SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-31-2004, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Time Scroll Issue

I don't know if everyone had this problem but I found with the timescroll the right arrow and the left arrow wouldn't do anything. Well after working with the beta for awhile I think I either found a good way to do it or this might be a redesign with the new version. Using timescroll then either FF or RW will move you 2:30 on the time bar.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Sage Expert

I think they're still working on the mouse control in 2.0.XX (if that's what you're using).
Old 01-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Do you mean entering FF2 and Rew2 mode?, using the ff/rew keys to skip 2:30 in either direction, then exiting the mode to set the play point to that location? That's been there. If you mean something else, I'm not clear on what youy are describing.

- Andy
Old 01-31-2004, 09:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Before in time scroll (not using a mouse)you would enable time scroll with your command (keyboard (ctl-G)or remote) then right arrow over to any time in the video and hit the time scroll control again. This way you could easily move 2, 5 ,10 30 minutes, wherever you wanted in the video. Now when you enable time scroll the right or left arrows don't move it anywhere. But I found out that time scroll plus FF or RW will moved you in 2 min 30 sec increments. Obviously alot of people were not using the time scroll function. Has nothing to do with the FF2 or RW2. Hit CTRL-G on your keyboard. The time indicator arrow will turn a different color. Now hit your command for FF. You could keep hitting FF so you are 10 minutes ahead in the video. Now hit CTRL-G again. You've just jumped 10 minutes into the video. I use to use it to get thru commericals with a couple clicks.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Administrator

OK, we are talking about the same exact thing, but for some reason the keys on our remotes must have been mapped differently. For me, I have _always_ used the ff & rew buttons on the remote (on either side of the play button on silver hauppauge remote), but the amount of time they jumped depended on whether I first pressed the 'stop' button, which toggled what I was referring to as ff2/rew2 & you referred to as timescroll -- same as pressing Ctrl+G. For the keyboard, ff = Ctrl+F, rew = Ctrl+A.

What keys/buttons were you referring to as "right arrow and the left arrow"? Do you mean the actual arrow keys on the keyboard?

This ff2/rew2 mode is used by many people & has been discussed many times, so it certainly isn't the case that no one noticed this before.

In short, this didn't change for me at all from version 1.4 to 2.

Interesting. I just noticed that the properties file has these settings:

videoframe/ff_time=10000
videoframe/ff_time2=150000
videoframe/rew_time=-10000
videoframe/rew_time2=-150000

AND

ui/time_scroll_amount=150000

That makes me wonder: just _which_ values are being used for ff2/rew2 and/or time_scroll!? Is time_scroll something different than ff2/rew2?

- Andy
Old 01-31-2004, 11:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
That makes me wonder: just _which_ values are being used for ff2/rew2 and/or time_scroll!? Is time_scroll something different than ff2/rew2?
The properties settings for

videoframe/ff_time=

is used when you press the FF button on the Hauppauge remote. The settings for

videoframe/ff_time2=

are used when you press the SKIP button (at the bottom of the remote). These are indeed different from the time_scroll values. In my system, I have FF2 and RW2 set for 30 seconds so I can better jump over commercial blocks. I left the time scroll value alone (which makes it easier for me to move to the start or end of a program).
Old 02-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by fidget
The properties settings for

videoframe/ff_time=

is used when you press the FF button on the Hauppauge remote. The settings for

videoframe/ff_time2=

are used when you press the SKIP button (at the bottom of the remote). These are indeed different from the time_scroll values.
Well no wonder I wasn't following what gplasky was saying! The Skip and Replay buttons on the Hauppauge remote have never done anything for me when in playback mode. I've only been able to use them to scroll lists by a page at a time.

I looked up the ff2/rew2 commands in v2b11 & they aren't assigned to anything, so that explains that. Now to see if I can turn that on...

Thanks, I've learned something new.

- Andy
Old 02-01-2004, 12:45 AM
Administrator

I give up... what did you do you get the skip button to be ff2? Do you still have page up/down capabilty on listing screens? Maybe this has to do with v2 changes?

You can't simply assign it to the ff2 command in detailed setup, since that would remove the page down functionality & scrolling w/o page down is tedious. (Or, did you use something else for page down??)

I can't even find where these assignments are made, since there are no key/remote codes assigned in the properties file. Unless it is "keyboard_accelerators=" and uses some sort of 3-number code values.

- Andy
Old 02-01-2004, 08:34 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm not using the Happpauge remote but I had always used channel up/down as page up/down. This worked for me by default. So in the Guide using channel up/down pages the screen. In full screen TV it changes the channel. For me if I used FFW2 and RW2 I would need two more buttons used on my remote. With the time scroll I assigned one button and also have the flexabilty of easily moving ahead any amount of time. My FF and RW is set for about 30 seconds.

Gerry
Old 02-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Sage Icon

This is how I have my Hauppauge remote laid out:

Old 02-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the clear listing.

I see now that you've reorganized things quite a bit, so that explains what happened to ff2/rew2 and page up/down. I gues I need a remote with more buttons...

- Andy
Old 02-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I gues I need a remote with more buttons...
I am use to my TiVo remote, so don't miss the additional functions. With the addition of the page up/channel up and page down/channel down keys, I have been able to replicate the TiVo functionality. Althought I am using three more buttons/functions than my old TiVo (the TiVo had a right/back key for when watching a program) I am not going to do without FF2 and RW2 . I have finally been able to program my universal remote and put away my Hauppauge remote .
Old 02-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Sorry to have gotten this off topic a little bit, but since it is still dealing w/time scroll & ff, I suppose it isn't _too_ far off...

Quote:
Originally posted by fidget
I have finally been able to program my universal remote and put away my Hauppauge remote .
I like most of the keys' functionality on my Hauppauge remote, so there aren't many for me to remap for ff2/rew2... leaving me wondering again about other, more plentifully-keyed, remotes. (I would like to add more than just ff2/rew2.) You need a new IR receiver for your universal remote, correct? (USB-UIRT, for example.) From what I recall reading here in the past, I'm under the impression that the Hauppauge receiver can only use its own remote.

- Andy
Old 02-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You need a new IR receiver for your universal remote, correct? (USB-UIRT, for example.) From what I recall reading here in the past, I'm under the impression that the Hauppauge receiver can only use its own remote.
My universal remote is a learning remote. Because of this, I am limited to those functions that are mapped to buttons on the Hauppauge remote. I haven't wanted to take the time (yet) to work with Grinder.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

I was looking for a remote with 2 separate nav sections, up/down/left/right, one dedicated to sage navigation and one dedicated to content transport. A cheap Phillips programmable/learning fit the bill. I programmed a Sony, code 801 tv remote that has 2 nav sections and supports all of the buttons. I then taught Sage the buttons via usbuirt using the oob mappings in properties. No girder, simple and sweet.

You can do the same thing with just about any remote that has the buttons you like along with usbuirt.

I have done 2 major recodings in a week and will probably do a couple more before I a 'completely' satisfied. Create the label overlay and paste it on the remote and, voila, custom hard button remote.

If Sage gives us all of the required mappings, like the missing Recorded Programs List button, then this seems to be a pretty good hardbutton remote solution. I like it so far but my maps are not quite right yet. I have played with lcd programmables like Pronto but I like running the remote on the couch in the dark by feel and you can't beat hardbuttons for that. Just need to find the right layout.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:17 AM

Quote:
I was looking for a remote with 2 separate nav sections, up/down/left/right, one dedicated to sage navigation and one dedicated to content transport.
Yeah, it's hard to find a good hard button remote that has a double nav layout. And when you do find one alot of them use one of the Nav sections to double as volume/channel control, just like the Hauppauge remote. That's why so far I've stuck with my Tivo remote. I just move the switch to "2" and it's off to the races. If Jeff just adds the ability for the "home" command(mapped to Tivo button on my remote) to toggle between the main menu and SageRecordings I'll have all the direct access I need. For those of you looking for a good PVR remote a Tivo is a good way to go, see below.
Hit this link for a bigger/clearer picture that was too large to post in thread.
You can get these from the Tivo store under accessories. Here's a direct link, I hope it works as it sometimes hard to find from the main store page. Anyway they go for $30 and work great with a IR reciever like the USB-UIRT.

glbrown,
What was the model/brand of the remote you bought?
Old 02-02-2004, 02:44 AM
Administrator

There's something else I'm curious about: once you use a non-Hauppauge remote with the usbuirt, how are its commands handled by the system?

It sounds like it 'talks' to SageTV directly, so that even when sleeping, using the 'power' button will wake it. If this is the case, then you can not use that remote to control some other program on the system w/o using something like Girder instead, right?

The one nice thing about the Hauppauge remote is that I can edit irremote.ini to control a few different programs. The downside, of course, is that I'm stuck w/that one remote, or at least just the button codes it supports.

- Andy
Old 02-02-2004, 03:00 AM

Quote:
There's something else I'm curious about: once you use a non-Hauppauge remote with the usbuirt, how are its commands handled by the system?...It sounds like it 'talks' to SageTV directly
Yeah, the USB-UIRT does talk directly with Sage. I'm able to put Sage to sleep and wake it up without worrying about loss of focus. But this is all done by Sage using a USB-UIRT driver and info that Sage stores in the "sage.properties"(for IR recieve) and the RemoteCodes directory(for IR transmit).

Quote:
If this is the case, then you can not use that remote to control some other program on the system w/o using something like Girder instead, right?
Correct, since these commands(specifically the recieve ones) are mapped directly to Sage's internal commands you can't use Sage to control other programs(maybe Studio will change this). You can do that with the Hauppauge remote since it is just sending keystrokes. You would need to run Girder to be able to control other programs with the same remote. You can run both Girder and Sage's native USB-UIRT at the same time with a driver* provided by the USB-UIRT's maker. However unless you only wanted to use each key on the remote for one app you would be better off just running Girder and using sendmessage to Sage and the other programs. This would allow the same remote key to do several jobs depending on the software you wanted to control at the time.

*A few have reported trouble with the dual Girder/Sage driver that allows SageTV to natively support IR transmission on the USB-UIRT. But it doesn't seem like a very common problem. Also it looks like a recent change in that driver may have fixed the issue for those who did have it. Even if this new driver doesn't fix it, the issue only seeems to occur when using the native transmit dirver not the older native recieve driver that was added to Sage long ago. So if you don't need Sage to be able to transmit IR it wouldn't effect you. Also you could just allow Girder to control everything in which case you bypass the whole issue.

I hope that made sense.

Last edited by justme; 02-02-2004 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

<What was the model/brand of the remote you bought?>

Justme, It is a 5 device learning remote from Philips/Magnavox PM525S. I think it was $15 at WalMart.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

I can't find

ui/time_scroll_amount=150000

in my properties. I added it in and time scrolling is still 2:30 a click. I wanted to play with different values.