SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusvball View Post
Picture-in-Picture (MythTV does it)

Play CD's from the music menu.
Bah, since we're going crazy why stop at picture in picture? How about all 2-4 TV streams playing simultainously in quadrants. That'd be a badass way to watch football on sat/sun
Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm all for the multi display. Same as the NHL CenterIce MultiVu. video of all going at the same time with the ability to pick the sound from which screen you want to listen to.

Sage Server: i5-2500K 8 GB DDR, 6000gb HDD, 4xHD-PVR < 4xBell 6141, Win7 x64
Client 1: HD-200, Panasonic 42PX75
Client 2: HD-300, Samsung LCD
Client 3: HD-300, Samsung PN50C550
Client 4: MS Surface Pro
Old 11-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

• Let me stop any recording mid-way (and don't delete the recorded portion unless I say so).
  • "Babysitter" mode - let me open a tuner for live viewing for a specified period of time so the babysitter can watch live tv and won't stop a scheduled recording.
  • What the heck is "wiz.bin"? It's 2007, you know. How about MySQL or SQLite?
  • Stop adding channels without telling me. The other day I got to watch twenty minutes of a black screen HD hockey game instead of the actual game on SD.
  • Let me specify a favorite that should always record the first time it's on. I hate when my Devils games aren't recorded until a re-airing at 2:00 a.m. so that Sage can record an Islander's game at 7:00.
  • Let me pick which channel for recording if the same show is on two channels (like a hockey game on both teams' channels).
  • Stop messing with the UI like a shareware author on too much caffeine. Do some basic usability research, fix it once, and then stop with the bells and whistles
- Jeff
Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Sage Expert

My major items in order of priority would be:
  • Sports Lounge (similar to MCE's implementation which works great)
  • Picture-in-Picture
  • Fix issues with FSE and codecs
  • Implement latest Vista technologies (e.g. EVR)
  • Better integrate Commercial Skipping out of the box
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
1) Picture-In-Picture - I have yet to come across a piece of HTPC software that did this (or did it well).
CTpvr dose this in fact it only that dose this

Quote:
Bah, since we're going crazy why stop at picture in picture? How about all 2-4 TV streams playing simultainously in quadrants
You need very high end system and very high end video card for playing 4 simultainously streams with it eat up all cpu useage which most video card can bearly do 2 simultainously and that buying the biggst and baddest hardware.
To bad nobody is making hardware decoder add-on card there only devices that can handle this kind of stuff with out problem.

Quote:
Picture-in-Picture (MythTV does it)
Ture but it run under Linux and real pain neck to get working rigth

Hmm Blu-Ray & HD-DVD support I wouldn't count it there a few reason why that will most like not happing any time soon.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Sage User

-gapless audio
-replaygain support
-smart playlists (support for multiple genres per file...semicolon seperated)
Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Sage Icon

Lot's of good ideas... maybe we should be capturing them to the first post and keeping a tally...

My biggies from a feature perspective (I trust that SAGE is working on the performance issues that we all want):

Favorites
keep at least -for those kids shows ... i don't care if it has been watched, keep at least this many . preferably prioritize deletion/ recording to those watched longest ago.

"I HATE IT" - take aggressive negative profiling to an extreme - the anti favorite. I MAY OCCASIONALLY WATCH THE NEWS... i do not EVER want any news recorded via IR

Multi- field favorites (boolean). Title :College football +Keyword (team of interest)
Channel lineup
Don't mess with the lineup without telling me... Just because my provider adds a channel, does not mean that I am authorized, or even WANT it... How about a friendly popup... new channels are available in lineup xyz, would you like to go to channel setup?

"Custom" lineup for each tuner.
Other
Photo DB integration w/ picassa or some other photo db

Weather alert - Popup from weather allert signals from National weather service

Pass through IR to server - Could be a workaround for PPV just need to be a little patient. Could also help clear STB issues (resets, etc) from remote location.

Pass through IR to client - set up IR events for Client IR blaster.

Link Manual recording to airing.... if you have to catch something via manual (due to last minute scheduling issue or previously mentioned PPV) let me match it to an airing record for the details

Others previously mentioned that I would add +1 to:
Babysitter mode... I like that one, could be called guest mode. Taking it a step further than the previous suggestion of freeing a tuner. IGNORE ALL WATCHED activity until deactivated. I don't need IR thinking that I like the teen fluff there is out there... also don't want to autodelete musclecars episode if the sitter happens to be my brother.

Multi User

CD play/rip

BR / HD DVD - if not native, play nice with handoff to outside application

FM... how about AM anyone...

Web radion/ pandora

Podcast support

Last edited by briands; 11-20-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

With Multi User mode you could certainly specify a "guest" mode that cannot change scheduled recordings and all watched shows will not auto delete. I have no idea how many interesting shows I missed because my unemployed brother comes over to play xbox because he is too damn cheap to get his own Live account (he can afford it even without a job).

I really like this one. I'm having trouble figuring out more features I really need, but this one sounds great to me. Once the HD extenders come out I'll be a happy camper. My main box just started acting up and it is stuttering on 1080i fast motion and I can't get into the Nvidia Control Panel for some reason. instead of fixing it I'm holding out for a HD extender so I can just ditch this thing.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

1) One more vote for multi-user. I've been asking for this for years. This would perfect to help manage my Sage install given the variety of users that access it; kids, guests, babysitters, etc
2) Official support for FM Radio. I've got the existing plugin working but it would have this ability officially integrated.
3) integrated web browsing (hard to do certainly, but it would be very useful to be able to browse the web via remote control and onscreen keyboard)
4) Another one I've been requesting for years; ability to specify recording merit as separate from Live TV merit for tuners. When recording shows I want my "best" tuner selected first and then the "next best" and so on. When watching Live TV I want my "worst" tuner selected first and then "next worst" (in case of more than one Sage Client watching Live TV at the same time) and so on. Having separate merit scales for recording versus live gives users one more tool in tailoring the system to their needs.

Cheers
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 11-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

IR Pass Through to the cable box would be great. Right now, to watch movies on demand is a hassle. I'd love to be able to handle that from Sage.

- Jeff
Old 11-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Sage Icon

My desires:

- Optimize both service and client for multi-core systems (this would quadruple the speed of the service initializing for me)

- Native x64 support

- EVR playback support for Vista

- Good parental controls/security (Multi-user would probably suffice as long as there is security)

- Allow external database (MySQL or whatever) for recordings info etc. Keep proprietary guide info in Wiz.bin and allow everything else to be external.

- Distribute multiple concurrent recordings amongst recording drives instead of just choosing the one with the most available space.

- Cable card support
Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Some things I've often wished for:

The ability to allocate a tuner for live TV viewing that will NEVER be used for recordings.

And on the flip side, the ability to allocate a tuner to ONLY be used for recordings.
I'd like this ability as well.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:49 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm a newbie here so if these features are already built in feel free to correct me.

1. True Fast Forward, Rewind and Slow Motion FF & RW. I know theres a add-on that can make this work for most situations, but shouldn't it be built in?
2. Improved standard install user interface. The current one is ugly and makes me move to one of the customizations immediately.
3. Built-in ad-skipping. Again available with some work with add-ons, but sure would be nice to have it built in.
4. CableCard. I know it's unlikely, but still highly desired.

Those are the big ones for me. Features wise, SageTV is above and beyond the competition. Ease of setup, ease of use and streamlined UI are the things that hold it back imho.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ditto.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
YES, PLEASE!

I want internet radio on my extenders!!
Yes, Yes, Yes
Old 11-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

the ability to change out the compression commandline (for mencoder) complete with after-action batch file execution a la gbpvr.

Cory
Old 11-25-2007, 06:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkboat View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes
not just internet, also MPEG3 SAT/Cable DVB-C/S digital radio

or even better gateway to slimserver plugins.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginsAudio

Last edited by bjkiller; 11-25-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Hmm Blu-Ray & HD-DVD support I wouldn't count it there a few reason why that will most like not happing any time soon.
Maybe not, but it is still on my wishlist (thread title).

I have three kids and prefer spending my money on new content as opposed to replacing disks that I've already purchased once. I won't switch to HD DVD/Blue Ray until I can protect my purchases or until the movie companies become willing to replace bad disks without me having to purchase them again.

I am not a thief and I hate paying over and over again (DRM) for the friggin thiefs that are out there. In my view, replacing disks that have gone bad is the movie company stealing from me.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Sage User

1. Picture in picture and Picture by Picture (2 screens side by side)
2. The ability to setup a tuner for viewing only, no recording
3. The ability to assign recordings to specific tuners
2. One button switching of tuners like an input button.
3. Blu-ray and HD DVD support built into the Media Center
4. Multiple channel guide support
5. The ability to disable channel mapping
6. The ability to force a guide update
7. Show categories grouped by movie or television show (i.e. the ability to search for sci-fi movies and not get result for both sci-fi movies and sci-fi television shows)
8. Have a recorded show buffer without using Intelligent recording and be able to specify how many hours the system retains.
9. Have the following plug-ins integrated into Sage TV
-Nielm Web-based User Interface
-Nielm Multi-speed Continuous FF/REW
-Nielm Multi-function Stop
-MovieTimes STV Import
-Bob Phoenix Media Player Time Jump
Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR View Post
2) There are some shows that I like that my wife doesn't like (and vice versa). While this doesn't bother me too much, she complains that she has to scroll through all those extra shows to get to the "real" shows that she wants to watch. It would be good to have another flag to filter these shows by "user" or "watcher".
Custom categories attached to your favourites would solve this problem. I just figured out how to use custom categories to simulate BTV's recording folders, which is what I use to separate my shows from my wife's shows from my kids' shows.

Please, please help out us BTV users make the switch, put in this seemingly trivial addition of custome categories. I would order SageTV and three client licenses and a placeshifter today if this was in there. But without it, I am still on the fence.

Greg

Last edited by gveres; 11-27-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Oh and audio while doing 1.5x and 2x FF playback ala PowerDVD and WinDVD. This is great for watching talk shows.