SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-19-2004, 11:31 PM
Sage Icon

How do you WAF map remote buttons for both SageTV & TheaterTek/other DVD player?

Trying to figure out the best way to map remote buttons for SageTV and TT. I can map SageTV to use the same play/pause/exit/etc buttons as TT, but I'll still have to pick a target in Girder. Right now I'm using 2 different buttons - very un-WAF.

I was thinking about "overloading" Girder by creating a multi-group command that sent the same command to both SageTV and TT, then I thought about trying to determine which was in Foreground. As both of these sound PITA and questionable, I thought I'd ask around before starting down the path.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi

First what remote are you using? if it is the hauppauge one it is easy, i can attach the .ini file.

Second what software are you using, appart from tt and sagetv?

Dan
Old 01-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

I use girder to control Sage, Zoomplayer, and myHTPC. Basically I have separate groups for each program. Each group is active only when that program is being used. That way the command is only sent to the appropriate program.

My girder file is a little messy, but it works great. My wife is now happier than before I set up the HTPC (a big accomplishment - as she didn't like it for the first few months)

If you are interested I can post the girder file when I get home.

Andrew
Old 01-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

I do the same as andrew, using myhtpc each menu item is actually executing a girder event call which enables one group at a time. That way i use the same number, playback and arrow buttons for all the different apps.

i control:

myhtpc
sagetv
media center
zoomplayer
jvc vcr

via that method
Old 01-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Sage Icon

I didn't realize you could make a group active. I use myHTPC to call either TheaterTek or SageTV, but I just have all the commands in a flat single group. Obviously that meant I had to either set commands the same or some other thing.

If I could break up the commands into seperate groups then have myHTPC or [??] make the group active based on which program was launched, that would be awesome. How do you do that? Does myHTPC launch a girder command, then TT?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

IVB,

its very easy. Lets take your example and say you have 3 apps you want to control

myHTPC,SageTv and TheaterTek

In Girder, you can organize your GML like this:

*Applications
*myHTPC
*Menu Items
$Launch SageTV
$Launch Theatertek
-Up
-Down
-Enter
-(etc....)

*SageTV
-Up
-Down
-Enter
-(etc....)
-Back to myHTPC

*TheaterTek
-Up
-Down
-Enter
-(etc....)
-Back to myHTPC

*= Folder
- = Command/Multigroup
$= Girder Event

Then assign your remote buttons to each command (noted with the "-") I assign a single remote button to always take me back to myHTPC (ill explain this a little later, but for clarity you can, for example assign the power button on your remote to the "Back to myHTPC" command)

I also create a folder in myHTPC that corresponds with your menu items in myHTPC, so in this example we have 2 items: Launch SageTV and Launch Theatertek. These 2 commands will enable and disable the folders for each particular group and start that app. For example: When you run the Launch SageTV command it will Disable the myHTPC folder (so it will no longer the buttons assigned to it) and enable the SageTV group, then wake sage to full screen. (You dont have to worry about TheaterTek because you should save your GML to only have myHTPC enabled at startup) Now you only have one Active Folder ; SageTV, to get back to myHTPC you now press your Power Button (or whatever button you assigned it to) to sleep sage, disable the SageTV group and enable the myHTPC group.

And do the exact same thing with the Launch TheaterTek command, except make the changes so it enables the TheaterTek group etc, etc...

Now to use these commands through myHTPC you need to assign them a Girder Event. So for "Launch SageTV" you will need to change the dropdown box to the left of the learn event button in girder from All to Girder event, press learn, a dialog box will popup in the top box type in the name you want to call this event "SAGE" repeat this for the "Launch TheaterTek" command but call it "TT"

Bring up myHTPC configuration add two "Programs" buttons (one to launch SageTV, one to launch TheaterTek) choose executeable for the command type. and execute the event.exe located in the girder dir, for example "C:\Program Files\girder32\event.exe"

under parameters put this "SAGE -silent"

add your starting directory, for my example its "C:\Program Files\girder32"

so what you have is a button on myHTPC that executes the girder event.exe that passes the parameter to run the Girder Event called SAGE, do the same for TT and your set.

Now youve got a machine that will give you complete control over what remote buttons to use with each app and you have a main menu button that will always close whatever app your in and return to myHTPC.

this is actually very simplified. i have girder controlling seemingly everything on my system. I hope that wasnt overkill for what you were asking. Let me know if you have any questions, i'd be happy to clear up anything confusing.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:04 AM
Sage Icon

thanks for the info; still trying to get it all setup. no questions at this time, but may have some. I only have a small window post-kids go to bed, pre-bedtime to do all this work during the week, so maybe this weekend I"ll be able to finish it up.