SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:21 AM
Sage Icon

How to enter "server address" w/my dyndns info?

I'm trying to figure out why my new placeshifter setup isn't working via the dyndns (or straight IP addr), but the hostname does work fine.

I've confirmed port-forwarding for 31099 from extranet->correct pc, and windows firewall has that port open on the server, so i'm betting it's something on the client side.

I typed in ivbrules.dyndns.org, and ivbrules.dyndns.org:31099, but they don't work. Am I typing that in right? Do I need to setup anything else?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:51 AM
SageTVaholic

I remember I once had a problem where, for some stupid reason, I couldn't hit my IP address from my IP address, however, it worked externally. I think my router just freaked out that it was getting a packet from itself. Sounds like the same thing could be happening to you.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:46 AM
Sage Icon

It's just Windows refusing to flush the DNS properly. Typing "ipconfig /flushdns" in the command prompt should do it, but for reason, it never works for me. It takes several days for Windows' DNS to update to the correct IP. And rebooting the computer doesn't help either. As a temporary fix, I usually have to edit the "host" file in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\ and add the URL and IP manually, such as:

Quote:
yourURL.dyndns.org 123.123.123.123
After several days, remove this line if the Windows DNS updates to the correct IP.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Off topic, check out http://www.dnsexit.com they offer free dyndns for your domain. So instead of ivbrules.dyndns.org, you can use ivbrules.com if you own it.

Back on topic, some routers don't allow what you are trying to do. Buffalo units don't. My DLink does though. What do you have?

B
Old 12-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Sage Icon

Hmm. I tried all those, nothing worked, which may lead to the point that bcjenkins made. I also tried putting the IP addr directly into the Placeshifter box. I don't have to do the <name>:31099 to specify the port, do I?

I have a Linksys WRT300N (Draft-N) router. The placeshifter configure wizard claimed it set it up correctly, although I did notice no port-forward on 31099 so I did that manually myself. Is that the only port I need to forward, or is there something else?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Sage Icon

In the placeshifter, you only need to type in the IP or domain name, port number is not needed.

If UPNP is supported and enabled on your router, then you don't need to configure any ports for Placeshifter, the router does it automactically.

To test, you can look up your IP address at whatismyip.com and enter the IP numbers into the Placeshifter. It should connect. If it doesn't, then this is a router or firewall problem.

If the IP address number connects, but the dyndns.org address name doesn't, then try to ping the dyndns.org address to see if it matches the IP adress number. In command prompt, type:
Quote:
ping yourname.dyndns.org
It should display the IP number. If it doesn't match your actually IP, then refer to my previous post here.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 12-09-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks to all for the ideas so far, still haven't gotten it working but at least i'm trying stuff.

It seems to be a router/fw issue then. I can connect using the computer name that placeshifter automatically populates, but not via IP or dyndns.

I checked the router:
- UPNP is enabled on the router,

I checked the windows firewall:
- exception for UPNP Framework on the sage server.
- 31099 is added as an exception in the windows firewall via the install

The only thing I can think of is that which evilpenguin mentioned above, and that my router doesn't like this circuituous route. I'll have to find a neighbor who'll loan me his wifi so I can rule that in/out.

Any other ideas would also be helpful.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Your DNS name doesn't resolve for me.

ivbrules.dyndns.org

B
Old 12-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Sage Icon

That was a bogus one done for demo purposes. i'll PM you the correct one.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Connected to the login screen just fine. I would look into putting DD-WRT onto your router.

B
Old 12-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Sage Icon

Interesting on your successful connect, and thanks for checking that out. My neighbor is out so I haven't had a chance to get his WAP key, so I can't check my laptop from his place, but it sounds like that'll work.

For the DD-WRT, do you mean adding the automatic IP updater to dyndns on the router? I actually have the dyndns program running on the SageTV server, it's been working great so far.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Sage Icon

DD-WRT is open source firmaware for some routers, it adds a bunch of higher end functionality but it doesn't work for every model or revision. Do some research before you brick your router.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
Interesting on your successful connect, and thanks for checking that out. My neighbor is out so I haven't had a chance to get his WAP key, so I can't check my laptop from his place, but it sounds like that'll work.

For the DD-WRT, do you mean adding the automatic IP updater to dyndns on the router? I actually have the dyndns program running on the SageTV server, it's been working great so far.
No I mean they make a firmware which I think can load on your router. This will allow you to keep using your router and connect from inside and out.

B

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT300N
Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
No I mean they make a firmware which I think can load on your router. This will allow you to keep using your router and connect from inside and out.

B

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT300N
Before you do all of that, are you a cable modem or a DSL customer? ATT's DSL will not let you send a packet to yourself, regardless of what router you have connected (at least in my experience). I've used a variety of routers, and none of the self-directed traffic will work.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Sage Icon

oho, that's it then. I am indeed an AT&T DSL customer.

Thanks for that pointer, saved me mucho time!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Sage Icon

Ok, it was the AT&T DSL self-referencing thingey. I'm now in the hotel room on vacation, and it connected to the server just fine.

Although admittedly, we're in waikiki, and we're only getting 110-180Kbps throughput, so it looks like crap. Not that big a deal - I brought a completely full 500GB external HD just in case, and this is only really for the kids 6am "go watch TV and please let us sleep a little longer" snooze button. My 6yr old is almost as fast on the default Sage UI as I am...