SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Imported Video's aren't showing the far left and right side of picture

I have a lot of movies on my hard drive and they play fine on my server, but when I'm viewing them on my MVP, the right side and left side is cut off a little bit. This is mainly a problem when text is displayed on the movie saying a location and part of the name is cut off. I don't have this problem from what I can tell from recordings.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Sage Icon

Sounds like an aspect ratio issue. While the file is playing, press the option key and try the different aspect ratio options. If none are correct, choose the one that matches the file type and then move to the settings and adjust until it fits. There is also an STVi that will allow automatic aspect ratio changes.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
SageTVaholic

I think this is an overscan issue. I noticed regular TV recordings seem to have the left and right sides cut off a bit more than normal on my HD extender. While watching the primary results come in tonight I kept seeing Hillary had ",123" votes. I actually think that the left side is getting cut off quite a bit more than the right. Or, maybe CNN is just screwing up by putting stuff too close to the outside edges. In any case, I suspect setting up a custom aspect ratio mode would fix the problem. I know this is a little difficult with the HD extender. I never tried to do it on the MVP.

Last edited by reggie14; 01-08-2008 at 11:05 PM. Reason: I just noticed you have an MVP rather than an HD extender
Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK, so I figured out why I can't see the sides, but still don't know how to fix it. The movies that I'm watching have a letter box on my server, but when viewed from the media extender, you can't see the letter box. It appears the media extender automatically zooms in to make the movie full screen. How do I make the video display the letter box. Once again, I don't have this problem with live tv. For example, if the show has a letter box view, I see the letter box.

Thanks in advanced for the help.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Sage User

hello,

just dusting off this old post by saying that the same problem happens to me.

LiveTV works great but imported movies get cut off on the right and left sides.
I tryied everything i could from hard coding the aspect ratio into my mvp profile to unregister all codecs that doubled with the one needed for a peticular movie. I fool around with the codec to force the aspect ratio,
I also checked all my graph on my server and they looked good to me.
But, i came to the conclusion that the transcoder on the server side don't bother checking these settings while passing the flux to the MVP!

I finally managed to find a dirty fix: it was to switch my MVP aspect ratio from 16x9 to 4x3 and set my TV to the zoom mode. This removed the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen and let me watch a somewhat descent looking movie just missing a tinny bit of picture on the sides.
The movie was a MPEG4-Video 19:8 608x256@25fps

Of course this can't be a solution as it requieres too many steps and my folks won't ever do those.

I now see that there is an STVi that will allow automatic aspect ratio changes but while reading Nielm's post I saw that it doesn't work on imported shows.

So I hope SageTV is still looking into this early 2006 bug and never been fixed (to my knowledge). One more thing to add: I'm using a PAL (european) MVP.

Thanks for any help you could give me!

Regards,

Cortechs.
. - XP Pro SP3 - DX 9.0c - JRE 1.6 - SageTV 7.1.2.249
. - Cyberlink Video & Audio Decoder (PowerDVD 7)
Plugins: MyTheatre DVB Network Encoder Plugin - XMLTV Import Tool from StephaneM - Comskip Playback
STV: Dynamic Menu Import 6.2
Clients: 4 MVP wired on GigaEthernet network