SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Which Dual PCI DVB-T Card

I am about to set up a new SageTV server and was looking for suggestions as to which Dual PCI DVB-T Card to fit. In fact I am thinking of fitting 2 x dual cards. Will be using the Crystal Palace transmitter.

The Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT (Dual DVB-T) PCIexpress has been recommended, but I really do not know which to go for, or whether it makes any difference to the resulting picture/sound and reliability.

Any suggestions based on others experiences welcomed.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have a Hauppauge Nova-T-500 (PCI) and it works fine, but I haven't tried 2 of them together.

There are other cards out there, but I'd personally get either

Hauppauge Nova-T-500 for PCI
or
Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT for PCI-Express.

Its all down to what you can fit in your motherboard.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I have a Hauppauge Nova-T-500 (PCI) and it works fine, but I haven't tried 2 of them together.

There are other cards out there, but I'd personally get either

Hauppauge Nova-T-500 for PCI
or
Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT for PCI-Express.

Its all down to what you can fit in your motherboard.
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't realised the Cinergy was a PCi-Express which rules it out I think. So maybe the Nova-T looks a good bet.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianb View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't realised the Cinergy was a PCi-Express which rules it out I think. So maybe the Nova-T looks a good bet.
What OS you using? I have had trouble with the Hauppauge Nova-T-500 and Windows Home Server (blue screens) and read around here that others did too - though I have used it fine on other operating systems.

I am now using multiple Hauppauge USB sticks with WHS.

T
Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
I know you said you wanted pci but I use two Nova TD dual DVB-T USB tuners without any major problems. I used USB to keep my pci slots free for DVB-S tuners.

Its just another option.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:10 PM

I currently use 2 x Nova T 500 PCI on the same Crystal Palace transmitter, they have been working really well for months now. Previously I had a couple of the Nova USB sticks but the picture use to break up a lot - may have just been my setup but the PCI cards were a massive improvement.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann View Post
I currently use 2 x Nova T 500 PCI on the same Crystal Palace transmitter, they have been working really well for months now. Previously I had a couple of the Nova USB sticks but the picture use to break up a lot - may have just been my setup but the PCI cards were a massive improvement.
Thanks for that. I think that I will order one of them and give it a trial on a spare Windows Vista PC (3GHz P4, 1GB RAM). If all goes well, I will consider getting a second card and getting an extra, large hard disk.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
I know you said you wanted pci but I use two Nova TD dual DVB-T USB tuners without any major problems. I used USB to keep my pci slots free for DVB-S tuners.

Its just another option.
Thanks for your input.

Do you or anyone else know if/how it is possible to get the new "Freesat" working with SageTV (I don't mean the old Sky "Freesat" card, but the new service just being launched)?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormadearmy View Post
What OS you using? I have had trouble with the Hauppauge Nova-T-500 and Windows Home Server (blue screens) and read around here that others did too - though I have used it fine on other operating systems.

I am now using multiple Hauppauge USB sticks with WHS.

T
Will be using on a Windows Vista PC.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianb View Post
Thanks for your input.

Do you or anyone else know if/how it is possible to get the new "Freesat" working with SageTV (I don't mean the old Sky "Freesat" card, but the new service just being launched)?
Read all this thread:-
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29522

I run a Nova-T 500 and 2 X Nova-T PCI (single tuner each) fine under XP.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've got a Nova T 500 as well.

I did have the one that supported diversity antennas (it has two arial sockets). that one crashed my SageTV Server at irregular intervals. (anywhere between hours and 5 days or so)

This could be because I'm in a weak signal area, but I've replaced it with the previous version that only has one socket and the server's been running for two weeks now.

Some versions may work better than others!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Another Nova-T-500 PCI user here. I haven't had any problems with it other than not being able to get them to tune after the server has been in standby, but this might be a bios setting that I haven't looked at properly.
Antec Sonata III, Abit AN-M2HD, AMD 4200+, Thermalright SI-128 Cooler, 2GB OCZ DDR2, 2x500Gb + 1x1Tb Samsung Spinpoint SATA II, Hauppauge Nova-T500, Technotrend 3200-S2 with CI, Oasis II CAM. Windows XP Home SP3, Logitech Harmony 525. Logitech DiNovo Edge
Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

i have a nova T-500 in our MCE computer which i will move over to my new sagetv server "windows home server" once i have it setup how i want it.

Paul
Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukka View Post
i have a nova T-500 in our MCE computer which i will move over to my new sagetv server "windows home server" once i have it setup how i want it.
Paul
Please let me know how that goes - as I have not been able to get my nova-T 500 stable in my WHS - and have read around the forums that others have issues too.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Its just another option.
I bought a Dual Nova T 500 PCI card and set it up and pleased to say it works really well. Will now consider getting a second unit, but wondering whether to hold off and get a DVB-S card to use with the new "Freesat" service?

Also, I am experiencing a "jerky" picture when panning on my HD100 extender which has been discussed in these forums as due to Uk requiring 50HZ PAL support in the HD100 firmware - which is missing at the moment. I have edited the extender .properties file to put in support for 50HZ but the extender reverts to its "standard" setting of 60HZ whenever it comes out of standby which is very annoying.

Another of my Tv's/extenders (using video and sound through HDMI) has no sound when set to 50HZ.

Has a date been set for upgraded firmware that will resolve this problem properly?
Old 06-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Ianb,

Take a look here

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...717#post285717

And here also

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...704#post285704
Old 06-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Many thanks, have downloaded latest beta version of server and upgraded HD extender boxes to latest beta firmware and followed instructions for resetting extender (holding menu & Up whilst powering on) and then resetting again to turn on PAL (holding menu & Down whilst powering on)..... and it seems to work! No more jerky panning!!!

One thing though, on one of my HD boxes (which feeds a Panasonic CRT by composite video) I have only enabled one video mode in server menu (576i), but in the SageTV extender's setup, I have two entries - one correct and one that says "Null". Any ideas how to sort this?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormadearmy View Post
Please let me know how that goes - as I have not been able to get my nova-T 500 stable in my WHS - and have read around the forums that others have issues too.
I've been using the Nova-500 in my WHS box with no issues whatsoever. I had to run the install program a few times for it to properly install (I got some error the first time, yet the second time it completed successfully) and the drivers have all been installed (I downloaded the server 2003/XP drivers for it). Now got Sage running as a service on it and it's been working pretty well, no blue screens or anything. I have been running PP1 Beta though, and now (that it came out today) PP1 RTM, so maybe you could try that?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettuk View Post
(I downloaded the server 2003/XP drivers for it). Now got Sage running as a service on it and it's been working pretty well, no blue screens or anything. I have been running PP1 Beta though, and now (that it came out today) PP1 RTM, so maybe you could try that?

What version drivers are you using - I may give it another go.

Thanks!
T
Old 07-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

taylormadearmy

I have been running sagetv nova T-500 for quite a few weeks now, and it has been ok i had to change a system file. which has sorted out the blue screen problem.

Thanks

Paul