SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Live TV skips when a new show "starts"

I have been noticing that if I am watching a show live that it skips or pauses for a second when the next show following it starts. So if im watching Show A on the Channel 1 and Show B is about to start, it pauses for a split second and the screen goes black right as the new show is about to start. The transition is not seemless.

What is more frustrating is this: on ESPN shows arent starting on time because games are running over the schedule. Tonight for example, I paused the tail end of SportsCenter at 12:15. NFL Live is actually scheduled for 12-12:20, but SportsCenter was running behind. I took my dog out and then came back and sat down to watch what I was hoping would be paused live TV of NFL Live. Well, I hit play and sportcenter was still on, so I hit the fast forward button a few times. I hit it one too many times and jumped into what was recorded starting at 12:40 (College Basketball Tonight). I realized I jumped too far and when I went to rewind, it would only go back to 12:40 and not 12:15 when I paused TV. This is extremely frustrating. While I understand that pausing live TV is still recording, I think its absolutely stupid that I cant jump back to when I pressed pause vs. when the show is scheduled to start. Is there a setting or workaround for this that i am missing?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 AM
SageTVaholic

That one-second hiccup happens as Sage closes the file on the previous show and opens a new file for the next show. Except for timed recordings, Sage always records each show to a separate file.

This is also why you can't back up into the previous show. Because each show is a separate file, when you run off the end of one show and into the next, you're playing back a new file, and you can back up only as far as the beginning of that file.

(Note that by "each show" I mean "each show as listed in the EPG". If a show runs over its scheduled EPG timeslot, Sage has no way of knowing that and must assume that a new show has started.)

Conceivably an add-on could be created that could notice when you've backed up to the beginning of a show, check to see if there's a recording of the previous show available, open that file, seek to the end, and continue backing up from there. But I don't know of any existing add-on that does this.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

I cant believe that no one has created a add-in or that SageTV hasnt released a fix/patch. Being able to pause Live TV and come back later to watch it is the most basic function of a DVR. If I skip ahead, I should be able to go back and watch it from the second i hit pause, not the beginning of a show as defined in the EPG.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Fastrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
I cant believe that no one has created a add-in or that SageTV hasnt released a fix/patch. Being able to pause Live TV and come back later to watch it is the most basic function of a DVR. If I skip ahead, I should be able to go back and watch it from the second i hit pause, not the beginning of a show as defined in the EPG.

Right but remember if you've paused the timeline will not advance and you will resume at the same place and be able to skip backwards to the beginning of the show - while SageTV continues to record on that same channel until you press play
Tuners: HDHomeRun v1, Hauppauge HVR1600
Video: BenQ W5000 1080p, ASUS ATI 6670
Storage (10TB): Seagate 2TB, Hitachi Coolspin 2TB x 4 Data Drives + 2TB x 2 Parity Drives using FlexRaid 2.0 (RAID6 T2+)
SageTV: 7.1.9 Final ?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Sage User

Their is a setting that controls this functionality. I can't recall the name of the option but its allows you to keep the recordings of shows that start/stop while your paused. By default only the paused show and the current show are kept.

I'm at work so I can't check for the actual option.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Fastrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan92rttt View Post
Their is a setting that controls this functionality. I can't recall the name of the option but its allows you to keep the recordings of shows that start/stop while your paused. By default only the paused show and the current show are kept.

I'm at work so I can't check for the actual option.
Your probably speaking of Detailed Setup -> Advanced -> "Delete Live TV files when not using Intelligent Recording"
Tuners: HDHomeRun v1, Hauppauge HVR1600
Video: BenQ W5000 1080p, ASUS ATI 6670
Storage (10TB): Seagate 2TB, Hitachi Coolspin 2TB x 4 Data Drives + 2TB x 2 Parity Drives using FlexRaid 2.0 (RAID6 T2+)
SageTV: 7.1.9 Final ?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Sage User

That is the only thing that looks close. Maybe what I'm remembering was a "feature" of v4. I am sure I remember having to delete a bunch of shows when ever I left it paused over night.