SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation hdmi audio from HD extender to 28" LCD HANNS HG281DPB

I purchased 28" LCD monitor with HDMI audio HANNS HG281DPB from http://www.hannsg.com/us/
I did setup monitor to have HDMI Audio source and HD extender have HDMI audio output but nothing heared.... any advice?

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 03-09-2008, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you sure this can do audio in via HDMI? I don't own it, but I didn't see anything in the manual stating this could actually be accomplished. I didn't spend a lot of time looking so I may have missed it.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Are you sure this can do audio in via HDMI? I don't own it, but I didn't see anything in the manual stating this could actually be accomplished. I didn't spend a lot of time looking so I may have missed it.
From Monitor Menu - it's show supported.

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 03-09-2008, 06:24 PM
SageTVaholic

See if setting the audio on the extender to S/PDIF will make your HDMI audio work.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
See if setting the audio on the extender to S/PDIF will make your HDMI audio work.
tested, same problem.
also i have a problem when I press Power button on remote control, Sage HD Extender is start sleep(disappears picture from the screen) but Monitor still powered (blue light is on). only when I switch power on/off button on rare panel of Sage HD Extender then only Monitor is go to sleep (yellow light is on) - please advice.

Last edited by bjkiller; 03-09-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkiller View Post
tested, same problem.
also i have a problem when I press Power button on remote control, Sage HD Extender is start sleep(disappears picture from the screen) but Monitor still powered (blue light is on). only when I switch power on/off button on rare panel of Sage HD Extender then only Monitor is go to sleep (yellow light is on) - please advice.
If it isn't working with the SPDIF selected, then it doesn't work on your monitor. Just because there is a setting, doesn't mean it actually works. I went back and still couldn't find anything that states that it can accept audio via HDMI. Everything states to use the 3.5mm to L/R AV cord OR the 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cables. This is technically a computer monitor, so therefore it may not have been designed to be used as a television input (the HDMI connection may have just been used for space savings). This is also why you are seeing the light issue. It probably doesn't understand the standby power state of the HD Extender.

The only way you can verify all of this is to use another HDMI device, but I have a feeling you will get the same results.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-10-2008, 05:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
If it isn't working with the SPDIF selected, then it doesn't work on your monitor. Just because there is a setting, doesn't mean it actually works. I went back and still couldn't find anything that states that it can accept audio via HDMI. Everything states to use the 3.5mm to L/R AV cord OR the 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cables. This is technically a computer monitor, so therefore it may not have been designed to be used as a television input (the HDMI connection may have just been used for space savings). This is also why you are seeing the light issue. It probably doesn't understand the standby power state of the HD Extender.

The only way you can verify all of this is to use another HDMI device, but I have a feeling you will get the same results.
http://www.amazon.com/Hanns-G-HG281D.../dp/B000TJV9KW

The monitor has built in speakers that can be driven either by HDMI (if you hookup a DVD player for instance) or via a separate audio input. The monitor also has audio out, so you can connect better speakers (the built-in ones face backwards as they are on the backside of the monitor, so they have poor projection). They are ok for casual movie watching though.

in 2 days i will get SAT BOX with HDMI output so i will able to test audio of the monitor.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Hanns-G-HG281D.../dp/B000TJV9KW

The monitor has built in speakers that can be driven either by HDMI (if you hookup a DVD player for instance) or via a separate audio input. The monitor also has audio out, so you can connect better speakers (the built-in ones face backwards as they are on the backside of the monitor, so they have poor projection). They are ok for casual movie watching though.

in 2 days i will get SAT BOX with HDMI output so i will able to test audio of the monitor.

You will have to let us know how that works out. It appears that what you are quoting there is the same person who has posted it through out the net on various review forums, but never actually states s/he is using it this way.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
You will have to let us know how that works out. It appears that what you are quoting there is the same person who has posted it through out the net on various review forums, but never actually states s/he is using it this way.
I got the SAT BOX with HDMI output, the above monitor support audio over HDMI. I see 1080i movie and hear audio via HDMI.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I got the SAT BOX with HDMI output, the above monitor support audio over HDMI. I see 1080i movie and hear audio via HDMI.
Well at least it works for your cable box!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
Well at least it works for your cable box!
Any way to fix it?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Any way to fix it?
Mine worke out of the box hooked via HDMI. As long as the audio setting on the HD100 is set to either SPDIF or HDMI, you should get audio out of it. For what you want, it probably should be on HDMI (since I THINK that only passes 2 audio channels).....

I should mention that the only one I have hooked via HDMI is hooked into an Onkyo TX-SR605 (where it acts as a switch) and then on to my Big screen so I haven't tried HDMI directly to a tv...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question

Quote:
Mine worke out of the box hooked via HDMI. As long as the audio setting on the HD100 is set to either SPDIF or HDMI, you should get audio out of it. For what you want, it probably should be on HDMI (since I THINK that only passes 2 audio channels).....

I should mention that the only one I have hooked via HDMI is hooked into an Onkyo TX-SR605 (where it acts as a switch) and then on to my Big screen so I haven't tried HDMI directly to a tv...
When you power off your SageTV HD Extender - do your TV SET recoginize it and put him self into sleep mode?

Old 03-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Are you using the lastest HD100 firmware? There were some HDMI issues fixed between firmware revisions.
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 03-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD View Post
Are you using the lastest HD100 firmware? There were some HDMI issues fixed between firmware revisions.
yes, latest. there no DTS decoding.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just read the manual

http://america.hannsg.net/filectrl/HG281_UM_EN.pdf

I never got the impression digital audio was supported? All connection diagrams use an analog cable.

This unit will definitely not decode DTS streams.
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD View Post
I just read the manual

http://america.hannsg.net/filectrl/HG281_UM_EN.pdf

I never got the impression digital audio was supported? All connection diagrams use an analog cable.

This unit will definitely not decode DTS streams.
I connected this Monitor to my digital SAT BOX via HDMI, and it's play audio - no problem.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question

Somebody can advice how to test with LPCM and AC3 streams via HDMI audio?
When I play Mp3 files witch stream go out LPCM?

Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

it's fixed with latest beta of HD Extender firmware...
now waiting to server DTS decoder....

Old 06-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33111

I was unable to get HDMI or Stereo working on the extender - even running the latest beta.

The fact you were able to tells me to send it back.

Cheers

Mark