SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

STX HD100 and playback of video files and recordings

Greetings all,

I know this is a really basic question and this has been addressed before, but I have seen some contradicting information ...

When the HD100 access a file, either a video file such as a DVD folder or a Sage recording, does it access the file directly from the saved location (an unRAID NAS server for instance) or does it have to be processed by the Sage server. So, does the file travel directly from the storage location to the HD100, or does it travel from the storage location, to the Sage server and then to the HD100 ?

I know that content played by the MVPs are processed by the Sage server (right ?) but I am hoping that is not the case for the HD100s.

The reason why I think this matters is that I am hoping to minimize the load on the Sage server and maximize the use of the NAS.

All my clients are either HD100s or MVPs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Sage Icon

Clients can access directly from a network store if they have the approriate access. Extenders (MVP, Placeshifter and HD100) all go via the server.

Matt
Old 05-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Sage Expert

The load on server is minimal. I am using P4 2.4Ghz with 1GB memory and the load on the server is very low.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the replies.

Here is my reasoning ... and concern;

If I am using two or three HD100 to watch content while the server is recording one or two HD streams, do I not risk "saturating" or at the very least, loading my network connection to the point where I might be having problems. I was hoping to move my recordings to the same NAS as my movies (an unRAID server), but this might actually make the problems worst.

Is there any reason why the HD-100 could not be made to access the file being played directly like a client ? Has anyone made this as a request of Sage ?

Since there should not be any need for transcoding, would this not be a more efficient model to serve content to the HD-100 ?

Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Upgrade to a gigabit network and NIC. Use Intel.

If that doesn't work, try putting your HDHomerun devices on a seperate vlan/network and 2nd NIC to your Sage Server.

I don't think there is an easy solution here. If you use your Sage Server as a "passthrough" device to record the HDHomerun streams and put them on the NAS Server, it might be okay for a stream or two, or it might stutter on three or four. It's hard to tell. A single gigabit NIC should be able to handle all that, assuming everything else is up to snuff. (ie. Stay away from NVidia's gigabit NIC on some nForce boards. It's crap)

Robert