SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD Extender interface performance and video resolution

When I set up the extender yesterday, I didn't want to take the time to pull out my TV, so I connected it up to the side composite jacks. Since I was using the composite output, there was no option to set up the HD resolutions, so everything was being displayed in 480i. While I knew I was having a general problem with the IR reception (covered in another thread), I was also having issues with the responsiveness of the interface. Based on posts I had been reading I was really surprised with how slow the interface seemed to be overall, and how there was a noticeable intermittent lag in key presses and the interface responding.

Today I decided to move the connection to the component jacks. As soon as I did that and set up the resolutions my TV would support as only 720p and 1080i, I found that the entire interface was snappier! It seemed that the extender could process the keys I was pressing almost as fast as I could press them.

I decided to test this out, and moved the connection back to the composite ports, rebooted the extender, and sure enough the interface seemed sluggish once more. Once again I changed back to the component connection, selected only 720p and 1080i, rebooted, and there is that snappy happy interface.

Has anyone else noticed something this, am I just losing my mind, or is there a logical reason for this (the extender is happier/faster in 720p or 1080i)?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ditto - my Extender is actually running in the basement to a front projector. To get the update for the firmware I had to carry it upstairs, plug it into an old TV near my office PC and set it off.

The difference was noticeable - not god awful, but a tad annoying.

Cheers

Mark
Old 12-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator

I'm curious: if you are using the default STV, did either of you select a high resolution theme while using the svideo or composite connection? That might slow things down.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Good Question - Yes I was still setup to use an HD output with the stock sage HD STV - I hadn't got round to putting SageMC on that point (My FP is 720P, so the 1'st thing I did was set the output to Component).

Again - it was annoying, but it worked, I never tried moving back to all SD to see if it was snappier.

Cheers

Mark
Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quick question. Does the HD-100 send out both HD signals via component AND SD signals via composite at the same time? I know the FAQ sections says it will output over both (composite and component) when set for SD, but doesn't specificially say if it will send out HD over component and SD over composite at the same time.

This thread seems to indicate that it will send out both HD and SD although there is a penalty in responsiveness.

Is this correct? If so, has Sage put out any update in the last few months that might help with the sluggishness?

Thanks for the help!

Brian