SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 PM

Music Library Problem

Hi, I'm in trial mode. Trying to convince myself to buy.

SageTV 6.2
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2
DirecTV R15 via Composite
XP Pro SP2
P4 3.0GHz
3GB RAM
ATI Radeon 1600 (512MB, PCI)

I'm Importing media libraries from a 500GB drive on a LaCie Ethernet Disk mini.

Adding the video and photo directories works fine if I add them with the "Specify" option ("\\Backup\media\video" and "\\Backup\media\Photo Archives" respectively) The "Browse" option gives me an "Invalid Directory" error when i try to browse down to '\media' but "Specify" works fine. Strange but true.

When I specify "\\Backup\media\Our Music" it takes a minute but eventually shows me a list of all the directories (artist names.) I click "Select Current" and it does so. Next i unselect "Import Videos" and unselect "Import Pictures" leaving only "Import Music" selected, then click "Done - Add the path" and then "Continue."

When I go back to the main menu and then to "Media Center" I'm able to view thumbnails, photos, slideshows etc for the content of the imported music directory and can surf the contents of the video directories (error trying to play videos but i'm assuming that is due to missing codecs and will address that eventually)

However when I go to the Music directory i get this error:

"No music files were found in any of the Media Center Import Directories for Music"

My files are MP3s, the music directory contains 3654 files across 448 folders taking up 28.5GB of space.

Refreshing the imported media seems to not work (though it is hard to tell since the UI seems to give no indication as to when it is done, it just displays the message "SageTV is now scanning the Media Center Import Directories for new/removed files" with an "OK" button. I left it there for 2 hours waiting for a "Done" message and got nothing. finally gave up and clicked "OK".)

I've tried it via "My Network Places" as well as mounting the NAS as a Y:\ drive. The only difference when mounting it as a drive is that while sage does say 'New drive found, what do you want to do' the drive does not show up in the browse dialogue for adding import directories. Also when I try to specify a valid path on the Y drive, or even the root Y:\ it tells me "no such folder, do you want to create" (i haven't been brave or dumb enough to let it try.)

Anyone have any ideas as to why it pretends to add the music dir but then says it is empty when the photo and video dirs on the same device work fine?

Thanks,
Steven
Old 12-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?
Old 12-09-2007, 05:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slshults View Post
I'm able to view thumbnails, photos, slideshows etc for the content of the imported music directory
I assume this is a typo and you really mean the photo directory.

Refresh Imported Media just kicks off a background process on the server. There is no Done message.

Have you checked the permissions on your music directories to make sure your Sage system has access to them? If you're running Sage as a service, you'll need to run the service under an actual user account (not LocalSystem) if you want it to be able to access network shares.

You could try enabling debug logging to see if any errors show up in the log during import. You'll need to Refresh Imported Media again after turning on logging in order to get it to do a rescan.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 PM

thanks for the reply.

yes, that was a typo, i meant to say I'm able to view thumbnails, photos, slideshows etc for the content of the imported pictures directory and can surf the contents of the video directories.

the ownership and permissions of the //backup/media directory are recursive (the music folder has identical perms and ownership as the pictures and video directories which are working.)

sage is running as a service under a username and password matching those of the shares on the NAS and has no problems accessing video and photo content in directories with the same ownership and perms.

thanks for confirming that refreshing media gives no feedback at all as to whether it is working or when it is done. that really surprises me that such a basic element of UI-design-101 was missed there when so much of the rest of the UI is so well done.

thanks for the pointer to how to enable the debug logging Greg. will try it and see what it turns up.

Last edited by slshults; 12-09-2007 at 10:29 PM.