SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Sage User

Did you do a fresh/clean install of SP1 before attempting any installation of SageTV?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Sage Icon

Was a fresh install of Vista RTM, then an install of SP1 RC1, Sage install, then uninstalled SP1 RC when RTM came out on Connect, then installed SP1 RTM, THEN upgraded to the latest Sage 6.3.10 when it was released. There are several other updates in there (both Vista updates, and driver updates).

I AM thinking of setting up a slave-Sage server with the PVR2000 boards in it, as the drivers from the manufacturer don't seem to work with the hardware encoder in Sage, but I have alternate drivers from Microsoft that do work just fine in hardware mode on those boards. It's not a Sage problem, more a Leadtek problem with their Vista drivers.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Sage User

It would be easy to believe it is something wrong with a driver or perhaps even a hardware problem, but why is it the problem didn't start to occur until AFTER SageTV was installed?

I guess the proof in the pudding will be uninstalling SageTV and seeing if the problem goes away. I will keep you advised.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Sage User

Yup, definitely something to do with SageTV. I uninstall it, the problem goes away. I reinstall it, the problem returns. No SageTV, computer runs without a hitch.

I completely uninstalled SageTV, did a fresh download, so no one could say I didn't have the latest version or something was corrupt (although there's no MD5 or the likes so I can't be sure), reinstalled and the problem came back.

So, I'd definitely say the problem is directly tied to SageTV.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:43 AM
SageTVaholic

If you're loading Sage on a Vista machine that has Media Center you need to stop all the Media Center services. Those services will take over any installed tuner hardware and fight over it's use. Just like any other media software on the market you need to choose one or the other to run and if it is Sage you need to disable all those services. And the ehtray process also because if you have a VMC remote pressing the green button will try to start the media center services again. Search the forum for more info.

Gerr
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Sage User

Turning off media center seems to have stopped the error messages. Thanks.

Still disappointed with SageTV.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Sage Icon

The information about turning off the Media Center is in several places on the forums here, just not 'officially' from Sage. And SP1 has only been out a couple weeks, I'd say give them time to come up with 'fixes' for anything else that's wrong with SP1 and their software (although like I said, I didn't stop any services on my box, I just never started them in the first place, and I'm not using my machine as a playback machine, just the server to several clients (6, sometimes 7). Hell, I even has 12 tuners attached to my server (although only 4 boards are physically in the machine, accounting for 6 total tuners, then there's the HDHomerun, and 4 DVB-S tuners). If anybody was going to have major problems, I'd figure it was me, lol.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:50 AM
Sage User

Media Center is on by default. I didn't turn it on. I knew about turning it off before SP1 (I've had Vista off and on since the mid betas), but still was hoping the install took care of everything - call me lazy, expecting it to work out of the box. And, the fact that SageTV has nothing official yet, is proof that support leaves something to be desired. There should have been something in an 'official' way on the site starting with Vista pre SP1. Heck, how long would it have taken to say, "Really doesn't work right, but can be fudged if you follow these directions?" Why should anyone have to go to the forums when it's a well known issue? Really, why? The truth (probably) is they were afraid it would scare off potential customers, or they didn't care.