SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Sage User

HD Media Extender - non-responsive at menu

I just got my HD Media Extender set up over a wireless-N network. Everything is dandy at first: it recognizes my server and connects to it. However, once it's connected, that's it. It simply sits at the main menu. I can't select anything, or even move to a different option. However, the Extender is responsive if I want to turn it off, and has the right time displayed, meaning that's it's clearly connected to the server at least in some sense.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Does the sage.properties file on your server have ui/rc_mappings/<command name> lines?

If so, exit SageTV on your server, then edit sage.properties to remove all the ui/rc_mappings lines, and restart SageTV.

If you need those lines in sage.properties in order to use a remote on the server & you are not using service mode, then you could copy all the ui/rc_mappings lines from the RemoteClients.properties.defaults file (found in the same dir as SageTV.exe) to the extender's properties file -- found in the "clients" subfolder using a name of <extender mac address>.properties.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the quick reply.

There were no ui/rc_mappings/<command name> lines in the sage.properties file on my server.

My extender's properties file has no ui/rc_mappings lines in it either. It's about 10 lines long. It reads:

#Sage Preferences
#Fri Mar 28 23:49:14 PDT 2008
osd_rendering_height_ntsc=540
osd_rendering_width=960
rc5_disable=false
ui/accelerated_rendering=false
ui/animation/background_surface_name=BG
ui/animation/preferred_scrolling_surface=Foreground
ui/force_full_ui_rendering=false
ui/scaling_insets_base_height=480
ui/scaling_insets_base_width=720
zzz=true
Old 03-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFraser View Post
I just got my HD Media Extender set up over a wireless-N network. Everything is dandy at first: it recognizes my server and connects to it. However, once it's connected, that's it. It simply sits at the main menu. I can't select anything, or even move to a different option. However, the Extender is responsive if I want to turn it off, and has the right time displayed, meaning that's it's clearly connected to the server at least in some sense.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
The power button is responsive because it is handled locally on the extender itself. The wireless-N network is causing most of the slowdown. You should hook it up wired and then configure it properly by turning off animation and insuring you have acceptable speed. Then go back to wireless, I think your skips will still be slow compared to a wired connection.
You can try adding the following line to the extender properties file to turn off animation but I am not sure if it is enough:
ui/animation/core_enabled=false
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

I would certainly check out a wired connection to get it set up. I'm not going to say not to try changing the animation setting, of course, but I don't think the animation setting would do anything because the issue is not a slowdown in how fast the UI responds; it is a complete lack of response to any input at all, at least according to the description.

Several things to look at: What version of SageTV are you using on the server? It should be at least v6.3.5. Have you checked the firewall ports for using an extender? Does the time on the Main Menu get updated?

In the past, a lack of response to the remote was caused by the remote's codes not being assigned to any commands, so that's why I was starting there. Is there a RemoteClients.properties.defaults file in the same directory as SageTV.exe & does it have the ui/rc_mappings lines? The first one of those lines should be:
ui/rc_mappings/0=14208,14272,6016,6080,1397643529,2146466815,5888,

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.