SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Sage User

Need Help with my build

Currently we have HD Dishnetwork PVR and wish to go to a sage tv setup

What we have

OTA ATSC digital attenna (we just purchased)
2x Dual Core Opteron 940's on Tyan Server Motherboard (built in shitty graphics)
Case and Powersupply & 2 gigs of ram
Planning on running centos64 (have quite a bit of experience with it)

What we want to do is have the server in the room, and use like the hdextender by our tv set and when we get more tv sets add another one there and have a PVR type setup. We will not be having cable/sattelite tv so now QAM card needed.

So I'm assuming I will need:

HDextender
SageTV
ATSC digital capture card (I've heard the Kworld 110 is a good buy - newegg only has the 115 and the 120 though)

What I'm unsure of is if I need 2 capture cards and maybe a splitter from our roof mounted digital attenna? We like to watch one show while recording another and pause, fastforward and the like - and I'm assuming that would mean the 2 capture cards.

I'm assuming that we don't need anything more for our TV side of things, as the HDextender provides the frontend, sound and remote.

The last question I have is if we put the DVD in the server, will we be able to watch it via the HDextender?

Placeshifter is the frontend for a computer from what I've read, and I'm assuming that the HDextender replaces that and can do fast forward/pause/menu/etc.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zervun View Post

HDextender
SageTV
ATSC digital capture card (I've heard the Kworld 110 is a good buy - newegg only has the 115 and the 120 though)
Any capture card with DVB driver should work. Check linuxtv.org for current DVB cards.
You will also needs lots of storage space.

Quote:
What I'm unsure of is if I need 2 capture cards and maybe a splitter from our roof mounted digital attenna? We like to watch one show while recording another and pause, fastforward and the like - and I'm assuming that would
mean the 2 capture cards.
You can watch any number of recorded programs without need for a capture card. Capture card is only to record. So, multiple capture cards will enable you to record multiple shows that are in the same time slots. Depending on what you want to record, you may be able to get by with one card, but I'd think two would cover most conflicts.

Quote:
I'm assuming that we don't need anything more for our TV side of things, as the HDextender provides the frontend, sound and remote.
Correct. However, HD-100 is currently out of stock. Sage told me that they are expecting a shipment in Feb.

Quote:
The last question I have is if we put the DVD in the server, will we be able to watch it via the HDextender?
This is one thing you can't do. MVP or HD externder or Placeshifter do not play DVDs. I've heard that MVP and HD extender can play ripped DVDs on the hard drive, but not the actual discs.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:43 AM
Sage User

I can confirm that the MVP (SD extender) plays unencrypted DVDs stored on the hard drive and gives full support for menus etc..., I'm guessing this is the case for the HD extender too. Just place the unencrypted DVD directory structure in a sub folder of one of the video import folders (by default /var/media/videos/).

Neil
Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Sage Icon

DVD playback works fine.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Sage User

thanks guys, alot of help

question - I have a HD OTA antenna I just bought with amplifier, can I just split it with a splitter to two different DVB cards - so that if one is recording, the other can play? (two shows at the same time)

also I know that storage is a big debate -

for my wife and I we pretty much watch all HD shows, record about maybe 1 - 3 a day, but watch them within a day or two - we never have more than lets say 12 - 14 shows recorded at once

would a 500GB drive be out of the picture for that?
Old 01-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

You should be able to use a splitter if the signal strengths are decent. If not, you can buy an amplifier/splitter for 20-30 bucks.

With 500GB you should be able to record at least 50 hours of HD, may be more.
Sarat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zervun View Post
thanks guys, alot of help

question - I have a HD OTA antenna I just bought with amplifier, can I just split it with a splitter to two different DVB cards - so that if one is recording, the other can play? (two shows at the same time)

also I know that storage is a big debate -

for my wife and I we pretty much watch all HD shows, record about maybe 1 - 3 a day, but watch them within a day or two - we never have more than lets say 12 - 14 shows recorded at once

would a 500GB drive be out of the picture for that?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Sage User

Be careful about which address space you install. Sage does not like 64bit. As long as you can guarantee a 32bit version of java and (I think) 32bit ivtv drivers , mad, faad2, etc. you will probably be OK. If you can't, then stick with a 32bit version of CentOS.

-jason
Old 03-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggie View Post
Be careful about which address space you install. Sage does not like 64bit. As long as you can guarantee a 32bit version of java and (I think) 32bit ivtv drivers , mad, faad2, etc. you will probably be OK. If you can't, then stick with a 32bit version of CentOS.

-jason
Thanks for the replies - thats a bummer about 64 bit, as I run 3 different centos 64 bit servers.