SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
What exactly do you mean by co-opt the SageMC guys? I don't think they've given up on the default UI. They just want it to do more things and look slightly different. That's the great thing about Sage, you can make it do all kinds of things if you want to.
SageMC is a complete rewrite. It is not a slightly different, it is totally different. When you first install it, it looks bland. Then you have to spend significant amount of time customizing it. Take a look at the screenshots from the SageMC customization thread, every one of them represents significant effort that I have to reproduce if I want that UI.
Also whenever SageTV is updated SageMC has to be updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
Marking of commercials can be done by comskip or ShowAnalyzer and with either SageMC or an import can automatically skip them. With EP's SageMC Video Tools plugin or others for the default UI the commercials can be removed from the recordings.
It is not integrated in SageTV. I am looking for what BeyondTV has. Install BeyondTV and you have commercial marking and skipping.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Sage Icon

It didn't take me much time at all to customize SageMC. Also, it is not every new version of SageTV that requires a new version of MC.

If you're not interested in all the customizations you can do with Sage, maybe it's not right for you. Sage is a hobby and getting it "perfect" can take the rest of your life as you discover new things to do with it that you hadn't thought of before.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

WHS

Remote scheduling over the web specifically for the Windows Home Server version.

Every WHS installation gives you your own domain name (something.homeserver.com) and creates a basic homepage hosted on the WHS which allows you to access your files, whs settings, and remote desktop access of client computers over the internet.

Sage should add a link to the WHS homepage which goes to a channel guide that allows for remote scheduling of shows.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
Remote scheduling over the web specifically for the Windows Home Server version.

Every WHS installation gives you your own domain name (something.homeserver.com) and creates a basic homepage hosted on the WHS which allows you to access your files, whs settings, and remote desktop access of client computers over the internet.

Sage should add a link to the WHS homepage which goes to a channel guide that allows for remote scheduling of shows.
I've been using remote scheduling over the web for over a year and a half, about as long as I've had sage, using the SageTV WebInterface Plugin.

While I'll agree it'd be nice if it was available as part of the base install, the install was easy as can be and has been available for a long time.

(time to make sure American Idol is set to record tonight)
Old 01-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xred View Post
Throwing my 3 on the pile...

1. Distributed Audio Video Mode. - From the server you should be able to put all the clients in "slave mode". The clients could put up a message stating something like "A request has been made to put this client in slave mode. Allow? Y/N?

Once in slave mode the clients would playback an AV stream in sync with each other off the server. This would make Sage the ultimate replacement for pricey distributed audio systems and even pricier video distribution systems.

2. Support for playback of BD / HD-DVD & CD Audio discs... along with that add request "2b" an HD extender with a built in optical drive.

Comment 1 and 2 would be fantastic!!!

But also, Netflix (Viewing ) intergration would be great as well.

But if I had to pick just one new feature...that would be the ability
to run a copy of placeshifter on my windows ce mobile phone the way
I do with my Sling box.

I think porting the placeshifter to Win CE or Palm, etc....
...would give me the ability to get rid of my Slingbox for good.

Currently my SlingBox enables me to stream almost any video source
to my phone. I can watch TV, movies, etc......

I would love to see Placeshifter ported to these platforms.

Data packages for phones have unlimited data plans and are becoming
pretty affordable.

The chance to get rid of another box near my TV would be GREAT !!!!!!!!!

rlb.....
Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would like to see Sagetv 7.0 handle viewing conflicts similar to how Microsoft does it. It seems silly to me that one can not be provided list of tuners that are already in use and be given the option to take over one of them. Microsoft handles this feature very gracefully.

I consider the way sage handles this as a bug but they consider as by design.
I hope this can be corrected in the current version or possibly in version 7.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulink View Post
I would like to see Sagetv 7.0 handle viewing conflicts similar to how Microsoft does it. It seems silly to me that one can not be provided list of tuners that are already in use and be given the option to take over one of them. Microsoft handles this feature very gracefully.
I second this request. Microsoft's solution of displaying the shows currently being used on the tuners and giving you the option of canceling on of the recordings, is a pretty elegant solution to the problem.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelwood View Post
I second this request. Microsoft's solution of displaying the shows currently being used on the tuners and giving you the option of canceling on of the recordings, is a pretty elegant solution to the problem.
Unless you're the person in the other room watching the program and someone else "steals" your tuner. I miss the elegant part of that scenario. (In Sage watching Live TV IS a recording.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Unless you're the person in the other room watching the program and someone else "steals" your tuner. I miss the elegant part of that scenario. (In Sage watching Live TV IS a recording.)

Gerry
Coming soon. To a SageClient near you. The Battle of the Tuners!

She wanted to watch Sex in the City!

He wanted to watch Die Hard with a Vengeance!

There weren't enough tuners for everybody!

Watch in horror as he mindlessly pre-empts the available tuner!

Squeal with delight as she ruthlessly takes it back!

The action. The excitement. The upcoming divorce!

Don't miss this edge of the seat thriller now playing in VMC households across the Nation.

Hopefully not coming to a Sage system near you. Popcorn not included.

S
Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulink View Post
The keyword is gracefully. When tuners are used up, it would display a "Playback Exception: ERROR: ( 1, 0x123456789 )" when you tell it not to cancel other recordings in progress. A more graceful message would be something like "The selected show could not be recorded because all available tuners are currently being in use." It can be followed by the playback exception error code. And at the bottom of that message, it should have an option button to go back to the conflict window to allow you to cancel one of the recordings to record the new show.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage really needs a concept of a "recorded" show vs a "live" show. The message "The selected show could not be recorded because all available tuners are currently being in use." would be very misunderstood by most users.

"What? I'm not trying to record that show. I just want to watch it"

That's one of the reasons I listed that I'd like to specify tuners for scheduled recordings and other tuners for live viewing. Both are recording, but you could set up at least as many tuners as you have TV's so that every TV in the house can watch live anytime......
Old 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post

That's one of the reasons I listed that I'd like to specify tuners for scheduled recordings and other tuners for live viewing. Both are recording, but you could set up at least as many tuners as you have TV's so that every TV in the house can watch live anytime......
That's impractical for a lot of people.

I've got 5 tvs. I've got 8 tuners in use. 2 are OTA HD. 3 are Directv Settop boxes. 3 are basic cable only.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM
SageTVaholic

You don't have to use it if it's impractical. Everything's a "scheduled" recording as far as Sage is concerned now.

Most people probably don't have a mix of that many sources (although I will soon as well.) It's over kill maybe to have a tuner (or a set of them) reserved for live TV for each set in the house, but it should be possible.

Of course, just adding more tuners eliminates most tuner conflicts, which is why I have as many as I do.

btl.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Sage User

Send a message via Yahoo to bbroerman
Wish list...

I would add a vote for ISO playback, with the ability to add keywords, etc. similar to MP3's IDV2 tags.

I would also like to see the ability to sort and track status of shows by user (especially when users are at different positions in the middle of a show)

I would also like to see SageTV support the FM tuners in the Hauppauge cards. (as well as support for sattelite and internet radio sources) It would be nice to have broadcast radio added.

I am not so sure about BlueRay or HD-DVD as this would require Sage to cater to the MPAA in adding all sorts of DRM, etc. That would probably be a nightmare...
Old 02-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbroerman View Post
I

I would also like to see SageTV support the FM tuners in the Hauppauge cards. (as well as support for sattelite and internet radio sources) It would be nice to have broadcast radio added.
I believe there is a plugin that does this!
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Sage User

Colour Bars / Display Calibration graphics generator (per input)
Old 02-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

One source of program data (EPG) controlling multiple devices.

I can get all the EPG data I for all my channels from my DVB tuner but it can't be used to control the Sat box on my PVR (or any other device).

This can be done by using external XMLTV EPG via StephaneM's XMLTV importer but when the XMLTV source is unreliable and incomplete it doesn't work to well.

Basically get SageTV to be able to create different lineups for different sources from one source of EPG and control the tuners appropriately

.............T1 T2 T3 etc
Chan 1 Y ..N ..Y
Chan 2 N ..Y ..Y
Chan 3 Y ..Y ..Y
etc

Extensions could be:
1) To be able to merge all the sources of EPG into one combined EPG source and then assign each channel to the appropriate tuner.

2) Prioritise tuner use

.............T1 T2 T3 etc
Chan 1 2 ....x ...1
Chan 2 .x....2 ...1
Chan 3 3 ....2 ...1
etc
Old 02-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xred
Throwing my 3 on the pile...

1. Distributed Audio Video Mode. - From the server you should be able to put all the clients in "slave mode". The clients could put up a message stating something like "A request has been made to put this client in slave mode. Allow? Y/N?

Once in slave mode the clients would playback an AV stream in sync with each other off the server. This would make Sage the ultimate replacement for pricey distributed audio systems and even pricier video distribution systems.

2. Support for playback of BD / HD-DVD & CD Audio discs... along with that add request "2b" an HD extender with a built in optical drive.

Comment 1 and 2 would be fantastic!!!

But also, Netflix (Viewing ) intergration would be great as well.

i'd love 1, but would skip 2 for netflix integration or a version of the client to run on appletv. optical discs are passé,
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 02-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

My two cents:
1. When I select a program guide and have to cancel an active recording to do so I would really like it if sage did not go and apply a new favourite 7 seconds later and steal the channel back again!! sometime this happens more than once and I end up making the show I am watching a manual recording.
It should pop up the "Can i change the channel box" or similar.

2. In the music artist folder display menu use the specified font size for the albums titles as well as the artist name.

3. Set parental controls on imported videos. Maybe a file with the same name as the video with a suffix of rating. e.g. terminator.18 or similar, you get what I mean.

4. This ones a bit wild. When there is a popular show with many viewers someone invariably leaves the watched flag set and it gets deleted before everyone gets to view it. Can we have a message a bit like the "delete this recording" message which asks if we want to turn the watched indicator on? Maybe this could be part of the favourites to set some shows up as having "un-sticky" watched flags.

Thats it. Will a couple of weeks be enough time?
Client3: ABIT IC7, P4 2.4, 512MB RAM, XP Pro.
Client4: ABIT AI7, Celeron 2.4, 512MB RAM, XP Pro.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Transcoder Setup

Nice to have possibility in SageTV 7 to set transcoder setup for any particular transcoding (size, resolution, cropping, interlacing and so on) within open SageTV... and not just editting sagetv.properties file and then restart SageTV.
Intel® Celeron® Quad-Core Processor J1900 @ 1.99 GHz; AsRock Q1900M (Intel(R) Chipset (2013-08-01) Ver.9.4.4.1006 Lithography 22 nm; Bay Trail-M/D SOC (formerly known as ValleyView2); RAM 2x4Gb Kingston 1600MHz PC3-12800 DDR3; SSD 128GB & HDD 2TB; SageTV HD200 (Firmware v.20100909 0); Hauppauge HVR-2250 PCI-E; Hauppauge HD PVR-1212; USB-UIRT; Win7Ultimate SP1; FireFox v.41.0.2; SageTV v.9.0.4.224 (STV v.2015101301); VLC v2.2.1; JRE v.1.8.00_73