SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Sage Icon

MVP HELP

I'm a trial user trying to connect my MVP (didn't buy from sage). I get Failed to locate GUI server.

I don't have MVP service running. I don't have software firewall on my XP computer. My router firewall, I THINK I enabled ports UDP 16867-16881 and 31100 and TCP 31099.

Under detailed setup / server, I have sage tv server, media exterder and placeshiter server both enabled.

I guess the 1st question, Can I connect trial with MVP?
Is there a way to see which IP address is on MVP or set up static?
Is there some other tests can be done?
Or just point me in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
I'm a trial user trying to connect my MVP (didn't buy from sage). I get Failed to locate GUI server.

I don't have MVP service running. I don't have software firewall on my XP computer. My router firewall, I THINK I enabled ports UDP 16867-16881 and 31100 and TCP 31099.

Under detailed setup / server, I have sage tv server, media exterder and placeshiter server both enabled.

I guess the 1st question, Can I connect trial with MVP?
Is there a way to see which IP address is on MVP or set up static?
Is there some other tests can be done?
Or just point me in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch.
The trial will allow you to connect.
If you go into your Router there should be a way to see all connected devices and the IP they are using. You would need to use the MAC address of the MVP in your router to assign a static IP.
Make sure your router or something is doing DHCP.
Since your server and MVP is on the LAN just make sure the firewall is actually off on your server. Router firewall shouldn't matter in this instance. (It will with Placeshifter and accessing it externally.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

I don't remember opening any ports on my firewall... no need for it to go outside your firewall.

Are you positive you are running the Sage software on the MVP? Don't run the built in Hauppauge software.

Also, I needed to restart the service on my server before the MVPs would connect to it.

Hope it helps...
Old 01-06-2008, 12:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
I don't have software firewall on my XP computer.
Windows Firewall is enabled by default on XP. Are you saying you've disabled it? Or just that you don't have any additional firewall software?

Try re-running the SageTV installer and checking the checkbox that says "Configure Windows Firewall for SageTV" (or words to that effect).
Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Windows Firewall is enabled by default on XP. Are you saying you've disabled it? Or just that you don't have any additional firewall software?

Try re-running the SageTV installer and checking the checkbox that says "Configure Windows Firewall for SageTV" (or words to that effect).
Yes, I disabled it in XP. I don't have anyother firewall software.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
I don't remember opening any ports on my firewall... no need for it to go outside your firewall.

Are you positive you are running the Sage software on the MVP? Don't run the built in Hauppauge software.

Also, I needed to restart the service on my server before the MVPs would connect to it.

Hope it helps...
I'll try to restart the computer and start from scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
The trial will allow you to connect.
If you go into your Router there should be a way to see all connected devices and the IP they are using. You would need to use the MAC address of the MVP in your router to assign a static IP.
Make sure your router or something is doing DHCP.
Since your server and MVP is on the LAN just make sure the firewall is actually off on your server. Router firewall shouldn't matter in this instance. (It will with Placeshifter and accessing it externally.)

Gerry
The way I have my house setup is 2 switches connected to a router. I know I can see my media computer from the MVP but somehow SAGE not responding to it. Maybe I need to try to set up a static IP address through MAC addressing. Another thing I may try is to hook the MVP directly to the router.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Sage Icon

You may need to set one or both of these parameters in the properties file.

miniserver/forced_server_ip=
miniserver/gateway=
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks guys. I found out I was running other UUNP services, WM11 in background, roxio, MCE stuff. did a msconfig and stopped those services and connected both MVP without a hitch. Thanks again.