SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:52 AM
Sage Icon

How do you configure the user it connects as?

John
Old 05-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
How do you configure the user it connects as?
You just create a Placeshifter user as you normally would... if you haven't done that, then go to Detailed Setup -> Server -> Manage Placeshifter Users.

When logging in from the HD100, there are on-screen instructions for switching to NTE entry mode. You may want to set up a Placeshifter user that is easy to log in with when using the remote's number pad for NTE.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

How to upgrade STX-HD100 Firmware?

I rebooted my STX-HD100 after upgrading to 6.4.2, and it comes up fine. However, the firmware version is "20080204 0", which I suspect isn't the "Latest & Greatest".

I pressed "Check for Updates" at that point, and it said that "no update is available".

How can I update the firmware?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Administrator

The first line of the first post of this topic has a link to info about how to get the beta firmware.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry, Opus - I tried looking for a link, and the two postings linked back to each other. I didn't read the whole posting ('cause I'm stoopid ).

Typing '2382' did the trick.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You just create a Placeshifter user as you normally would...
When logging in from the HD100, there are on-screen instructions for switching to NTE entry mode.
I have a bit more of a "basic" problem. I can no longer connect from any Placeshifter client. Don't quite know what I did to break that, but it explains why I wasn't getting to the point of logging in on the extender.

John
Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Sage Icon

It doesn't connect using domain names like the Placeshifter does, it only connects with IP or Locator ID. Is there a reason why domain names don't work?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 AM
SageTVaholic

That was stated as being a bug in the first post. There was a new firmware update last night so maybe the fix is in it.

B
Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

On a long weekend visiting the parents and brought my HD Extender along. Fired up the Placeshifting feature today. It is VERY nice! I kept repeating to my wife and mom "can you believe how freaking cool this is??". They were impressed, but obviously not as impressed as I was.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have just tried this. All connected very well but it seems that video is not being compressed to get out of my home network as it usually would when using a normal Placeshifter client. I know where the settings are for bandwidth for a normal placeshifter client but cant find them for the HDX - am I missing something here?

Thanks!
T
Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Apparently if you have a high speed internet connection the server won't try and transcode to the HD100 under the default settings. Support had me set the following value in my Sage.Properties file to get the placeshifting transcoding working correctly:

Quote:
miniplayer/min_bandwidth_for_no_transcode=10000000

I think the default value is 2000000
Old 06-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

With the latest firmware update, can we now use URLs to connect to the HDME instead of IP addresses?

If so, what is the format I need to use for the URL? I tried last night, but it didn't seem to work. Maybe it is still not fixed ...
Old 06-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razillian View Post
Apparently if you have a high speed internet connection the server won't try and transcode to the HD100 under the default settings. Support had me set the following value in my Sage.Properties file to get the placeshifting transcoding working correctly:

This worked - Thanks!
T
Old 06-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

Out of curiousity.. what outbound bandwidth has been used with this setup succesfully? I have a standard DSL line, 1.5 down and 768 up.. So I'd connect to the server remotely and get at best 768, but in all liklihood I'd get something slower for the rate coming back to the extender...

Would any modification be needed for that setup??
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
Out of curiousity.. what outbound bandwidth has been used with this setup succesfully? I have a standard DSL line, 1.5 down and 768 up.. So I'd connect to the server remotely and get at best 768, but in all liklihood I'd get something slower for the rate coming back to the extender...

Would any modification be needed for that setup??
I don't think you would need to modify your properties file for that bandwidth, only if you are consistently getting over 2MB speeds would be my guess. I was hitting over 4MB, so it was trying to send the data without transcoding first.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:35 PM
SageTVaholic

what should it be set to for a 15mb upload?

B
Old 06-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I don't think you would need to modify your properties file for that bandwidth, only if you are consistently getting over 2MB speeds would be my guess. I was hitting over 4MB, so it was trying to send the data without transcoding first.
OH, okay.. So the server still transcodes the stream before it sends to the extender when the extender is being used as a placeshifter? I guess I was hoping that the bandwidth would be enough to send it without transcoding seeing as the extender can do the decoding itself.. guess that stream must be too big for such a slow upload speed.. Thank you DSL
Old 06-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
what should it be set to for a 15mb upload?

B
If I am not mistaken the correct setting for that is:

Quote:
miniplayer/bandwidth_overkill_i_am_jealous=true

What kind of connection are you getting a 15mb upload on? Nice...
With HD running around 26mb, I would guess a setting at 26000000 should cover transcoding any HD content, and if anyone happens to have a 26mb pipe, then they really wouldn't need to transcode.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 PM
SageTVaholic

FiOS - And I didn't even go for the 20 dn/ 20 up..

B
Old 06-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
Nice! I was actually just putting together a post last week asking why the STX-1000 couldn't already do this, but I stopped cause I thought people would think it was a stupid idea.

I'm sure going to get some strange looks going through airport security with my STX-1000 in my carry-on
I may start work traveling alot soon. They can make a smaller version (http://www.sonicspike.net/pictures/albums/74/show/2) Why is there allot of room left inside???

BTW, I just ordered one for the living room. Currently have a small shuttle but but keep running into issues. This should correct them.