SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Sage User

Can't page through mkv file

I've got movies I've ripped with Handbrake 0.9.2 using these parameters...

-e x264 -b 2000 -B 192

They work great on my HTPC and they look & sound great on my extender but I can't skip through them on the extender. If I try to skip it always goes back to the start. That also means if I start watching a movie on the HTPC and stop it & go to the extender is starts over. Is there some parameter I should use to get them to work properly? If I specify no parameters Handbrake creates an MP4 file and it works fine on both the extender & the HTPC but the quality is obviously worse.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Sage User

I switched to a preset (Deux Six Quatre), tried a single chapter. With that I have some ability to move through the film, albeit a bit weird in its reaction. But the quality of the picture is amazing. I'm going to rip a movie with this preset and see how big it is and how well it behaves on the extender. My main machine for ripping is pretty fast, looks like it's doing it at an average of 160fps, so it shouldn't take much time.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:37 PM
SageTVaholic

If you're encoding the video directly to a Sage import path, it will try and import it while the video is encoding. This can cause a few different types of problems, one of which is the timeline of the video will be completely messed up (shows 00:00 for duration).

However, if your compressing the video to a seperate path and then moving it into an import location, then this isn't your problem and then you can ignore this post
Old 03-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Sage User

Nope, it's encoded on another machine and then copied to the Sage server. And it works fine when viewed on the server. It's only on the extender that I can't skip through the file. I think I'll be fine with the preset I've chosen. The 2nd pass is much slower then the first (about 32fps vs. 180fps) but all in all it will take a couple of hours to rip and the quality is great.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Check the FAQ, Handbrake doesn't create proper MKV files:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...567#post257567
Old 03-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Sage User

Thanks a bunch. That worked fantastic. That cleaned up all of the problems I was having with the Deux Six Quatre preset.