SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Connecting an HD100 Extender to a VGA Monitor

So...have some parts lying around and I was trying to get an extender to connect to a standard VGA monitor.

I have an HDMI to DVI adapter... I also have what appears to be a DVI to VGA adapter. Plugged 'em all in, but no joy. I'm not totally surprised because I'm pretty sure DVI is digital and VGA is analog, so I really don't know what this little adapter is for.

Regardless...what's the best way to go about doing this?

Is there a way to get Component to VGA easy/cheap?

I have an old TV I could use component on, but it's crappy compared to the monitor...so I'd rather use it. <shrug>

Thanks for any thoughts!
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 03-01-2008, 01:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
I have an HDMI to DVI adapter... I also have what appears to be a DVI to VGA adapter. Plugged 'em all in, but no joy. I'm not totally surprised because I'm pretty sure DVI is digital and VGA is analog, so I really don't know what this little adapter is for.
This is sort of a guess, but I think the DVI to VGA adapters really just change the physical connection. The actual digital to analog conversion takes place on the video card. The extender isn't set up to do that conversion, which is why your adapters don't work. I'm not entirely sure about that.

It looks like component to VGA adapters are relatively expensive, so I don't know if there are any good options for you.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

DVI specifies handling of analog signals in the DVI-A and the (most common) DVI-I variants. The little adapter you have probably came with a video card. It is indeed just to change the plug type for analog signaling.

Google or go to Wikipedia for details.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

It is important to note that your video source controls which of the signals (digital or analog) are available. If it's a DVI-I (I=integrated) source, then you can pull either digital or analog off of it. A DVI-D (D=Digital) source cannot supply an analog signal. I'm not sure if the extender is DVI-D or DVI-I
Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM
SageTVaholic

The extender is HDMI. I think you'd need a transcoder for Component-VGA.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes DVI comes in 3 varients: DVI-A (analog), DVI-D (Digital) and DVI-I (both). Most video cards come with DVI-I ports that are capable of both and so all the DVI to VGA adapters do is take the analog portion of the DVI-I port and convert it to the 15 pin VGA port. HDMI is solely digital and so when you use an HDMI to DVI converter, it converts the HDMI port to a DVI-D port (digital only). So no you can't do an HDMI to DVI to VGA adapter and hook a VGA only capable monitor to it. However, if you have a monitor with DVI, you could do HDMI to DVI since that is all digital....

P.S. As Stanger said, the only option you have for converting component to VGA is a transcoder and they are usually about 100 bucks (last I checked). You are better off finding a hot deal on a monitor with DVI.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter

Last edited by paulbeers; 03-02-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I'll likely find a cheap deal on a DVI monitor as that seems the best route for me!
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total