SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Sage User

SageTV HD Media Extender license?

I did a quick search and didn't find an answer to my Q.

Will the HD Media Extender use a new type of extender license or will my existing MVP extender licenses work with the new HD extenders?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

It should be the same license... but it won't much matter since it will come with the license it needs.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
It should be the same license... but it won't much matter since it will come with the license it needs.

- Andy
What about us that already have our (6 in my case) licenses in place? No discount for just the hardware, I guess? Oh well, I guess I shouldnt complain too loudly, I just want them to be available!!!

Nick
Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Sage Expert

Remember: an unused MVP license can become a Placeshifter license....

Thus, I need to beef up my server for my kids at college to placeshift into my Sage server, now that I will have 2 extra licenses.

Gary Ellis
Old 11-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:

- Andy
That's a bummer for those of us with numerous MVPs that will be changed over to HD Extenders. I guess I will switch one license over to a placeshifter license, but the others are just going to waste.

That being said, I can't wait to get my hands on an HD extender (or 4).

Brian
Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have the same issue (not complaining, I think $200 is a good deal)...

what do I need to do to convert my existing licenses to placeshifter licenses? (sorry for asking, I'm betting if i read a little I'd find it )
Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
what do I need to do to convert my existing licenses to placeshifter licenses?
Nothing -- extender & Placeshifter licenses are essentially the same thing. As long as all the licenses aren't already in use for currently active connections, you can connect using another PS or extender client.

If you meant what to do in order to change a SageTV Client license to a PS license... the answer is still 'nothing', since they can't be converted.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
As long as all the licenses aren't already in use for currently active connections, you can connect using another PS or extender client.
What does this mean exactly, Connected? If the extender isn't playing any media, or its not turned on? I.e. If I buy an HD extender and then go out of town will place-shifting only work if I remember to turn off my extender at home before I leave?

I have sage client right now, and if the server is down, it says "lost connection" That implies to me that even when idle the license is in use.

Whats the scoop?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee View Post
What does this mean exactly, Connected? If the extender isn't playing any media, or its not turned on?
If an extender is connected to the server, its license is in use. It doesn't matter if it is playing media, just sitting at a menu, or in screen saver mode, it is still active. (The screen saver can be a slideshow & it would get those pictures from the server. It also is ready to wake up & go to a menu at any time.)

Quote:
I.e. If I buy an HD extender and then go out of town will place-shifting only work if I remember to turn off my extender at home before I leave?
Yes -- use the power button to turn it off. This puts an extender into soft power off mode & frees its license/connection.

- Andy
Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

One nice thing about the MVP is that a way to power it off was reverse engineered by the Sage Fanatics here, and then neilm added that functionality to the web server.

Feature request : expose some mechanism so that the HD extender can be put into soft power mode from the Server.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 PM

Lightbulb

Opus4,

Does this only apply to the same type of computer that the license was purchased for?

eg, If I buy a Mac license, can I "disconnect" it, and use that license on a pc?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by genius74 View Post
Does this only apply to the same type of computer that the license was purchased for?

eg, If I buy a Mac license, can I "disconnect" it, and use that license on a pc?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but...

Media extender and Placeshifter licenses are installed on the server. Any type of remote client can connect to that server, where remote client = HD100 extender, MVP extender, Windows Placeshifter, Mac PS, Linux PS...

- Andy
Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the question, but...

Media extender and Placeshifter licenses are installed on the server. Any type of remote client can connect to that server, where remote client = HD100 extender, MVP extender, Windows Placeshifter, Mac PS, Linux PS...

- Andy
ok.. I'll try again..

I purchase the PC version of the Media Center Server software
I purchase the OSX version of the Sage Client

Can I use that OSX client license ONLY on a Mac, or for anything (PC, Linux ,etc)?

Sorry just trying to get an understanding.. I don't want to buy a full time Client for my Mac, but I'd like the option to use it whenever one is "open"...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by genius74 View Post
I purchase the PC version of the Media Center Server software
I purchase the OSX version of the Sage Client

Can I use that OSX client license ONLY on a Mac, or for anything (PC, Linux ,etc)?
SageTV Client licenses work differently compared to Placeshifter or Extender licenses.

SageTV Client licenses are specific to the PC and to the OS you purchased it for. They are not shared at all.

- Andy
Old 12-14-2007, 02:04 PM

Cool

Quote:
SageTV Client licenses work differently compared to Placeshifter or Extender licenses.

SageTV Client licenses are specific to the PC and to the OS you purchased it for. They are not shared at all.

- Andy
Thanks for clearing that up!