTV (& Client) with my remote. With my keyboard I can leave full screen and click the X to exit. I want to Exit when done, not go to standby. I want a clean start the next time I use Sage. In Detailed Settings if you enabled EXIT then the Main Menu item 'Standby' could show 'Exit' instead. If there is a way to exit with the remote, please enlighten me. My remote feels it's being treated unfairly.

2. Give me a way to play Blu-ray disks in the stock STV. Maybe just a setting in detailed settings where you can enable/disable Blu-ray playback. If you enable it, you would then supply the path to your Blu-ray playing software (i.e. \\program files\arcsoft\total media\uTheater, etc). Once enabled, the main menu selection for Play DVD could be changed to Play Blu-ray/DVD.

3. Give me a way to show or hide Main Menu items in the stock STV. In detailed settings you could have a selection to Show/Hide Live TV. If you decided to hide 'Live TV' it would no longer appear on the Main Menu.

I would think these things would be rather easy to implement and would make the stock interface a better place to be.

Can you say "Dynamic Menus"?

1. Exit:
Exit SageTV (or placeshifter) cleanly
This menuitemlet when pasted into the dynamic menu will add a menu item that will shut down the SageTV or SageClient? UI. There is a confirmation prompt of course, and you can always pincode-protect it! Take care when shutting down the server when not running in service mode -- you don't want to miss any recordings!

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE sageMenu PUBLIC "-//NIELM//DTD SAGEMENU XML 1.3//EN" "http://sageplugins.sourceforge.net/nielm_modules/dynamic_menu/sagemenu_1_3.dtd">
<sageMenu version="1.3">
    <internalScreenMenuItem screen="Null Menu Action (does nothing)" title="Exit Sage">
        <confirmPrompt>Are you sure you want to Exit SageTV</confirmPrompt>
        <evalExpression>Exit()</evalExpression>
    </internalScreenMenuItem>
</sageMenu>
2. Use Dynamic Menu to start up an external program like Cyberlink Powerdvd and play your Blue-Rays. Cyberlink can also be controlled by an MCE remote by default so If you're using one it makes it much easier to set up.

3. Add or remove menus in the default STV with Dynamic Menus. Remember to save your changes.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks Gerry, I'm off to search for how to use Dynamic menus. If I need help I'll find an appropriate thread.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

There is already a way to use X to shut down the client or server:
Setup - Detailed Setup - Customize - Action to take when SageTV Window is closed (set to "Exit SageTV")
Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
There is already a way to use X to shut down the client or server:
Setup - Detailed Setup - Customize - Action to take when SageTV Window is closed (set to "Exit SageTV")
How do you get to the X with your remote??
Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
How do you get to the X with your remote??
My remote has a "mouse mode"
Old 01-05-2009, 01:32 AM
Sage User

there is a couple of things I like to see, besides Brent's list.
Teletext support and a nice auto-tune function. I miss the feature to just press OK on the future program and get the option tune to it, X min before it starts.

I also like to see support for subtitles (teletext and DVB) but I guess that won't happen in a near future.

One more thing that I know is possible is the ability to decode more the one encrypted channel/Receiver (assuming that the channels are on the same MUX)
Old 01-10-2009, 01:52 AM

My vote would be for hulu.com support. From further reading in other threads in this forum, that would also require flash support. SO:

1) Support for Flash
2) hulu.com support

Using the flash player for hulu would inherently include the commercials and would likely not violate the TOS.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Sage User

Stop Green Link Light From Flashing

I would like to see the green link light on the front of the Sage box stay solid green when a good link is established instead of constantly flashing with every packet that comes to the box.

A dropped link could be indicated by a steady flashing green light at about 1 flash per second.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
You can just set it as a favorite by title.
Favorites by title only seem to allow you to choose from among the shows that are scheduled for the next 2 weeks. If I put a title into favorites by keyword, will that work? So does the keyword field always include the title of the movie?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Many users seem to have multiple HDPVRs or whatever device they're using. Some people toggle between two channels while watching live TV. It would be nice if when you press the "previous channel" button on a HD200 remote and there are multiple capture devices available, Sage knows to keep both channels recording. With the delays needed to tune to a specific channel, it would be nice to not have to "tune" each time you flip back and forth between two channels. I know I could just hit the record button and then delete the recording later, but it would be easier if the feature was activated with the "Prev CH" button.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

iPhone / Touch App

All i want now is a iPhone or Touch placeshifter client.. or a iPhone friendly web interface that will play movies and playlists...
Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
Yup especially when you have people over for a game or fight. I have a 70" and a 52" just feet away from each other (of course on the other side of the wall) and would be nice for them to be in sync.
I third the motion for a "synchronization" mode. I think it would be awesome to have all clients in a house with simultaneous, pausable playback for Superbowl parties, etc.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbmdave View Post
All i want now is a iPhone or Touch placeshifter client..
A placeshifter app for ALL smartphones!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

How about just some stability?

A certified reference platform.

A support tool you could run on your sage host as well as the extender to automagically scoop up your configuration details, logs, debugs, etc and ship them off the Frey?

M
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwalker View Post
How about just some stability?

A certified reference platform.

A support tool you could run on your sage host as well as the extender to automagically scoop up your configuration details, logs, debugs, etc and ship them off the Frey?

M
I'm a little surprised no 3rd party has taken this one on yet. I'd think with a little research you could put together a pretty repeatable sage only product.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristopher View Post
..ability to setup a 2nd Sage Media Server with additional TV tuners to record shows, and to be able to watch those shows from the 1st Server, Client or Placeshifter. (My current motherboard only has 2 PCI slots on it which gives me a maximum of 2 PVR500s or 4 tuners. A second similar machine would double the tuners available to 8.
Really old post to reply to, I know.... but I've gotta spew this out somewhere....

I fooled around with in-computer cards while I was struggling with MythTV.

Went over to a couple of these things: http://tinyurl.com/2kxt6h and haven't looked back.

Each unit stands alone - not directly connected to any PC - and makes two tuners available to any TV on the network via an Ethernet connection to one's router or switch.

They were plug-and-play all the way - in Windows XP and even in Linux (which, IMHO, is saying something).

I could have 24 tuners available if I wanted to spend the money.

Recently read that NewEgg has them on sale for $120.

Last edited by PeteCress; 01-27-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

HDHR is the bombe.

But it isn't perfect, and there are occasional friction issues in firmware between Sage and the HDHRs.

That said, I giggle every time someone sees HD on my set and their jaw falls open. "Mine doesn't look this good..."

"Well that's because Comcast crushes the life out of your signal. Get an antenna, ya homogenized yuppie."

M