SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Sage User

Linux and HDHR

Well, I took the plunge today and purchased the Linux version of SageTV. The install was easy enough (I did this once before), but for the life of me, I can't get the HDHR to work properly.

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 and SageTV sees the two tuners, but I get no signal for everything. I have a switch at the server and HDHR and it doesn't even look like the server is even talking to the HDHR.

Any suggestions? I followed the SageTV Digital Cable install guide from Sillicondust's website without any success.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Sage User

You should be able to get at least some signal -

Have you done a channel scan using the linux tool that you compile or the windows one? I find that one most important before even starting up sage.

I've got a massive readme churning, and sagetv is helping me with HDHR issues - but mine was mainly around watching and recording at the same time over HDHR

First, if you have a windows box, download their windows config manager - do the configuration in there, or compile their linux tool

I find the windows one much eaiser to use.

I have only used it for tuning ATSC though - in the config, make sure you select Digital Antenna, and Sage TV - then go to each tuner and do a "scan" it should pick up channels

Then, under each channel under I think the config tool, you can select 8vsb, and click on VLC, this should show you the live stream through windows, so you can eliminated the linux part.

You should have green bars, yellow and down is starting to push it.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Sage User

Thanks.

I had a working MythTV installation using the HDHR on the same box without any issues. I just purchased the HD Extended and wanted to switch to SageTV (I have another location with SageTV so I was familiar with it).

I just wiped out the installation and put CentOS on it (I think following a post from you). I think I locked out the activation since it doesn't work anymore (I just e-mailed them).

It was odd, I could tune from Windows using the HDHR Setup and VLC without any issues. When I would go into SageTV, it wouldn't do anything.

The scan tool from HDHR ran fine and found the channels I needed without any issues.

How did you configure the HDHR in SageTV? Did you let it scan the channels? Or did you enter the information like it says in the Windows section x or x-y-z?

Thanks for helping with this. Once I get the activation working, I'm going to keep trying.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Sage User

I did it exactly the way that the hdhomerun tutorial for sage windows did

things I did do first though, was configure and do the scanning from windows with hdhomerun program, made sure to have it set as digital antenna, etc

I'm still have major issues with HDhomerun, I havn't been able to get more logs sagtv support mainly because wife has recording scheduled and I don't have time to play around with it =)

under windows, and mythtv, hdhomerun works flawlessly - I have not tried sagetv for windows, but it looks like success stories also -

I have not seen anyone so far get hdhomerun working correctly from the forum, I've asked the few who were ambigious about it, but they have not PM'd me back.

I currently run a Avermedia 180, and Kworld 115 (which I recompiled the kernel for 2.6.24.4), and a HDhomerun

I can remove the HDhomerun from my system, and everything works perfectly

I can record 1 and watch 1 (or live tv) properly. If I do the HDhomerun, I can only record/watch 1, if I try to use the 2nd tuner for everything it does no signal.

I've test it with everything in, and I can record 2, watch 1, but unable to do anything with the 4th tuner, again the dual HDhomerun tuner issue.

Recording though, HDhomerun seems to work fine, I can record 4 with everything, and when I just had the HDhomerun could record 2 fine, it's just when doing mixed things like watching live TV.

I've tried different Java versions, with no luck, I think it's just a Sagetv linux and HDhomerun bug right now. My logs don't look like much, it just tunes to an HDhomerun, then says it closes miniplayer and thats it, sometime a bunch of Java Null pointer references, but that happens, even without the HDhomerun and I don't think that affects anything much.

I've set encoder_merit in sage.properties, with my non HDhomerun adapters as higher merit, but it still uses the HDhomerun frequently.

Sagetv_0.txt seems to be the main log of these things - here is an example when it tunes the HDhomerun with an error

Code:
Thu 5/22 15:54:33.180 HDHRCaptureDevice->doTuneChannel(30-12-1,true)
Thu 5/22 15:54:41.500 Closing down MiniPlayer
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
Thu 5/22 15:54:41.500   at sage.b0.void(Unknown Source)
Thu 5/22 15:54:41.500   at sage.b0.free(Unknown Source)
Thu 5/22 15:54:41.500   at sage.VideoFrame.a(Unknown Source)
Thu 5/22 15:54:41.500   at sage.VideoFrame.a(Unknown Source)
Thu 5/22 15:54:41.500   at sage.VideoFrame.run(Unknown Source)
Thu 5/22 15:54:41.500   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source
I'm running at around 98% or more for each channel for quality seen by HDhomerun in windows and it runs perfect there with the vlc - I've got everything on a gig switch, hdhomerun is just 100BaseT though, I've never seen 1 channel pump out more than about 20Mbps, I've also done crossovercable from HDhomerun to 2ndary interface on my server, running DHCP, and it behaves the same.

My server - Debian i386, 32 bit java 1.5.4, sil sata II controller PCIX, seagate 7200 SATAII drive 400GB, 12GB ram, dual opteron 850HE 2.4ghz, using placeshifter and HD100 Extender, gig switch, cat 6e, intel MT1000 nix, Kworld 115 ATSC, Avermedia A180 ATSC, Hdhomerun

Last edited by Zervun; 05-22-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Sage User

So I have tested the new beta 6.4.3, it seems from about 20 minutes of tiddling with it that HDHR is fully functional under it - just an FYI, very peliminary though
Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Sage User

WooHoo! I have TV!

It was tough, but the timing was right!

I am using the 6.4.3 version of the SageTV server running under Linux and I just upgraded the HD Extender to the beta version (I was having issues with playing previously recorded videos - fixed with beta version firmware).

I had to handle the channel mapping differently though. Instead of the 20-4-3 that the HDHR software shows, I actually had to use the Cox RF information. So, if Cox listed it as 103.3, I had to enter 103-0-3. Sometimes, I would have to look at the last number and go 1 higher or lower (the listing might be off).

Thanks for everyone's help with this.
Tuner(s) - 2x HVR 1600 (SD only)
Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Sage User

Have been testing for a few days, and it appears no issues with HDHR under the beta version - in fact I havn't had any bugs with anything in a few days.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zervun View Post
in fact I havn't had any bugs with anything in a few days.
shhh