SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Sage Expert

Oh, I forgot one:

Client-to-Go; a check-in/check out system for copying files to a portable device (IPOD, Zune, Zen) or laptop for playing without being connected to the network. I know you can transcode, but it would be cool if I could have a freestanding client on my laptop which when connected to the network updates my watched/don't like preferences.

Also, the Intelligent Recording Engine needs a tune-up; when I tell it I don't like a crappy Sci-Fi movie at 3:00 on Tuesday, I still don't like it when the Sci-Fi channel plays it at 7:00 on Wednesday.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongrimme View Post
* be able to stream alternative a/v streams to placeshifters/extendters (SlimPlayer)
YES, PLEASE!

I want internet radio on my extenders!!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
Most of these requests are from previous wish list for SageTV 6.x, such as:

-Live TV Only Mode, no recordings/buffering for those that still like to channel surf.
-Multi-Core (CPU) support on transcoding.
I really like these two also...
Old 11-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

1. In the UK 99% of freeview boxes will also pickup the radio station channels, sage however does not.

2. Simple internet browser.

3. DVD cover art and info retrieval.

4. Does sage allow use of a sky subscription card? If not.... then support for that.

5. Blu-Ray / HD-DVD support.

7. Correct channel numbering.

and MOST important

7. A much better way to obtain a reliable EPG than having to download third party grabbers, which never seem to work, meaning you have to read countless 5 year old howto's, none of which are relevant to the current version of the grabber, which in turn leaves you struggling on till 2am without result, before eventually giving in with a truly 'beaten' feeling. Surely if people can write free programs to do the job, sage can write their own integrated version which will update at an interval set by the user?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm withholding any video wishes until the HDextender comes out, hopefully that will clear up a lot of my issues. Aside from that,

#1 - Last.FM or Pandora support.
#2 - Better music visulization.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 11-19-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
Also, the Intelligent Recording Engine needs a tune-up; when I tell it I don't like a crappy Sci-Fi movie at 3:00 on Tuesday, I still don't like it when the Sci-Fi channel plays it at 7:00 on Wednesday.
It's funny because it's true, and you picked the perfect example!
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
lets see here

HDextender with USB ports so we can watch lets say, add-on HD DVD players like the XBOX 360 player

and adding support for dual or more, core cpu's , because current transcoding is great if it was the year 2002 (just like a few peeps above me)

Full support for USAL rotor control and some sort of proper instrutions for this TS plugin so that we can get our teletext etc.. plugins working and get rid of those dumb add-on programs. that make channel surfing high on PITA factor.

thats about it. all in all, its a great program as it stands right now if thats all I have to gripe about.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
You can do #2 already. Search on "network encoder".
I always wondered what the "Sage Recorder" was!

Ugh, why did I stick with BTV so long! Sage just keeps getting better!

THANK YOU!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristopher View Post
I always wondered what the "Sage Recorder" was!
DOn't use Sage Recorder for your network encoder, use a second copy of the Full SageTV Media Center software. Sage Recorder is no longer updated and does not support usage of the newer tuners cards, like the PVR-500.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

• Ability to play an audio CD from the music menu
  • Per-favorite auto conversion
  • "What's Playing" thumbnail page of all active tuners with ability to select
  • Ability to cycle between tuners while channel surfing without risk of canceling an active IR
  • Finally kill that slow, pathetic, ugly music visualization and add some cool ones
  • Option to use MySQL/SQL Server Express DB engine instead of Wiz.bin
  • Scroll long filenames in music browser rather than render with -16 font
  • SageTV server installer that only deletes the service and reinstalls if the path has changed
  • SageTV client installer that doesn't overwrite your AC3Filter configuration
  • Not scheduling simultaneous recordings of identical program names on HD and SD stations
  • Consistent play and queuing behavior (ie pressing play on a folder queues and plays, but pressing play on a single item will only queue, not play)
  • Ability to specify a screensaver, rather than using imported pictures
  • LastFM integration
  • Netflix "Watch it Now" integration
  • Native DVD recording capability

Last edited by GTwannabe; 11-20-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

The most important thing is a better media player. Whether it's EVR under vista or a newer version of mplayer or whatever... there are just too many problems with people getting good HD playback in Windows Media Player or Media Center or VLC player and crappy, choppy playback in Sage.

Ideally, there would be a way for use to specify graphs that Sage would use in the internal media player.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
DOn't use Sage Recorder for your network encoder, use a second copy of the Full SageTV Media Center software. Sage Recorder is no longer updated and does not support usage of the newer tuners cards, like the PVR-500.
I ended up reading that as I was searching through the forums. Thanks though.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristopher View Post
I ended up reading that as I was searching through the forums.
Appendix G of the PDF manual has the basic instructions.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Not scheduling simultaneous recordings of identical program names on HD and SD stations
YES! So simple too! I ended up just deleting the SD channels from my list, except that on some shows not in HD, I find the picture of the 480i broadcast is much better than the sharpened, edge enhanced, badly deinterlaced, upscaled to HD version. How do people watch that crap?

Lots of good suggestions here, but I'm going to have to tell people to stop with the HD-DVD and BluRay requests because it just ain't gonna happen. It sucks balls on PowerDVD, and we don't even have native DVD playback yet. One step at a time gentlemen.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

My biggest wish for SageTV, after the HD Extender is out, is an extender solution for Mobile devices. And I mean with full-blown UI. Thats what I like with SageTV, have one interface all over, wherever you are. I did put a little technical info about this in another thread, so I'll copy a little of that.

We know SageTV build their software through heavy use of Java. Nothing wrong with that in itself. But we get a problem with mobile devices. As of now SageTV seems to require that both the 'full' Client and PlaceShifter Client uses a full version of Java Runtime. Meaning, there is no PlaceShifter for J2ME. Even though if there was, several devices would be out of luck, because not all mobile devices have J2ME (although it would be better than nothing).

My wish would be that SageTV made an open 'lightweight extender protocol'. What I mean with this is that the we can program native/non-java individual clients for mobile devices, because this 'protocol' is easy to implement. With this, the client asks for access, and tells the interface dimension and what MPEG2/MPEG4 transcoding bitstream it wants (most optimal for the device). Only thing beeing sent between the server and device then is changed static bitmaps of interface and video stream if that is active, and key events from client back to server. I actually think this is how the MVP extender worked before Sage took it in officially, and put the intelligence into the device. I do know this will make the interface 'sluggish', but it beats not having anything at all. And it would work on most devices.

One thing that ties in with this is that I would like SageTV to simplify its Client license system. Make them all roaming if possible. Meaning, I buy 3 Client licenses, and that works like max 3 simultaneous Clients connected at any time against the server. Whatever type: PC Client, HD Extender, Placeshifter, Mobile Extender (hoping). Although it might not be that easy if there are royalties SageTV pays that ties into the different Client solutions.

Last edited by voidpt; 11-20-2007 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:38 AM
Sage User

My 3 Wishes

1. Multi-User Support (Being able to log in (password optional) as different people to get different show lists, etc.

2. Automatic show bracketing. What I mean is to have SageTV where I can set global values for how long before and after a show to record without having to set those every dang time I set something to record. I can still change the before and after record times on a per show basis but SageTV would automatically use these values. I find 2 min. before and after a show usually gets everything.

3. Better media center. Allow video playlists and when done playing a file, return back to the directory list just like it was before the video started playing.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

My 2 cents:

- one more vote for custom channel guides per tuner
- custom profiles for each viewer (fav channels, recording views, etc.)
- multi-zone, multi-source audio support (either offboard via current hardware solutions or onboard via software)
- integration and/or tolerance of home automation packages
- free the metadata!!! complete, accessable and unimpeded to everything
- tap in to the internet viewing for the major shows (Heroes, Life, etc.) and get them cached on local Sage
- automated excuse generator for those nights I stay up too late watching all of my shows until the wee hours
Extenders: 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-300 on Atlona PRO3HD66m
Sage: V9.0.14.567 with OpenDCT on unRaid docker, Gemstone, BMT, Web UI, PlayOn, TiSage
Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Some things I've often wished for:

The ability to allocate a tuner for live TV viewing that will NEVER be used for recordings.

And on the flip side, the ability to allocate a tuner to ONLY be used for recordings.

The ability to specify which tuner a recording is to be made on explicitly (not just depending on the merits).

Mini-guide functionality in the base STV. If anyone has seen the miniguide that Verizon FIOS has rolled out recently (my father in law has it) - something like that. It is really sweet.

More aspect ratios (custom ones) to choose between. Fill Source 4x3 16x9 are not enough.

btl.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Picture-in-Picture (MythTV does it)

Play CD's from the music menu.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 11-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Sage Expert

1) Netlix Watch it now integration
2) A more robust Archive system. Archiving should move the show to a specified directory and optionally compress it., while maintaining the show infomration. Then, you can just backup the archive.