SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 PM

SageTV HD Media Extender and Digital Cable

I have been getting conflicting info on both the web and from friends. Many sar saying that due to DRM in place or just around the corner recording HD signals from a digital cable box will be impossible with many devices (ie not approved by the tech-illiterate). Confusing since the signal one plugs into is the output side of the cable box right? So the media extender or HTPC would not have to decrypt anything, it's already done so. So a few basic qeustions before investing my cash:

1. Does the media extender work with HD Digital Cable (I sue Time Warner).
2. Anything on the horizon that might affect this?
3. If connected to a cable box and HTPC (which I believe the extender has to be) how does it change channels to record specific shows?

Sorry for the noob questions, my Tivo is starting to act up (3rd unit in 5 years, guess quality is not their gal) and can't see paying those huge costs plus subscription fees and would prefer not getting a stripped down DVR from the cable company. Also would love to play audio over this thing (possibly movies).
Old 12-13-2007, 01:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the Guard View Post
I have been getting conflicting info on both the web and from friends. Many sar saying that due to DRM in place or just around the corner recording HD signals from a digital cable box will be impossible with many devices (ie not approved by the tech-illiterate). Confusing since the signal one plugs into is the output side of the cable box right? So the media extender or HTPC would not have to decrypt anything, it's already done so. So a few basic qeustions before investing my cash:

1. Does the media extender work with HD Digital Cable (I sue Time Warner).
Yes, if you can get the digital signal into your Sage Server, then you can watch it on thye extender.

FOr digital cable, there are only 3 ways to capture in digital.
1. A QAM tuner to capture unscrambled QAM channels. Your digital local broadcast channels and maybe a few others.
2. Using a HD cable box and capturing via the firewire port. YMMV on what channels are available via firewire. SOme cable companies lock down the port via 5C encryption and others leave it open. Others fall between the extremes.
3. Modify a cable box with the R5000-HD mod and get all the channels you pay for. $$$ and requires you to either box a leased box or buy your own box and get the CC to activate on their system (They are required to per FCC rules if it is compatible. No Motorola box on a Scientific Atlanta system or vice-versa.)

Quote:
2. Anything on the horizon that might affect this?
Nothing specificly talked about, but as the analog OTA broadcast stream gets turned on in a couple years, the cable companies may mess around on what they send down the cable. Who knows what DRM may come down the line, and what workarounds may come out in the future.

Quote:
3. If connected to a cable box and HTPC (which I believe the extender has to be) how does it change channels to record specific shows?
If you cable box is hooked up to the Sage Server, then the Sage server manages the cable box completely. It will record stuff according to your wishes, and if you are watching live tv on the extender, the sage server will tune the cable box to the channel you want. If you change channels, the sage server will take care of the channel change for you automatically on the cable box.

Quote:
Sorry for the noob questions, my Tivo is starting to act up (3rd unit in 5 years, guess quality is not their gal) and can't see paying those huge costs plus subscription fees and would prefer not getting a stripped down DVR from the cable company.
DOn't look at Sage as a way to save money. Look at Sage as a way to give you more power over your media life. I've got thousands invested in my Sage system. But it is the way I want it, not the way that Tivo wants me to have it. I'm running low on storage space, add more Hard drive space (1.3TB for recordings and 1.25TB for videos and music). Too many shows on and I can't record them all, add more tuners (I've got 8). Want to watch my stuff in another room, add in another client (either a full PC running SageClient or with an SD or HDextender). Want to watch my stuff somewhere else; friends house, work, vacation (fire up the Placeshifter client on the laptop anywhere in the world you have broadband.)

Quote:
Also would love to play audio over this thing (possibly movies).
Not a problem at all. Sage will let you do audio, movies, and even pictures.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:05 AM

Thanks for the good info Jack. I guess the key will be how I get he signal in. Worst case scenario could I use the component/HDMI/S-video hookup that would normally go from the cable box to the TV? I would assume that anything with a tuner card could plug into that right? So another approach would be to attach a PC directly to it that way and run Sage on it (already have a backup computer in the same room).
Old 12-13-2007, 07:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the Guard View Post
...could I use the component/HDMI/S-video hookup that would normally go from the cable box to the TV?
S-video = YES, component/HDMI = NO. And the S-video will be a down converted SDTV capture not HDTV. The only ways to capture HDTV are the ones Jack mentioned.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Benny,

I want to warn you right now that SageTV is not for the average Tivo user. To replace an HD Tivo, you will need above average PC skills, patience in setting up your system, and the interest in a new hobby that can take lots of time and $$$.

To get a basic SageTV setup working on an existing PC with 1 or 2 Standard Definition tuners from your digital cable is fairly simple and I'm sure you can work out how to do that. Getting HD on your system with a dedicated Video Server is a bit harder and more expensive requiring HD tuners, knowledge of non e-QAM (non encrypted digital cable) , OTA (over the air antenna), creativity, firewire, interest in modding cable boxes, and general PC tinkering out of the league of many folks. If you know how to build a PC from a collection of parts, I think you may be fine with Sage, if you can't, then I would go buy a new HD Tivo for $300 because you won't save any money trying to use SageTV.

If you are prepared and want the ultimate configuration of distributed TV, then SageTV can help you get there.