SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

HD Extenders and (License-free) HD-DVD Files

I'll be the first to admit that I'm terrible when it comes to understanding the different coding formats (e.g. mpeg2 vs mpeg4 vs h.264, etc.) so bear with me and these questions.

Can I rip a license-free HD-DVD to my hard drive in the same VIDEO_TS format that I rip license-free DVDs and have the HD100 be able to play it? Or, do I need to rip it/transcode it to some other format and if so, what format would that be?

So, just like I can navigate to a ripped license-free DVD and play it through the extender, can I do the same thing with a ripped license-free HD-DVD?

Thanks,

Mitch
Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Not exactly straight forward

Mitch G,
As I am seeing it, "Ripping" an HD DVD staright result in a file structure (.evo) that SageTV canNOT navigate. The workaround that you alluded to is to convert the resulting .evo into something Sage can deal with (some sort of AVI in any number of containers). As you start to convert your files, you will have to deal with the keeping the bitrate manageable for the HD extender. I have heard that 25mb seems to be the upper limit, but have not proved this myself.

Here's a link with some remux info: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29015

DQ
Headless Backend AMD 5050e (XP Pro), 4G Memory, 3TB, storage, Sage 6.5, R5000, 2 HD PVR, CFI ESATA enclosure (3 TB), UNRAID server with ~26TB and growing 3 HD300 extenders and 1 HD200 cranking away over Gigabit ethernet
Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ahhh. OK. I didn't realize references to EVO are references related to HD-DVD.
Thanks that answers my question and thanks for the link.

Mitch
Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM
SageTVaholic

The extender doesn't understand the logical structure of HD DVD though (menus etc), so they don't work like DVDs do.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

That's ok about the menus.
If I can copy just the video parts and have it be basically as good picture-quality wise as the original, I'll be happy.

Mitch
Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Sage Icon

Too bad it's pretty much a dead format now, with all the major players dropping support for it (even Microsoft has dropped it for the Xbox 360, and as far as I know within the next few months, no new releases from the major title holders for movies). I was just about " close to getting into HD-DVD, glad I waited now, just have to wait till I can get a decent-priced BluRay drive for my PC..
Old 02-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

I assume the same issues apply to Blu-ray... the file format isn't native so it would have to run through some conversion algorithms?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

"Supposedly" the extender can deal with m2ts, which is the native BD container for audio/video. But yes, the same is true of BD menus.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
"Supposedly" the extender can deal with m2ts, which is the native BD container for audio/video. But yes, the same is true of BD menus.
Interesting ?!?! Tell us more.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Sage Expert

I've been working on the m2ts for a while as I went HD DVD a year ago and so have stand alone players for those disks.

So far no luck with straight m2ts files. I can get them seen by sage and the extender and the extender displays a thumbnail that's clearly extracted from inside the file, but when I hit play nothing happens. I've come across one method of converting to a TS file that is fairly striaght forward and that results in a file that extender will play, but it's very, very choppy, so unwatchable.

Trying to avoid transcoding which takes hours at is likely to have some quality issues, but not sure that's going to work out so I've been trying to transcode, but there's no easy/reliable process for that, that I've found so far.

I just ordered my 2nd extender (other then this issue they are awesome) and that will make it easier to test as the other one is in the bedroom, upstairs, with the wife.

Please share if you get it working anyone.

thanks
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)