SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:27 PM

Has anyone successfully changed their time scroll duration? I changed "ui/time_scroll_amount=150000"(a 2.5 minute skip) to "ui/time_scroll_amount=600000"(what should be a 10 minute skip). But when I use time scroll, I'm still stuck with the 2.5 minute jumps. This stinks since I already have a 2.5minute jump mapped to FF2. So I'd like to have the ability to do long(10 minute or more) jumps using time scroll. And yes I did this while SageTv was closed.

Does anyone know if this property setting still works or is this a bug? I installed over my 1.4.10 version so the property could have been carried over from that version. I checked my backup 1.4 properties file and the time scroll property was there. The fact that glbrown had to add it to his sage.properties file makes me wonder if Sage even uses this value anymore. I'm wondering if this is just my setup, a bug, or a now unused property in Sage2. Any ideas opinions?
Old 02-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Administrator

I just tried editing/changing the following:

ui/time_scroll_amount=600000
videoframe/ff_time=100000
videoframe/ff_time2=300000

The only one that made a difference was ff_time, where it jumped ahead 1:40. Using ctrl+g, then ctrl+f, still resulted in a jump of 2:30, instead of either 5:00 or 10:00. I then set Ctrl+\ to be ff2, but that also resulted in a jump of 2:30. Either the time_scroll_amount and ff_time2 settings are no longer used, or this is a bug. I see no other properties file entries to control this. (Just like I see no properties to manually set key commands.) Just _where_ are these settings stored now? Time to go file a bug report & maybe it will be fixed or commented on in the future.

Sure would be nice if there was complete & up to date documentation for the properties file...

- Andy
Old 02-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Like justme, I have already changed the times on ff/rw and ff2/rw2 and want a much bigger jump for time scroll.

I copied the entire ui/rc_mappings from 1.4 into a fresh install of the beta and they all work. If fact, I remapped my time scroll button this morning. You need to shut down .11, start up 1.4 and map the button. Copy the resulting line from the 1.4 properties file to the .11 file. At least it works for the remote buttons. As we have discovered, time scroll got disconnected.

We used to say in sw development, this is a 'cute' bug.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:12 PM

Opus4,
I can verify that on my system duration chages to FF2/RW2 do show up in Sage playback. If your were testing FF2 in TimeScroll mode I don't think FF2 ever worked there. I think Timescroll just used the RW and FF commands. When I tested FF2 in Timescroll mode the video would jump at the normal FF2 rate and when I left Timescroll mode it would drop back to where ever the time pointer was. I believe that is the way 1.4.10 worked as well. However when I used FF/RW(in TimeScroll mode) it would always advance/retreat in 2.5 minute jumps regardless of any of the relevant settings. So I think in my case at least, it's just the TimeScroll mode FF/RW duration(ui/time_scroll_amount) that is broken.

I really hope they haven't just removed the ability to adjust it. Either way that's a bug to me so I'll file one too. Maybe we'll see it back soon.

Quote:
Sure would be nice if there was complete & up to date documentation for the properties file...
Amen. Or at least a comment in the each versions release notes about which properties were added/removed/changed in comparison to the 1.4.10 properties file reference listing Sage has on their website.
Edit:glbrown,Sorry I cross posted with you. I am such a slooow typist, believe it or not I started typing before your post was there. Still it's good to see you confirm our suspicions about the time scroll duration being broken.

Last edited by justme; 02-02-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by justme
If your were testing FF2 in TimeScroll mode I don't think FF2 ever worked there.
Just to clarify: you can see that I set all 3 values to different numbers, none of which correspond to 2:30. (150000) I tried using both time scroll and ff2 via the keyboard in SageTVClient -- neither one matched the value I set in the properties file: they both always used 2:30. (I didn't try it in SageTV, since it was recording. I did not want to exit/restart it at that time.)

If you are able to modify your ff2 settings, that is different from what I am experiencing.

Also, I am sure I was editing the correct properties file, since if I were to change a value while sage was running, it would get reset when I exited SageTVClient (Besides... the ff time did change, so I had to be editing the correct file.)

- Andy
Old 02-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by justme
For those of you looking for a good PVR remote a Tivo is a good way to go, see below.
I swear by my Tivo remote. It's nice and heavy and is one of the most natural feeling remotes out there. There are very few buttons which require me to actually look at the remote before pressing them. Good stuff.

-Watter
Old 02-02-2004, 05:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Just found some info from an old post that helps clarify my original post. The time scroll wasn't designed to be used with left arrow/right arrow key. It WAS designed to be used with FF & RW. My bad-but that did work on my system. Here is the original quote from 5-7-2003 from Dan:

Quote:
You can specify in the .properties file the settings for skip forward/back. Find the lines with rew or ff and the setting is in milliseconds. Just make sure Sage isn't running when you make the changes. We are going to try to work these settings into the application directly for the future.

There is also the "Time Scroll" feature of SageTV which is set by default to 2 1/2 minutes. To use hit "Time Scroll" then FF/Rew and then Time Scroll to jump to that point. You can also change this time setting to something you find more convenient.

Multple speeds for ff/rew is on the list for the future but nothing planned yet.

Doesn't really explain how to change that default to from 2 1/2 minutes but maybe it is by just changing the FF & RW times.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

OK.
Here's a theory why we can't change the time scroll time. In trying to solve another problem this morning (actually traced back to server problem) I did a clean install of the Sage TV client, no upgrade and didn't use a copy of my existing properties file-a virgin. Looking thru this virgin properties file the setting ui/time_scroll_amount=xxxxxx doesn't exist!

My thoughts are this: this is in the ui portion of the properties file. They are still working on the mouse interface, icons, etc.-in other words the rest of the ui portion. Since the time scroll was easily controlled by the mouse I just don't think the final working of it is done, hence no way to change the default. I think the default is programmed into the program and at this time we can't change it. Just my thoughts.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:51 PM

I still say this 'ui/time_scroll_amount" is the logical setting for controlling the amount of the jump in TimeScroll mode. Especially since it's default in my sage.properties file was for 2.5 minutes. I think they just forgot to have Sage read the property in the Sage2 beta. I really hope they haven't tried to remove this functionality. Anyway, I've already submitted a bug report on this.

Edit:Ahhh! another cross post, but with gplasky this time. I need to type faster. Oh well, at least his theory is sound. And it also explains why FF/RW half worked and why FF2/RW2 basically acted like TimeScroll mode wasn't even on.

Last edited by justme; 02-17-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Been there, done that. The coder checks out a block, copies some new stuff in and some old stuff out, then checks the block back in. He just missed a line. He will get it back.

Like I said, cute.