SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

DVD Library Step by step?

I've looked all over, and tried different things, and I can never seem to get it to work, so now I'm asking for some hand holding. I'm sure it will benefit others as well.

I'm trying to get some form of DVD library working properly (album art, actor list, rating, genre, etc.). Ultimately, I'd love it if it would do an IMDB import or something all by itself (something like BTV DVD Library plugin), but I could live with having some human intervention. I've tried SageMC 16x9 and can't seem to get it to work (not to mention I'm not a huge fan of the interface). I've even purchased DVD Profiler with hopes of getting that to interface, with no luck.

So, my request for somebody more informed than I, is to crate a hand holding step by step guide for incorporating one or more of these tools. If there is more than one way to do this sucessfully, if somebody can do this with each way, it'll be the most useful for everybody.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm surprised you couldn't get the MC DVD stuff to work.

Here's what I do:
- rip the DVD using VOBs (video_ts folder, etc). I don't bother compressing.
- move it to my Sage PC into a special folder for DVDs
- In Sage, configure your media library to scan your DVDs folder (which will get all the subfolders)
- Now that the movie is in Sage (in your Videos section), open it. Hit the escape button (if on PC) or Options (yellow) on remote. Tell it to search IMDB, and it will pull back image, details, etc.
- Tell it to save it.

Done

Manual, but I only really rip my kids DVDs, or movies that my wife and I are going to watch later that night. I don't keep our entire video library on HD - only takes a few minutes to rip it and I dont want our movies over and over and over again that I need it instantly accessible. A few minutes to rip it isn't that much.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
Here's what I do:
- rip the DVD using VOBs (video_ts folder, etc). I don't bother compressing.
- In Sage, configure your media library to scan your DVDs folder (which will get all the subfolders)
- Now that the movie is in Sage (in your Videos section), open it. Hit the escape button (if on PC) or Options (yellow) on remote. Tell it to search IMDB, and it will pull back image, details, etc.
- Tell it to save it.

Done
Thanks! I'll give that a shot though I don't really care for the Sage MC look/feel. Does this need to be done at each location (i.e. each client) or just the server?

Also, maybe I should ask what is being done about bonus discs? What file arcitecture does each solution need? Ultimately I'd like select for instance "Harry potter Sorcerers Stone" then choose "Movie Disc" or "Bonus Disc" or something... but how does it work for you?

Anybody else with other solutions?

Last edited by gmijackso; 02-13-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

For additional discs, I just add them as such (ie. Sopranos Season 5 disc 3). It can be done at any location (any MVP, Extender or at the server) and the changes propogate.

My wife favored the MC interface, so that's what we use

I've created some custom lists (Kids, Adults, Series, etc) and I sort my discs into these lists. Makes it real easy to find them.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Sage User

what makes this folder special? can it be any folder

how do you do this...

thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyonic View Post

what makes this folder special? can it be any folder

how do you do this...

thanks
Just create a folder named DVDs on the storage drive of your choice.
In that folder put your DVD rips within their own folder named for the DVD it contains.
Go into Setup->Detailed Setup->General->Media Center Import Directories and add your DVDs folder.

This method works for the regular Sage STV or SageMC.

Last edited by Apap; 02-13-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Sage User

ok thanks... i did that.. now how can i watch my movie, where would it be?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyonic View Post
ok thanks... i did that.. now how can i watch my movie, where would it be?
You can find it in Media Center->Videos

This is all covered in the Sagetv Manual.
It's a wonderful document.

Read it.

Sage Manual

Last edited by Apap; 02-13-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Sage User

i could not figure it out, i had no media center -> videos option...

turns out my version of sage 6 did not have any of those options for dvd playback, i just upgraded to 6.3 a whole new ball game... everything works

thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

If I can't find it in IMDB, then how do I manually enter the info?
Is there a properties file or ini file that I can add the info manually?
Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

if it searches IMDB and can't find it, hit options again when it has the list of wrong movies showing (options = escape on PC or yellow on default remote). This gives you an option of typing in a title to search. (above is true in MC, not sure about default).

I know you can put a DVD jacket picture in Sage by putting the picture in the video_ts folder (used to need to be called folder.jpg but I'm not sure it does anymore). I'm not sure about typing in the details... seems to me MC has a button titled "edit movie info" or something like that.