SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
MY MVP Not Working In 6.3

Hello all. It's been a while since I tinkered with Sage.
Upgraded from 5.04 today to 6.3 and I must say I am impressed.
The upgrade went without a hitch except for the issue in my title.
When I load up my MVP's they both boot to black. Were working fine prior to the upgrade and sage still has the 2 licenses as showup up as valid.

Any clues how to get them working??
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia View Post
Hello all. It's been a while since I tinkered with Sage.
Upgraded from 5.04 today to 6.3 and I must say I am impressed.
The upgrade went without a hitch except for the issue in my title.
When I load up my MVP's they both boot to black. Were working fine prior to the upgrade and sage still has the 2 licenses as showup up as valid.

Any clues how to get them working??
Check to see if you are still on the old STV on your MVP's. Either edit the MVP properties files or delete them to let Sage Start fresh. Also a possibility is that you need to unplug your MVP's for a while and then plug them back in to download from the Sage Server the 6.3 MVP.bin file.

All I've got.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Sage Expert

Yes before posting, I deleted all contents of the CLIENTS folder.
How long do you recommend I should leave them unplugged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Check to see if you are still on the old STV on your MVP's. Either edit the MVP properties files or delete them to let Sage Start fresh. Also a possibility is that you need to unplug your MVP's for a while and then plug them back in to download from the Sage Server the 6.3 MVP.bin file.

All I've got.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 01-26-2008, 08:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes before posting, I deleted all contents of the CLIENTS folder.
How long do you recommend I should leave them unplugged?
I've always done this for about a minute or less. I've seen recommendations in other posts of times of 15 minutes I think.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Sage Icon

I use 5 minutes for a wired MVP and 1 hour for a wireless one. I used a minute or less until I saw that it did not work for my wireless MVP.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks. I'll give it a try in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
I use 5 minutes for a wired MVP and 1 hour for a wireless one. I used a minute or less until I saw that it did not work for my wireless MVP.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Sage Expert

Both of my MVP's are wired and I unplugged for a half hour and still no change. Goes to blank screen. I upgraded from version 5.04 and did the upgrade to 6.3. Any other suggestions? If the problem is some trailing files from v 5.04 causing the issue where should I look? I already deleted the clients directory.

Quote:
Old 01-27-2008, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

One other thought I had was a firewall issue on your server. When you upgraded did you let Sage set the firewall settings? You might try turning off all firewalls on the server and see if that works.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Sage Expert

Nope. No firewall installed ever. Box is wide open. Nothing is even recreated in the CLIENTS folder after deleting the contents from when it was 5.04.

Quote:
One other thought I had was a firewall issue on your server. When you upgraded did you let Sage set the firewall settings? You might try turning off all firewalls on the server and see if that works.

Last edited by cmaffia; 01-27-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Nope. No firewall installed ever. Box is wide open. Nothing is even recreated in the CLIENTS folder after deleting the contents from when it was 5.04.
That tells me that your MVP is not connecting to your server which could have been the firewall but you have ruled that out. Check out your network is the MVP getting an IP address from your DHCP server? Does your server have two NIC's? Can you use the property that forces the MVP mini client to a specific IP address?

That whole thread might help with other ideas as well.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 01-27-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks Bob

My MVP can still can connect to my 5.04 server box without a problem.
When I shut down the 5.04 server and try to use the 6.3 server, the MVP's do not work. Therefore the MVP's are getting an IP address. I believe the problem lies with the upgraded 6.3 software. I don't think there is anything wrong with the computer because prior to upgrading this box, the MVP connected fine to it too.

After reading some other posts, when I get home from work I am going to power down all routers and switches including the MPV's and servers and leave them off for a bit and see what happens when I try connecting to 6.3 again.

Quote:
That tells me that your MVP is not connecting to your server which could have been the firewall but you have ruled that out. Check out your network is the MVP getting an IP address from your DHCP server? Does your server have two NIC's? Can you use the property that forces the MVP mini client to a specific IP address?

That whole thread might help with other ideas as well.

Last edited by cmaffia; 01-28-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Sage Expert

Rebooted the whole network. Cleared out all IP leases.
Shut down all MVP's and Server for 20 minutes

Same thing.. MVP goes to black on 6.3. DHCP scope shows it gets a new IP address and I can ping it the whole time the screen is black.

Shut off 6.3 server and booted 5.04 server and MVP's load on first try.

Quote:
Thanks Bob

My MVP can still can connect to my 5.04 server box without a problem.
When I shut down the 5.04 server and try to use the 6.3 server, the MVP's do not work. Therefore the MVP's are getting an IP address. I believe the problem lies with the upgraded 6.3 software. I don't think there is anything wrong with the computer because prior to upgrading this box, the MVP connected fine to it too.

After reading some other posts, when I get home from work I am going to power down all routers and switches including the MPV's and servers and leave them off for a bit and see what happens when I try connecting to 6.3 again.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Sage Icon

It might be due to the animation added in version 6. See http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...89&postcount=1 for more information.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Sage Expert

Is that a known bug that the animation needs to be turned off for MVP???

Quote:
It might be due to the animation added in version 6. See http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...89&postcount=1 for more information.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Sage Icon

I doubt if it is a problem for everyone. It probably just applies to users with older and slower systems. I suggested that it be turned off by default here http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=28327
I think their response was
Core animation system is enabled by default
The above was included in the 6.3.4 beta announcement
Old 01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Is that a known bug that the animation needs to be turned off for MVP???
Animations aren't enabled on an MVP regardless of the animation setting, because the core animation system can't be used on an MVP. If disabling the animation property helps, then you should let SageTV know because it shouldn't have any effect on an MVP... but from your above posts, you don't even have a properties file being created for the MVP, so there isn't anything to disable.

It sounds like you aren't even getting it to connect to the server & see no message that it is connecting to SageTV or anything else, is that correct? You should probably contact SageTV tect support.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Sage Expert

Yep that's exactly it in a nutshell. Incidently SageClient 6.3 connects fine without problems. I went one step further and did a fresh install of 6.3 on my laptop and the MVP's connect without a problem. This problem now points to the upgraded 5.04 to 6.3 installation. I requested support yesterday. Still haven't heard anything. Let's see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Animations aren't enabled on an MVP regardless of the animation setting, because the core animation system can't be used on an MVP. If disabling the animation property helps, then you should let SageTV know because it shouldn't have any effect on an MVP... but from your above posts, you don't even have a properties file being created for the MVP, so there isn't anything to disable.

It sounds like you aren't even getting it to connect to the server & see no message that it is connecting to SageTV or anything else, is that correct? You should probably contact SageTV tect support.

- Andy

Last edited by cmaffia; 01-28-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:44 AM
SageTVaholic

You may want to delete your sage.properties file on the server and let your 6.3 installation create it and reconfigure it if that is just an updated 5.04 file from your install. Sometimes there may be left over settings that may conflict with the newer version.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Sage Expert

Ugh. That's exactly what I was thinking last night. Defeats the purpose and convenience of upgrading from a previous version. I'll back up my exisitng properties file and give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
You may want to delete your sage.properties file on the server and let your 6.3 installation create it and reconfigure it if that is just an updated 5.04 file from your install. Sometimes there may be left over settings that may conflict with the newer version.

Gerry
Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ugh. That's exactly what I was thinking last night. Defeats the purpose and convenience of upgrading from a previous version. I'll back up my exisitng properties file and give it a shot.
It does-but you're coming from an old version and there's been a lot of changes. (I know - some people still run ver 2 and ver 4.) That's all I can think of.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.