SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, after a format and reinstall of everything(except Sage) it now works awesomely with the software it came with. Now I need to install Sage again, but I am confident it will work. All the codecs installed over time and graphedits and other stuff had something messed up I bet. I will report back when I have Sage reinstalled to let you know if it works. May or may not be tonight, time to play some GRID and celebrate
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, Sage installed and HD-PVR working flawlessly including with firewire channel changing, WOOHOO!

It had to be something I did with codec or something, who knows, but a complete reinstall fixed everything. Hope this gives others some hope, at least you have a last resort of reformatting.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Sage Icon

I was having the no signal problem initially... At first I only installed the driver, then went into Sage to encoder setup and I could not get preview. I tried picking a show and nothing there either. I restarted sage a couple times and still would not fire up. Then I installed all of the included software and tried with arcsoft... got an error about the encoder in use by other software. Killed sage service and tried again. Still nothing. Power cycled the HD PVR with the pushbutton on front and viola!!! I had a picture.
Now there were a couple reboots and such sprinkled in and an update to the beta driver as well, but it is working now. I even watched part of deadliest catch on the HD extender. Not running long enough to rule out a heat issue, but we'll see tomorrow.
Sorry, can't say exactly what fixed it, but seems that reboot and or powercycle the unit seemed to do it.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:21 AM
SageTVaholic

So, are any of the lights on this thing supposed to actually, you know, light up? I get an amber blip for about a half a second when I power it up but then there is nothing (no lights on the front and no blue light).

Oh yeah, I can't get any video at all out of it either. The drivers install and the Arcsoft capture app claims to be detecting 1920x1080 at 7.6Mbps, but the screen is just black. I also get a black screen and 'No Signal' in SageTV.

Guess I have to give Hauppauge a call tomorrow.

Not feeling much Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-04-2008, 05:26 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Well, thanks for your tales of rebuild Bandit. This gives me a little hope. I have tried on three machines at this point, all different in hardware and OS, but I haven't tried from a clean machine which has just been rebuilt. It will be interesting if this makes it work, but I am not going to get my hopes up just yet.
I will let you guys know later this evening.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
So, are any of the lights on this thing supposed to actually, you know, light up? I get an amber blip for about a half a second when I power it up but then there is nothing (no lights on the front and no blue light).

Oh yeah, I can't get any video at all out of it either. The drivers install and the Arcsoft capture app claims to be detecting 1920x1080 at 7.6Mbps, but the screen is just black. I also get a black screen and 'No Signal' in SageTV.

Guess I have to give Hauppauge a call tomorrow.

Not feeling much Aloha,
Mike
Mike, thats the same thing I was seeing, unfortunately I stopped diagnosing and just formatted and everything is working fine.

As for lights, the only light I see is the small blue led and then the red one while it is in use.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
Well, thanks for your tales of rebuild Bandit. This gives me a little hope. I have tried on three machines at this point, all different in hardware and OS, but I haven't tried from a clean machine which has just been rebuilt. It will be interesting if this makes it work, but I am not going to get my hopes up just yet.
I will let you guys know later this evening.
Yeah, definately let us know, so we can have people stop investigating a "heat" issue. I just have serious doubts that is a problem, but we can't rule it out just yet. Mine was in use all night, so no heat issue here, and it is warm where it is.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Yeah, definately let us know, so we can have people stop investigating a "heat" issue. I just have serious doubts that is a problem, but we can't rule it out just yet. Mine was in use all night, so no heat issue here, and it is warm where it is.
Same. Mine works flawlessly with the HD100 (shows 1-2 secs of video to the Sage Client PC and then freezes). It's sitting on top of my cable box which is really warm, but it's been recording tons of stuff since Monday without any issue. Of course, a small percentage of devices could have a heat issue... it's their initial production run, ya know
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Sage Expert

I'm in the middle of the failure loop with symptoms described by others. Freezing video, no audio etc. I tried to be clever and graft it on to my existing setup, just installing the driver. After work I'll do a nuke-n-pave virgin install by the numbers to verify operation. Serves me right for taking shortcuts.

-bob
Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

The biggest hicup I saw is that other Hauppauge hardware conflicts with the HD-PVR.

Installing the 3.4d1 version of Hauppauge drivers puts in the drivers for everything except the HD-PVR. The order that I installed in, and is currently working, is :

HWClear - remote all Hauppauge and reboot
HD-PVR beta drivers (HD-PVR works good, IR functional!)
3.4d1 (HD-PVR still works, but IR blaster no longer works)
HD-PVR beta install (IR works again)

btl.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
The biggest hicup I saw is that other Hauppauge hardware conflicts with the HD-PVR.

Installing the 3.4d1 version of Hauppauge drivers puts in the drivers for everything except the HD-PVR. The order that I installed in, and is currently working, is :

HWClear - remote all Hauppauge and reboot
HD-PVR beta drivers (HD-PVR works good, IR functional!)
3.4d1 (HD-PVR still works, but IR blaster no longer works)
HD-PVR beta install (IR works again)

btl.
Wait a sec, HD-PVR Beta Drivers and Beta Install? I saw the beta drivers that SHS posted, but whats this HD-PVR Beta Install, are you installing the beta drivers 2 times?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Sorry - that wasn't clear. I reinstalled the beta drivers from SHS. Right on top of the previous install.

btl.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgGuy View Post
I'm in the middle of the failure loop with symptoms described by others. Freezing video, no audio etc. I tried to be clever and graft it on to my existing setup, just installing the driver. After work I'll do a nuke-n-pave virgin install by the numbers to verify operation. Serves me right for taking shortcuts.

-bob
Bob, I get no audio if using Optical. Need to make sure your cablebox is supplying PCM audio and not bitstream. the RCA sound will work if you can't set the cablebox to PCM. If you are using the component RCA audio, well, I don't know what your issue could be.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Sage Icon

I have yet to get sound from my DCT-6200 cable box from its analog L+R audio ports. Going to have to bite the bullet and hook it up direct to the AV receiver to see if those ports are even operational. I dont think they get disabled if there is optical or spdif hooked up (but I yanked those as well). I dont think I found any place in my DCT to set PCM vs. bitstream (or anything even remotely similar) either. I hope those new drivers are not a long way off (the ones that support 5.1).!

*Edit*
After reading through the DCT-6200 manual, I remembered that there is a volume control on the DCT itself. Thats the first thing I am going to check, that its not muted or turned all the way down. This setting would likely only affect the RCA audio ports and not the optical/spdif. Might be something for others to look at as well, if they are getting no sound.

Last edited by Kirby; 06-04-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Sage Icon

Got my sound working, it was the DCT volume down all the way. As soon as I turned the volume up it works!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
I just moved my HDPVR to a laptop in the house, which does not have SageTV on it. I installed the drivers etc... same proceedure, and tested with ArcSoft, and ..... same thing, three seconds and freeze video. Different hardware, different OS "Vista" and Different software Arcsoft, with the same results. I am starting to believe, my box, is defective.
I'm with you. After initial failures I did a clean install on a fresh XP SP3 system with no other software/encoders. Removed other capture devices. Using the Arcsoft app will play for maybe a minute or two before freezing. Requires power cycling the HD-PVR to get it to work again. Starting to smell like defective hardware to me.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Sage Expert

Heat related?

Whether playing through the ArcSoft app or extender, mine will run considerably longer before freezing if I stand it on its side. I do live in a toasty climate (west tx temps > 100 for past 5 days) but the house is kept reasonably cool at around 78.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Sage Icon

Well, it looks like the heat issue is true. At least for me it's true.
I formatted my hard drive. Installed XP with SP2, installed NIC, MotherBoard, Video, and Sound Drivers, and rebooted when prompted. Installed Hauppauge Software, after plugging up the device and ignoring the "New Hardware Wizard", as per Hauppauge Instructions, and rebooted. I installed newest driver, via SHS's Website, and rebooted. I installed SageTV, and entered in all licenses, etc... Configured SageTV for the one and only capture device installed on the system, the HDPVR.
Open TV Guide on the Extender, and select my HD Channel for all it's HighDef glory, and ............................................."No Signal"

I am sticking with the heat issue being a reality. You can't get any cleaner than the install I did.

I am going to bed, and crying myself to sleep...........

Update:
I put the box on it's side and have the biggest fan I can find blowing on it. So far a few minutes of HD Capture and Playback!!! This further supports the Heat issue

Update #2:
The box quit after about five minutes, even with the fan blowing on it. Definately heat related.

Last edited by mikejaner; 06-04-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

No joy for me either. At first my IR blaster wouldn't work within sage, but switching to non-service mode fixed that. But nothing I do prevents it from eventually freezing up and needing to be powercycled (the hdpvr, that is. sage server hangs in there). It has been on its side the entire time, and it is located in the basement. Don't know the ambient temps, but I always need slippers for my tootsies, so it can't be that warm.

I blame heat. Ironically, these were delayed when they couldn't get enough cases, and we all joked that we didn't need a case to begin with. Hmmmmm......
Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Sage Icon

OK, so I was told, I couldn't sleep until I got at least one tuner working for my wife to watch TV while I am at work tomorrow. I set up the HDPVR with the Svideo Input and started testing.
Svideo is completely stable, and I checked the bottom of the HDPVR, it is room temperature as opposed to warm to the touch when it is recording off of Component inputs.