SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Why isn't there a standard flame for posts like this?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Perry,

1. Sage is the least of your worries. Stop now and learn some simple tact, along with spelling and grammar. Seriously...if you can't take the time to form your "rant" properly, how are we to assume you've taken adequate care in setting up your system? Given the errors in your post, I can only imagine what your setup must look like. Generally speaking, those who cannot accurately DESCRIBE the problem ARE the problem.

2. Wireless is an intermittent technology. It is for browsing the web on your laptop, not as a full-time platform for video. Wireless only works in the BEST of conditions....and again, if your post is any indication, I'm certain your wireless setup is far from ideal. If one is too lazy to wire one's house (and ALL houses can be wired) one deserves whatever frustration wireless brings.

3. If you want help, there are better ways to ask for it than to ignorantly assume that an entire product line belongs in the toilet. What you fail to realize is that the rest of us have it working just fine...yet you are the ONE guy who managed to screw it up.

Perhaps a plain old Tivo is more your speed?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Wow, take it easy, he's just trying to get Sage setup. Its not like his problem is crazy unique, people have trouble with the MVP's all of the time.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 12-07-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Sage Icon

I should be possible to get you MVP unit working correctly, unless you have a bad unit. I had a bad unit that I bought directly from Hauppauge that I returned when the unit would not boot up past the last "bar" on the initial bootup.

The first step is to make sure all the ports needed are open in your router. If you have the computer connected to the Internet, you should have a router, otherwise you are living very dangerously. A router is cheap protection from a lot of junk that can damage your computer.

If you do not open ports, the MVP might work, but will not be reliable. Here are the ports that should be opened:
16867 UDP
16869 UDP
16881 UDP
31100 UDP
31099 TCP

Unplug the MVP power, then plug in the power to cold boot the MVP. When booting up the MVP, you should see five bars scroll across. Then when you see "Press OK within 3 sec", press "OK" on the remote control. On the MVP menu, select "Server Profile" with the remote control "OK" button. You will then see a message "Scanning please wait". The SageTV server name and IP address should be displayed. Press "OK" on the remote control to save the settings. On the MVP menu, select "Go!" and press "OK" on the remote control. You will then see "Loading appplication...". After three squares scroll on the screen, the screen goes blank, then SageTV starts.

The SageTV screen you see should be the same one you would see on your computer. You should then be able to use SageTV.

If you cannot complete the booting process successfully, then you may have a problem with your MVP, assuming you opened the necessary ports.

If you see stuttering when playing back compressed video, such as AVI files, then either you do not have all the necessary ports open in your router, or your computer is too weak. The compressed video has to be transcoded 'on the fly' into MPEG2 format to playback on the MVP. My old Athlon XP 2800+ barely had enough CPU to playback AVI files, consuming nearly 100% CPU constantly.

Java 1.6 was also mentioned. The MVP works better with Java 1.6. The MVP also appears to run even faster with the newer beta version of SageTV.

You may or may not be successful using wireless. One of my units are wireless. I did not use wireless because the wireless MVP can only use the obsolete WEP wireless encryption, which can be broken in less than one minute. I checked with Hauppage, and they had no intention to switch to WPA, which is absolutely required if you want a secure wireless network. To have a secure wireless network, WPA must be secured with a long random password, which is available from https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

You should also post your computer's specifications when you are having a problem, such as CPU, memory, and operating system.

The MVP can work, but you cannot just plug it in out of the box without some tweaking of your network, and sometimes help from the forum.

Dave
Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
I forget starting what version, maybe v5, the server can transcode most popular video formats to the MVP. It can even transcode HD to the MVP. How well this works depends on the speed of your server. For SD, I think a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz and up is needed. For HD transcoding, you need a lot more, like a quad-core.
New that! Why the last word in my post was "Transcoding". If the MVP is limited to MPG-2 then any MPG-1 formats would need to be transcoded and was implying indirectly that may be his problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry59 View Post
Are not dvd's essentially mpg2's?
Yes
Quote:
These play just fine, yet my music vids, funny commercials etc are in both mpg1 and 2 formats and it croaks on both.
Ah! I only saw the mpg1 format specified in your original post not mpg-2. Since it isn't limited to a format that you have to transcode, I have no further ideas.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdoubleo View Post
Perry,

1. Sage is the least of your worries. Stop now and learn some simple tact, along with spelling and grammar. Seriously...if you can't take the time to form your "rant" properly, how are we to assume you've taken adequate care in setting up your system? Given the errors in your post, I can only imagine what your setup must look like. Generally speaking, those who cannot accurately DESCRIBE the problem ARE the problem.

2. Wireless is an intermittent technology. It is for browsing the web on your laptop, not as a full-time platform for video. Wireless only works in the BEST of conditions....and again, if your post is any indication, I'm certain your wireless setup is far from ideal. If one is too lazy to wire one's house (and ALL houses can be wired) one deserves whatever frustration wireless brings.

3. If you want help, there are better ways to ask for it than to ignorantly assume that an entire product line belongs in the toilet. What you fail to realize is that the rest of us have it working just fine...yet you are the ONE guy who managed to screw it up.

Perhaps a plain old Tivo is more your speed?

Now that's what I been waiting for
Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
Now that's what I been waiting for
Yeah, was a little over due, and thank god he didn't screw up his grammar or spelling. His post would have lost all credibility if he had

There was no reason for the rant, simply asking for help would have sufficed.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sixdoubleo
Tact? You’re certainly full of that aren’t you?
As for spelling and grammar, I believe mine are probably better than many I have seen on various forums, and probably much better than most college students that have graduated in the last couple of decades. Sometimes I take the liberty of shortening a few words or phrases, perhaps even using a few non-standard acronyms, but I don’t think anyone has any real trouble understanding what I have written. Occasionally I make a true goof and leave out a vowel, my bad. As for the rest of my system; the three other computers and router that make up the hardware all function just fine. The myriad of software, including my CAD (that’s Computer Aided Drawing for those of you in Sacramento), 3D modeler, license server, MsSql server, Firebird server, MySql server, visual studio, registry tools, etc. etc. all work just fine thank you.
It’s true I could have described the problem in much more detail, including the time of day it happened (in Greenwich standards of course for our international friends) and whether it was high tide or not. I don’t believe that level of detail is necessary at this time. My brief description would be sufficient for someone who has experienced such symptoms to say "hey, that happened to me, this is how I fixed it". Of course that would exclude you, since you do not use any wireless devices. Brevity is a virtue. It’s so fortunate for those of us lacking in literary skills and problem solving techniques that we have a true genius like you to help us out.
Wireless can be frustrating at times, but it is worth it when you don’t have a house full of holes and cat5 cables strung through every room. Nice summer days I like to take my laptop on the porch and still be able to do everything I could in the bedroom or den.
I think you missed my original point altogether, guess you were too involved in searching for spelling errors. You obviously did not search for similar posts. So yours (and everyone else's) is working fine? I thought you did not do wireless? Or, did you mean that I'm the only one foolish enough to attempt to use this wireless device as advertised? Please, give MORE detail. Being that I am the ONLY one, of so many others, surely there must be some lesson to learn here that would then render this marvelous device absolutely perfect and there would be no chance of anyone ever having a problem with it, once my unique situation has been resolved. I feel so lucky to be the ONE that has found the only weak spot on this device which everyone finds so flawless.
Ignorance, everyone is ignorant of one thing or another. I'm a little weak on quantum physics. The ignorance you so well illustrated are making a personal attack on someone you know absolutely nothing about over a seemingly trivial matter (the travesty of a misplaced comma).

Last edited by Opus4; 12-09-2007 at 11:21 PM. Reason: removed certain insults
Old 12-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Since this has become a contest of who can insult who (Who? Whom? Whom carez.), this thread is closed.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Closed Thread