SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Sage Expert

HDMI on HD extender = lots of white and green dashes

My HD extender has looked awesome through component on my Pioneer Pro 710-HD RPTV; however, while testing the DTS issue I'm having, I connected it to my Panasonic plasma with HDMI via a DVI adapter. The Adapter is a $32 Monster adapter and the DVI cable is the same one I've used with my PC client for a couple of years.

With the adapter and HDMI output from the HD extender I get a lot of white and green dashes flashing across the picture.

Since there is no DVI output on the extender I cannot eliminate the adapter, but I'm doubting it is the issue.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Sage Icon

It's got to be either your cables or your TV - since HDMI is working here just fine. I use a $60 HDMI cable from Bestbuy.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would agree.

I've been buying cables & adapters from this place for years.

They really know their stuff & their prices & return policy are unbeatable...

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/index.htm

They also have some excellent info on HDMI & other cables...

- Bruce
Server: Intel DH55HC MB, Intel Core i5-661 CPU, 4 GB Corsair PC3 10666 RAM, 2 Ceton InfiniTV 4s (Comcast), RocketRAID 2740 16PORT SAS 6.0Gb Controller, 2.56TB TV Storage (4 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb Drives), 8.5TB Movie Storage, Norco 4220 Case, Corsair HX750 PS, W7 Professional (Windows Media Center), TunerSalad Foot Long, My Channel Logos, & MYMovies.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Sage Expert

I don't understand how it could be the cable or TV since both work flawlessly with a PC client? I'm watching the same show now with the client and the same cable and there are no issues.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would be inclined to suspect the cable, rather than the TV.

Different qualities of output can effect how a cable behaves & just because a particular cable or adapter works for 1 situation does not mean it will work in another.

Also, just because a cable or adapter costs a lot does not mean it is better.

Check out the articles on Blue Jeans Site on HDMI cables. They have excellent info about HDMI in general & how the signal is effected by both cable & connectors.

To give you an example:

I have a friend who was getting "green sparklies" on his brand new Sharp Aquos & he "Knew for a fact" it was not his $120 Monster HDMI cable.

Then I put him onto Blue Jeans & he ordered one of their $37.00 9 foot Series 1 HDMI cables & guess what?? Perfect Picture. So I cant say for sure that the cable is your problem, But I know that they know their stuff, their stuff works & is Very reasonably priced.

- Bruce
Server: Intel DH55HC MB, Intel Core i5-661 CPU, 4 GB Corsair PC3 10666 RAM, 2 Ceton InfiniTV 4s (Comcast), RocketRAID 2740 16PORT SAS 6.0Gb Controller, 2.56TB TV Storage (4 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb Drives), 8.5TB Movie Storage, Norco 4220 Case, Corsair HX750 PS, W7 Professional (Windows Media Center), TunerSalad Foot Long, My Channel Logos, & MYMovies.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I don't understand how it could be the cable or TV since both work flawlessly with a PC client? I'm watching the same show now with the client and the same cable and there are no issues.
My guess is that the extender is 'pickier' about the cables. I would simply get a different cable from a store that allows returns. See what happens.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
My guess is that the extender is 'pickier' about the cables. I would simply get a different cable from a store that allows returns. See what happens.
I'd have hoped I could straight replace the client with the extender without chasing cable issues, but based on the feedback here, I'm suspecting that the extender is pickier and will not work with the 25' DVI cable I'm using (the TV does not have an HDMI input). I found a 6' DVI cable late last night and will try it tonight. It is not a long term solution since I cannot put the extender that close to the TV (unless they fix the IR problems, then I could mount it behind the dresser), but it would provide another data point.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Sage Icon

What about component?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

The very first time I powered on the Extender I noticed white sparklies using my Monoprice HDMI cable. Once I set the UI resolutions to 720P and 1080i the sparklies went away and I never see them except maybe briefly when I power down and power back up. I think the HDMI connection needs some refining but I really don't think it's related to the cable itself.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
What about component?
The extender works fine using component on my living room TV, but the Panasonic in the bedroom does not have component inputs it has BNC inputs which I have never used. To try it I'd have to get cables that have component connectors on one end and BNC on the other (difinitely my backup plan if I cannot get the digital connection working well).
Old 12-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have had problems with the HDMI on two different TVs. I think that the HD Extender is just finicky with the HDMI. I saw no problems with the component. My one tv refueses to accept 480i from the extender, and my other tv on occasion has problems with 1080i. 1080p has always had artifacts, little colored dots all over the screen.

I am using a brand new monoprice 1.3a 3' HDMI cable.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post
The very first time I powered on the Extender I noticed white sparklies using my Monoprice HDMI cable. Once I set the UI resolutions to 720P and 1080i the sparklies went away and I never see them except maybe briefly when I power down and power back up. I think the HDMI connection needs some refining but I really don't think it's related to the cable itself.
I've already set the output to 720P. I hope they do some refining for this as well as the DTS that does not work with either of my denon recievers. In the mean time I'm going to evaluate as much as I can using cables I already own. I'm pretty sure I can solve this one, but the DTS problem is a show stopper since I cannot fall back to analog for that.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
I have had problems with the HDMI on two different TVs. I think that the HD Extender is just finicky with the HDMI. I saw no problems with the component. My one tv refueses to accept 480i from the extender, and my other tv on occasion has problems with 1080i. 1080p has always had artifacts, little colored dots all over the screen.

I am using a brand new monoprice 1.3a 3' HDMI cable.
I have sent this issue to sage support since I do believe the HDMI output from the extender is a bit finicky.

I'd guess sage's goal is for the extender to be plug and play and able to replace client pc's. So, I'd think they would want to know. I'd suggest you send your feedback to support.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Sage User

Well .. I had the same thing at 1080P with a $30 cable from Fry's ... I ordered a cable 1.3a from monoprice. If that still gives me issues I will have to contact Sage for a RMA

The component output to my TV works fine .. but HDMI is very flacky at 1080p. It almost seems that the connector itself is bad since slightly moving the HDMI connection at the back of the HD extender causes HUGE artifacts and stuff.

Will have to see ...

Basset
Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by basset View Post
It almost seems that the connector itself is bad since slightly moving the HDMI connection at the back of the HD extender causes HUGE artifacts and stuff.
I'm seeing the same thing.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Sage Expert

I just got a new HDMI cable from monoprice...and I get a fullscreen green screen...

So, if I wiggle the HDMI cable on the extender, I might get a picture?

Gary Ellis
Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Sage Expert

I don't know. I never got a full green screen.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis View Post
I just got a new HDMI cable from monoprice...and I get a fullscreen green screen...

So, if I wiggle the HDMI cable on the extender, I might get a picture?

Gary Ellis
Ehhm no ... I think that might be settings related, but who knows. Does it work at low resolutions ? If it is the first time you connect the HDMI, you might want to turn the power switch off and on to get you back into the settings page so you can set it do HDMI as the display if you haven't done that yet

But who knows .. give it a wiggle Like my grandpa used to say .. if it ain't working yet, you haven't applied enough Newtons

Basset
Old 12-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Sage Expert

I changed settings to HDMI and thats when I got the green screen..I rebooted both TV and extender several times.. I also reset the extender to Svideo and it works fine..I connnected Component cables and it works fine...Then I changed again to HDMI and got a green screen again..

Gary Ellis
Old 12-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Sage User

Ok, just got my brand spanking new HDMI cable from monoprice to see if the screen speckles and lines go away ...

Hooked it up 480p fine 720p fine 1080i fine ... 1080p exact same issue as with the previous cable I got from Fry's.

I am now convinced this isn't a cable or TV issue, component at 1080p works fine, just HDMI at 1080p has artifacts on the screen. The seem to come and go, but are mostly there on a system startup and during video playback.

Wiggling the HDMI cable on the back of the HD Extender makes it worse or better or gone more a short time. Seems to be a connection / grounding problem ??

Time to open a support ticket!
Basset