SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Sage User

Placeshifter file download (How?...)

I've upgraded my server and placeshifter client to 6.4.2. I've set my placeshifter settings to allow file access, but prompt for upload/download.

So now how do I actually use this? I've tried right clicking on shows, looking at options and just generally noodling around in placeshifter but i haven't seen a file download option. I noticed that the placeshifter install doesn't put a .PDF manual in the install directory.

Where can I read about how to use this new feature (that I'm very excited to try by the way!!).
Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Check out the new menu: Media Center -> Browse Media Files.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have tried to set up Download/Upload myself. I’m only having success with Upload from Placeshifter to my server. If I try and download any file to my local system I get the following message every time “Result: ‘File not found.’” Have I missed something in the set up?

I would also like to know on 6.4.2 has the option to copy files to the Media Library from a folder on the server and vice versa been removed like you could do on 6.3.xxx or is this hidden somewhere else?

On a side note. Is this new feature in readiness for the STX-HD100 to be able to plug in and external USB pen/HD and copy file to and from it I wonder?

Dean
Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post
I would also like to know on 6.4.2 has the option to copy files to the Media Library from a folder on the server and vice versa been removed like you could do on 6.3.xxx or is this hidden somewhere else?
Think I found the answer to this one

Dean
Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Regarding the 'File not found' error: I can reproduce that & it is being looked into, thanks.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Sage User

I'm dissappointed because this feature doesn't seem to be what I'd hoped it was (if it worked). It appears that this is just an alternative to something like ftp for downloading video to your placeshifter client. I write this, not to whine, but in hopes of getting an audience that may be able to give me what i want

Here is what I really want (and I would think others). Right now I can set a cache size for placeshifter, and it caches the streamed audio/video to my laptop. However it apparently doesn't create a downloaded file because i can't rewind, and a number of conditions can cause me to lose this cached stream and have to start over. I want placeshifter to actually stream to a local file that I can watch, FF & RW; then delete when I'm done. In placeshifter I would love to be able to be able to right click a show and choose "stream to local copy", then move through my recordings and queue up another.

For me placeshifter is a client to use when i travel. Generally speaking this puts me in low bandwidth situations where downloading a multiple GB file is not helpful. I can see throughput vary in the same hotel room from a few KB to several hundred KB per second just depending on what other guests are doing on the shared broadband. I hate to watch horrible quality video. So I will frequently fire up the laptop, connect to sage, start caching a show then come back in 20 minutes to wach it. This allows placeshifter be to set at a much higher quality bitrate than most hotel broadband links provide. This caching feature is useful, but flawed. I love placeshifter, please don't think I don't......BUT

Not being able to rewind if I miss something (or for sports) want to watch something over is frustrating.

It is also frustrating when I fast forward, or comskip forward, and placeshifter looses all of the cache (which happens pretty often). Then i have to start over caching.

It is also frustrating that when I can see that I already have the last 10 minutes or so of the show I'm watching cached and I know that I 'could' already be downloading the next show i'm going to watch if the client had this feature. Instead at the end of the current program i have to start the waiting over again while I start caching a new show.

This feature, properly implemented, would allow me to queue up my evening of entertainment; then go pick up dinner to bring back to my room and enjoy with my selected shows in fairly consistent quality with the same ability for FF/RW as at home. It would be great.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Update for this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Regarding the 'File not found' error: I can reproduce that & it is being looked into, thanks.
This was fixed & will be in the next version.

- Andy
Old 05-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

I second barko's post since I'm in the same situation and would like PS to work that way as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:56 AM
Sage Icon

Third Barko's request. The ability to save Placeshifter's cache will be god-send for people who uses Placeshifter a lot.

It's the same problem with the Online Video feeds in Online Services. So they give you a bunch of RSS feeds to watch and listen, but no way of downloading them. Then they implement a way to save the file, but you have to wait till the file is completely downloaded, then you can save it. There's no automated process, WTF? It doesn't make sense since the whole PVR concept is automated recordings of content.

It's not that they can't do it, it's just the features are half-@ss done. I don't think there's any technical barriers, so hopefully they can speed up the developments of the other half of the features that are obviously missing in SageTV.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

I want to check out this file upload/download and play local files, but I can't seem to find the options either. I put the beta on my server just to be sure, and selected the sagetv v3.xml again, but I don't see any extra options in media center. ? I've gotta be doing something stupid?

Cory
Old 05-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Sage Icon

There's no extra options, it's the same Browse Media Files option, it's just they improved it.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

I go into browse local files, and I only see my same old drives (local to the server). I was under the impression there was more somehow? ie: play local (placeshifter) files?

Cory
Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Sage Icon

Go into the Placeshifter Settings, the window where you choose the server to connect, and turn on Local Filesystem Security to "Allow ...."

Old 05-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

It was/is set. What am I supposed to be seeing in browse files ... Im guessing something indicating local drives?

Cory

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the install (for who knows why) didn't ACTUALLY update sage, so Im sure thats my problem. thanks

Last edited by bluenote; 05-20-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Sage Icon

Yes, "Browse the Local Filesystem". If the you don't see it, then I don't know why. I think the server needs to be using the latest beta also, not just the client.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Setup wasnt actually updating my sage server installation, Im guessing something barfed the first time I tried to install over top. Anyways, its all corrected and the server is reporting the correct version, and I can see the new browse files. (Thanks Maya)

Now!! Where's this play local files option? Because if I messed around these past few hours just to be able to copy files to the server and then transcode them back to me, I'm really disappointed. I want to play my avi files that are local on the machine, locally. ? Is that not what the release notes say??

Cory
Old 05-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

I fixed the release notes -- Placeshifter can upload/download files while connected to a server, but it cannot play local files. The server has to have access to the file for Placeshifter to play it.

- Andy
Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

it would make an awesome feature if you ask me!